Motorcycle Helmet

I'm gonna guess that taking it on as hand luggage would not be allowed.

So that leaves the check-in bag. Considering the battering they get, I don't really want to put it in my backpack.

Any suggestions?

I'm gonna guess that taking it on as hand luggage would not be allowed.

So that leaves the check-in bag. Considering the battering they get, I don't really want to put it in my backpack.

Any suggestions?

You certainly will not be able to take it in the cabin. So you will need to check it as baggage.

I suggest you put it in a cardboard box surrounded by bubble wrap. Tape the box well, should be no problem. If you use a light weight box (like a 12 bottle beer box) it won't make too much of a dent in your baggage allowance.

Why wouldn't it be allowed on as hand luggage?!? It's not exactly an offensive weapon!

Put it in a helmet bag and carry it on - they only weigh around 3kg (depending on model) so they can't stop you for weight.

I wouldn't want to wear a helmet that weighs 3 kg.

Why wouldn't it be allowed on as hand luggage?!? It's not exactly an offensive weapon!

Put it in a helmet bag and carry it on - they only weigh around 3kg (depending on model) so they can't stop you for weight.

I wouldn't want to wear a helmet that weighs 3 kg.

oops . . I spend far too long doing conversion between metric and imperial! I meant 3lbs (1.3kg)! :D

:)

Check in for the Helmet seem the only choice, but who knows best bet jump on your bike go to the Airline show them your Helmet, tell them what you would like to do, make note of date and time and abvoe all the name (mobile number(s) person(s) you speak to during your info visit. May seem like a bit of an overkill, but the way things work in the Airline business this could in fact save you from a big headache on flt day, in other words get the facts from the people that SHOULD know. :D:D:)

2 flights with the helmet (full face) as hand luggage and no comments and no problems whatsoever. I think I've become over-expectant of security hassles at airports as a result of regularly going through tight security airports like Manchester and Manila.

Bought a Shoei in NZ before I came here last year (cheaper there by far), carried it as hand luggage on 3 flights so far, along with a backpack and duty-free bag (really, too much to lug around, but such is life). The helmet was in the Shoei bag that came with it. No problems with airlines or security.

2 flights with the helmet (full face) as hand luggage and no comments and no problems whatsoever. I think I've become over-expectant of security hassles at airports as a result of regularly going through tight security airports like Manchester and Manila.

You are not paranoid. 3 months ago my brother brought me a helmet from the us- he was not allowed to bring it on (in?) the cabin. had to put it into checked bag. i believe it was eva, but again it was flying out of the us.

Sounds like it is about a 90% success rate of being allowed to bring them on as hand luggage.

That Vietnam photo is just weird.

Believe me wearing motor cycle helmet is common practice!!!! I worked there and everyone who owns a helmet never takes them off, supermarkets, coffee shops, walking down the street, shopping in the markets etc etc….so funny to see and hot. :) even decorate them somtimes with flowers and bows.

• 2 months later...