Thai People

steveweaver99

Why is it that alot of Thai people (not all) I have encountered in Pattaya have no manners? They always seem to push in front of me when Im in the 7 11 or anywhere else for that matter and the shop assistants always prioritise the Thais? This has happened more than a dozen times.

This really pi@@es me off, they appear to have no respect for the Farang or they see the Farang as second class???

Your experiences and thoughts please.

Why is it that alot of Thai people (not all) I have encountered in Pattaya have no manners? They always seem to push in front of me when Im in the 7 11 or anywhere else for that matter and the shop assistants always prioritise the Thais? This has happened more than a dozen times.

This really pi@@es me off, they appear to have no respect for the Farang or they see the Farang as second class???

Your experiences and thoughts please.

I've experienced this on numerous occassions over the years as well, sometimes the cashier will push the pushers merchandise aside. You will also encounter Thais wanting to get into an elevator before the people in the elevator can get out. I don't know, perhaps in their upbringing they just aren't taught manners, therefore they have this "me first" attitude. Jai yen yen.

I've never had that problem in 7-11s but it's come up in other threads. I have however had more than a few "visitors" cut in front in places like fast food restaurants.

In general I find the Pattaya tourist areas ruder than other tourist areas. Away from the denser areas, it turns back into Thailand.

It's the face thing again........someone pushes in, staff serve them first as pointing out theres someone next in the que will cause loss of face to that customer and possible confrontation which they try to avoid. You either put up with it or you don't let it happen by pointing out that you are next not them.

I've had this a couple of times in my local 7/11.

The first time happened when I was next in the queue at the till and some lady barged in through the door shouts at the assistant that she wants something from behind the counter now!! The assistant ignores me and my goods to serve this rude lady so I asked her what she is doing. She said she was busy, I replied so am I and everyone else waiting to be served too. I told the assistant that if he serves her before me I will leave. He continued to do so, so I placed my unpurchased items on the counter and walked out, so did a few others.

The second time it happened, I raised my voice for all to hear and just said 'Get in the Queue like the rest of us'. The shop assistants who all know me now also refused to serve this person for her rude behaviour.

I'm normally quite chilled out and don't let most things bother me but there are limits and I can't cope with this behaviour.

Edited by joskydive

Your experiences and thoughts please

This is all about cultural differences that occur not just here but in many different countries. You are either trying to insinuate that Thais are not nice people or maybe that you have not yet got a grasp of the culture in Thailand. In many countries there are differing manners that don't equate with ours, this is not an issue really but just our inability to understand (or want to understand ) the Thai culture. They are inherently good people with a different set of life rules to ours.

I am a Brit and I would be embarrassed to even try to defend the way we often treated foreigners when they came to live among us. I believe the way we "think" we are treated by Thais is completely irrelevant against the way we have treated visitors to our own countries in years gone by as well as today.

I am sorry but Thais pushing in front of me in 7/11s doesn't really rock my boat!

Hi Dalmation

Thanks for your input. Its nothing to do with culture, I have tested this scenario and the Thai never seem to push in front of another Thai. The cashier will not prioritise Thai against Thai.

I would also like to add, my GF whos is Thai pushed infront of a customer yesterday and I pulled her up about it, the customer thanked me and said this was always happening to him.

Im not insinuating Thais are not nice people at all, you've taken it out of context, so rethink what you are saying. I am in Thailand now, so I dont wish to discuss other countries habits. Two wrongs dont make a right??

Edited by steveweaver99

I use to hold the doors open for Thai people behind me, and most of them use to walk through and never say thankyou, so now, i give them back the same treatment, i let the door go.

I now have learnt my lesson and will only hold the door to Farang who have better manners. They always say thankyou.

Yes pattaya girl I have also noticed the majority do not hold doors open. And if I do they NEVER say thankyou.

This is an observation, not conjecture. I have tested this over a long period of time. Ive spoken to other Farangs and they have also commented on this.

You will always get some Farangs that have never experienced this, this is why I mainly asked for peoples experiences.

Actualy surprisingly enough, sometimes when i let the door go, they smile.... it seems to have the opposite effect

I hate doing it by the way, but think that while in Thailand, do as the Thai's do, regarding the doors and manners anyway.

The reason why anyone, anywhere in the world pushes in front of a queue is because they are self centred arrogant people with a superiority complex. It usually doesn't even occur to them that they are doing anything ill-mannered. If it does, they are so selfish that they don't care.

The staff don't really want any confrontation, so they will serve the pig first unless another customer complains. After all they are staff, not the owners.

This is all about cultural differences that occur not just here but in many different countries. You are either trying to insinuate that Thais are not nice people or maybe that you have not yet got a grasp of the culture in Thailand. In many countries there are differing manners that don't equate with ours, this is not an issue really but just our inability to understand (or want to understand ) the Thai culture. They are inherently good people with a different set of life rules to ours.

I am a Brit and I would be embarrassed to even try to defend the way we often treated foreigners when they came to live among us. I believe the way we "think" we are treated by Thais is completely irrelevant against the way we have treated visitors to our own countries in years gone by as well as today.

I am sorry but Thais pushing in front of me in 7/11s doesn't really rock my boat!

So what you're saying Dalmation is that we should all adapt to the Thai culture and push in the queue ahead of everyone else.

Wouldn't that cause chaos with everyone all trying to push in foront of each other?

Oh hang on, that's how it is in India.

You will also encounter Thais wanting to get into an elevator before the people in the elevator can get out.

I have visited China several times and if you think the Thais are ill mannered about pusing in to elevators/trains, etc, you haven't seen anything yet. The Chinese are real steam rollers whe it comes to them going where they want to be.

Which makes me wonder, who is right? I mean there are over one billion people in China and they pretty much think of them selves first so maybe our western ideals of manners just don't apply in Asia?!?

(FWIW, I think it is rude to push into an elevator before the occupants have left. Same for line jumping. And yes, I've left my goods at the 7-11 counter and walked out a few times too :) )

The reason why anyone, anywhere in the world pushes in front of a queue is because they are self centred arrogant people with a superiority complex. It usually doesn't even occur to them that they are doing anything ill-mannered. If it does, they are so selfish that they don't care.

The staff don't really want any confrontation, so they will serve the pig first unless another customer complains. After all they are staff, not the owners.

I totally agree with this. I just think the majority of the Thais (In Pattaya) that I have come across think because they are Thai they have more right, e.g. Superiority Complex

I just dont buy this "cultural difference" concept. Total BULL

BTW if the Farang didnt come to Thailand where would Thailand be, did they ever think of that, or again do they really care, or are they so short sighted they never thought of this??

Edited by steveweaver99

I have visited China several times and if you think the Thais are ill mannered about pusing in to elevators/trains, etc, you haven't seen anything yet. The Chinese are real steam rollers whe it comes to them going where they want to be.

Which makes me wonder, who is right? I mean there are over one billion people in China and they pretty much think of them selves first so maybe our western ideals of manners just don't apply in Asia?!?

Isnt it just common sense that if someone is in the queue first they should be served first?? Its just plain discrimination. Ive never seen a Thai do it to a Thai, the elevator thing may just be a different matter.

Isnt it just common sense that if someone is in the queue first they should be served first?? Its just plain discrimination. Ive never seen a Thai do it to a Thai, the elevator thing may just be a different matter.

I agree about observing lines but one of the things I have learned while living abroad is to open my mind with respect to how the locals do things. I don't always agree with their behaviour but I know that my disapproval will not cause them to change. And I have observed Thais jumping ahead of other Thais. If someone is self centered and pushes in front of a foreigner, they will also do it to a fellow Thai.

Just my two satang

My favorite is when people force their way into the BTS before those exiting have a chance to clear the train. I seriously find this absurd sight to be one of the more pleasant things about Thailand, great way to alleviate some of the tension that builds up in Bangkok. Sometimes you get a chance to cop a feel too. :)

Your experiences and thoughts please

So the fact that you treated foreigners badly in the past makes it all right now that Thais can be discourtious to westeners because you feel guily. A need to balance the books. Two wrongs don't make a right.

This kind of thing doesn't happen to me a lot but when it does, like it did in the TRUE shop about 3 weeks ago, I just simply walked over to the counter moved the Thai customer's paperwork aside , edged her aside at the counter (gently) and put my stuff on the desk in front of the cashier. I was next in the queue and that was that. The funny thing is the staff apologised to the Thai customer. What she should have done was to apologise to me for trying/intending to serve the Thai cusomer in front of me out of sequence.

Where possible, I just don't allow people to do that to me. But of course I do it with a smile.

I've had this a couple of times in my local 7/11.

The first time happened when I was next in the queue at the till and some lady barged in through the door shouts at the assistant that she wants something from behind the counter now!! The assistant ignores me and my goods to serve this rude lady so I asked her what she is doing. She said she was busy, I replied so am I and everyone else waiting to be served too. I told the assistant that if he serves her before me I will leave. He continued to do so, so I placed my unpurchased items on the counter and walked out, so did a few others.

The second time it happened, I raised my voice for all to hear and just said 'Get in the Queue like the rest of us'. The shop assistants who all know me now also refused to serve this person for her rude behaviour.

I'm normally quite chilled out and don't let most things bother me but there are limits and I can't cope with this behaviour.

I don't blame you.. Good on you for speaking out and sticking up for yourself.. I find it very annoying and disrespectful when this happens. :)

I have experienced queue jumpers at 7-11. Usually they are Thai. This is Thailand after all. It does not happen even close to the majority of time. Sometimes when it happens, the clerks ignore the jumper and signal me on (especially in places that know me). Sometimes I feel I am getting BETTER treatment than Thais. Overall, I find this a very trivial matter at best. However, I also understand that people who get annoyed by it. I am usually not in much of a hurry!

Same as in a nightclub or disco. I go in, busting for the loo, join the long queue, and a Thai girl/lady walks in, times it well to run to the front of the queue, and then literally runs into the door of the toilet as the previous lady has opened it.

You will also encounter Thais wanting to get into an elevator before the people in the elevator can get out.

(FWIW, I think it is rude to push into an elevator before the occupants have left. Same for line jumping. And yes, I've left my goods at the 7-11 counter and walked out a few times too :) )

Fair enough if the 'incomers' don't mind being pushed back out of the lift / train by the 'exiters' and therefore miss it and have to wait for the next one!!

Same as in a nightclub or disco. I go in, busting for the loo, join the long queue, and a Thai girl/lady walks in, times it well to run to the front of the queue, and then literally runs into the door of the toilet as the previous lady has opened it.

I have experienced this A LOT in the ladies toilets in any of the night clubs I go to.. I usually try to stand in the middle of the isle instead of waiting in a queue near the wall, so that no-one can push in front of me. Very, very annoying...

That hasn't been my experience in Chiang Mai. I've found the Thai staff to be very polite and I often get a smile. I know that places where people have to line up in a big queue on a regular basis can be a little more intimidating, but that is natural everywhere.

Was waiting in line at Major for tickets and a farang with his obvious rent-a-girlfriend and she simply walked to the head of the line ahead of me. The farang looked really embarassed and said sorry, but I simply walked up next to her, at the counter, told her, 'hey, I'm here first. The line is back there" and pointed to the back of the line.

She lost major face and, instead of apologizing, got angry and threw a few explatives my way.

I laughed all the way up the escalator to the movies.

As for elevators, I simply barrel through Thais trying to get in before letting passengers out. A good elbow will teach em a lesson.

So what you're saying Dalmation is that we should all adapt to the Thai culture and push in the queue ahead of everyone else.

Wouldn't that cause chaos with everyone all trying to push in foront of each other?

Not saying that all, I thought I was getting across the idea of being tolerant and understanding of other cultures. Cultures are traits that are readily acceptable as social behaviour. What is right to one may be wrong to another. We just see it one way because we are not Thai. If you believe that what Thais do is wrong then time will tell, things don't happen overnight, maybe 20 years from now things will change if that's what they want.

The guy who pulled his GF for pushing in is missing the point. Do you think she was happy for you to pull her up in front of people, she just did not know any different because she is Thai. We are so lucky to be Farangs with our superior ways.

I pulled my Philippine girlfriend up once for embarrassing me at the Westin Hotel reception cos she squatted on the floor while waiting for me to check-in. She cried as she did not know what she had done wrong, it was really me with the problem cos I did not equate her cultural traits and actions as natural for her. I was the one in the wrong not her.

Trust me I don't like people pushing in but it does not mean that it is wrong. We are visitors in this country, we do not have a right to dictate what is right or wrong even if we believe life would be better for the changes mentioned.

I stick by what I said but obviously it is not a point most wish to agree with, sorry.

It bothers me not in the least.

I'm adapting, overcoming and fitting in -- as all true longtime expats should strive to do.

I cut in front of people all the time now. Elbow them to the side and start jabbering away -- I'm in a hurry and my brand new car is running , double parked -- outside. I explain quickly that if I'm not served immediately, it will cause a great inconvenience to many customers. Then a throw a purple or a silver on the counter to get the regi girl's attention. Be assertive -- get served first, that's my motto.

It helps a lot if the people in front of me are all poor farmers, counting their satangs and wondering if they'll have enough change remaining for a single cigarette.

Every now and then some wiseass prat clerk will send me to the back of the line. On those occasions, I puff out my cheeks -- looking distressed -- and drop the items I'm trying to buy straight to the floor. I take greatest pleasure at responding to this attack on my pride when I'm dropping a steaming Cup of Noodles or anything in a glass jar. Then, with a quick tilt of my head and a wry smile, I say, "whoopsie," and waltz out of the store.

Yes, we must all strive to fit in. Every little bit counts.

You wanna see rude animals -- go to Laos and get in line at the border immigration windows.

Edited by Texpat

Not saying that all, I thought I was getting across the idea of being tolerant and understanding of other cultures. Cultures are traits that are readily acceptable as social behaviour. What is right to one may be wrong to another. We just see it one way because we are not Thai. If you believe that what Thais do is wrong then time will tell, things don't happen overnight, maybe 20 years from now things will change if that's what they want.

The guy who pulled his GF for pushing in is missing the point. Do you think she was happy for you to pull her up in front of people, she just did not know any different because she is Thai. We are so lucky to be Farangs with our superior ways.

I pulled my Philippine girlfriend up once for embarrassing me at the Westin Hotel reception cos she squatted on the floor while waiting for me to check-in. She cried as she did not know what she had done wrong, it was really me with the problem cos I did not equate her cultural traits and actions as natural for her. I was the one in the wrong not her.

Trust me I don't like people pushing in but it does not mean that it is wrong. We are visitors in this country, we do not have a right to dictate what is right or wrong even if we believe life would be better for the changes mentioned.

I stick by what I said but obviously it is not a point most wish to agree with, sorry.

I asked a few Thais today about the scenario at 7-11 with people pushing in and the response นิสัยไม่ดี ní-săi mâi dee which means bad behavior.

These were Isaan people, so maybe it means that Isaan Thais have better manners than others.

It's nothing to do with culture, It's just that some people are plain ignorant and others often do not like to complain.