Stolen Motorbikes

threelegcowboy

Bikers

Well it finally happened again. 30 years ago I had one stolen and 2 days ago it happened here in Thailand.

Not wanting to go into all the details but I will advise as I think I see an increase in stolen bikes.

Last night one news program had two separate stories about bikes being stolen. Most cases seem to be with new bikes(red dealer plates), young thieves, and a sharp tool that is driven into the key slot. It can be done almost as easy as inserting a good key.

So even in the middle of the day in a busy area and left for just a few minutes can mean a lost bike. I have seen bikes being double locked up when I thought the owner was being too careful, not anymore.

If I HAD a new bike I would keep it locked up at all times using that cable lock though a wheel or a pad on the disc brake. They can still get it but the odds go down.

Best you can do, make the other bikes an easier target.

Highly visible locks (bright red or yellow) on the disc brake, or a high quality chain/padlock.

The only problem with the pad lock on the disc brake is that I dont use that lock method all the time and forget its locked. Then when your wheels start to turn the lock interfers with a cable or the disc pad housing. This can cause damage on some models. It might be someone moving your bike for parking issues. So pick your poison.

:)

Edited by threelegcowboy

on the new Yamaha Nouvo's the steering lock has a sliding plate over it to stop instruments being inserted .

That sliding plate over the key hole is a feature on alot of different models. I am sure it works to stop most attempts to steal. My problem is trying to move that plate myself and especially in the dark. I get so frustrated and dont like them. Pick your posion.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times.... The person who comes up with an GPS alarm system which rings the cell phone when the bike is moved will make a mint. As long as they keep the monthly charge at less than 200~300 baht and the system is hard to disconnect, that person would be rolling in cash.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times.... The person who comes up with an GPS alarm system which rings the cell phone when the bike is moved will make a mint. As long as they keep the monthly charge at less than 200~300 baht and the system is hard to disconnect, that person would be rolling in cash.

The system you are talking about exists for at least 15 years and it is free as the dialler is integrated in the alarm system although I must admit that I have never seen it in LOS.

Thats the best reply I never expected. I can see it now. Someone stealing my bike. Phone alerts me. Then i'm running to stop this crime and am confronted with a gang of young men with sharp tools. I see red.

21 Years ago in Canada i had an alarm on my car that set a pager off in my pocket if my car was disturbed,.alarms are cheap so id say fit one as a preventative even if it dosent have this feature, and park where its not dark/quiet

I have a disc lock and agree that on the odd occasion i forgot to remove it but at best the lock can only go a short turn before it lets me know.

Most parking positions require you to pull your bike out usually by shuffling your feet and it's then you realize you forgot to remove the lock.

Personally i've never had any damage.

That said keep your bike locked at all times as there are many bike thieves operating in Thailand.

A stolen bike can be broken down and beyond recognition in less than an hour.

Back in Blghty it was a case of park the bike.

1 Steering lock on

2 Disc lock on

3 U Lock through the front forks

4 Very heavy duty SS chain and 300 pounds, 15000 baht, worth of padlock through the back wheel and fixed to an immovable object if at all possible

5 Activate the category 1 alarm immobilizer

Even then I was never sure the thing was going to be there when I returned. :) I lost 2 after doing all the above. Here very rarely take out the key never mind locking it and am forever leaving stuff on the bike, as in 400 pounds worth of camera and lenses the other day. Must just be lucky though err indoors keeps telling me to lock it :D

The true figures of bikes stolen are not released by the police but suffice to say many dozens go every week.

The amazing thing is people do not insure against Theft - really !! Many customers think the CTPL covers everything - nothing further from the truth ...............

Even if 1st Class is too expensive then do look at 2nd Class which covers you for Theft as all the alarms and chains in Thailand will not stop someone lifting the whole bike up and putting it in the back of a pick-up.

The best assurance to avoid theft is to drive a ratty 15-year-old, smoke belching, non-plated rusting Suzuki Smash. Nobody will steal it.

A bunch of handgranates under the seat; as soon as the bike starts moving and will keep moving for approx. 5 minutes, the granates will go off. Ok, you'll loose the bike, but the thieves will loose more......

I guess pulling into the shopping center where they check under the seat only to find a mobil phone attached to a mass of wires and other contraptions might be a bit much for security. They shit thier pants when they found firecrackers and a lighter once upon a time.

An activated phone that calls for help seems like a winner though.

Exists.

No monthly fee either, apart from keeping the sim card in it alive.

GPS based.

Send an sms to it, and it replies with it's exact location.

You can also hook them up to a motion sensor so they will send the sms when the bike is moved.

You can get the devices on ebay, around 5000 Baht, but they are a pain to get in as it is both a GPS and a mobile phone in one. Customs like them :)

I've seen them locally (Bkk) for around 7,000 Baht.

Very small, easy to hide, they wouldn't know the device is in there, until you show up at their doorsteps with the cops!

No idea why nobody uses them, I know 7000 Baht is expensive compared to the bike, but I think a top of the line moped theft insurance is almost as expensive.

For the bigger bikes and cars, makes definitely sense to me!

Best way to remember the disc lock is one of those stretchy coloured phone cord style strap to the throttle with velcro round the throttle, you always see it round the throttle and it reminds you to remove the lock.

post-4090-1243357355_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1243357413_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1243357424_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thats the best reply I never expected. I can see it now. Someone stealing my bike. Phone alerts me. Then i'm running to stop this crime and am confronted with a gang of young men with sharp tools. I see red.

A few days ago a news story on TV showed my red license plate. Also a number of suspects in a large moto thieft ring in the Pattaya area. My bike was not recovered. Also shown on TV were some sharp tools used for breaking the ignition lock.

So its been 5 weeks since it was stolen. Gang busted one week ago. No motobike recovered. Insurance should pay B32K for a B41K bike. 4 month wait for payment = 3 more months. :D

post-11376-1246705604_thumb.jpg

Edited by threelegcowboy

There is one bad point on this alarm system,

thai peple like move other bikes around if they are wanting to make space, or when you are parked so close to athers then they will hit the bike a little so the alarm goes off again.

But talking about stolen bikes. i had my bike stolen once and on the security camera was a kid which was the neighbur from the appartment. Good to say to get my bike back, but it took nearly a week to get it.

the robbers have acctually put the bike in to pices.

1. got the motor back.

2. got me weels back.

3. came some more metalic parts.

and on and on.

you can see now when it is gone the you shall find it alll in parts,.

There is one bad point on this alarm system,

thai peple like move other bikes around if they are wanting to make space, or when you are parked so close to athers then they will hit the bike a little so the alarm goes off again.

a GPS signal could be sent to the cell phone, as described above. no audible alarm on the bike. if it rings the phone, you can just walk out and take a peek to make sure the bike is still there. excellent idea for sure.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear of your bad eperiences with stolen bikes. Here is our tale from last week. Its a very unpleasant experience to have something stolen and until it happens to you it cannot really be appreciated just how upsetting it is.

My wife's Honda Wave 125 had a lock and chain, a hidden switch under the seat and when parked she put her helmet in the box we had fitted on the back.

Sadly it did not stop two **** Thais on a bike riding up next to her in the early hours of the morning, telling her to stop her bike and when she ignored them they tore out her ignition key and then kicked her bike over with her still on it

My wife was 'lucky' she ran off unhurt, but they stole the bike and her personal belongings, mobile phone etc..., in the box on the back.

Trouble is, I reckon them getting the bike is better than her 'defending' the bike and them 'getting' her instead!!!

I have now bought her a new bike. I am in the process of fitting a switch under the seat that stops it starting when parked. Will buy an alarm disk lock and maybe fit an alarm.

She now carries her new mobile phone on her body on a belt in a pouch around her waste - so she can at least call the police promptly if this happens again.

This thread offers some useful tips, but really there is little we can do to prevent bike theft - maybe slow the thief down a bit or make it more awkward. The trouble is, it may be better the thief gets what they want - the alternative in situation like ours could be a lot worse than a bike being stolen. The new bike is insured. Its a Yamaha Nana -110 CC and the theft cover is 2500 baht for 2 years. If stolen in the first year the payment is 80 percent. In the second year its 60 percent.

I have also bought her a new pair of running shoes!

Sorry to hear of your bad eperiences with stolen bikes. Here is our tale from last week. Its a very unpleasant experience to have something stolen and until it happens to you it cannot really be appreciated just how upsetting it is.

My wife's Honda Wave 125 had a lock and chain, a hidden switch under the seat and when parked she put her helmet in the box we had fitted on the back.

Sadly it did not stop two **** Thais on a bike riding up next to her in the early hours of the morning, telling her to stop her bike and when she ignored them they tore out her ignition key and then kicked her bike over with her still on it

My wife was 'lucky' she ran off unhurt, but they stole the bike and her personal belongings, mobile phone etc..., in the box on the back.

Trouble is, I reckon them getting the bike is better than her 'defending' the bike and them 'getting' her instead!!!

I have now bought her a new bike. I am in the process of fitting a switch under the seat that stops it starting when parked. Will buy an alarm disk lock and maybe fit an alarm.

She now carries her new mobile phone on her body on a belt in a pouch around her waste - so she can at least call the police promptly if this happens again.

This thread offers some useful tips, but really there is little we can do to prevent bike theft - maybe slow the thief down a bit or make it more awkward. The trouble is, it may be better the thief gets what they want - the alternative in situation like ours could be a lot worse than a bike being stolen. The new bike is insured. Its a Yamaha Nana -110 CC and the theft cover is 2500 baht for 2 years. If stolen in the first year the payment is 80 percent. In the second year its 60 percent.

I have also bought her a new pair of running shoes!

A cautionary tale indeed. There's not a lot more you can do to protect your bike safely. Personally I always take the insurance for 2 years, risk it for one then trade the bike in for a new one and repeat the process. Keeps my potential losses to a minimum and if I do get unlucky I won't be tempted to risk injury by resisting too much.

The best assurance to avoid theft is to drive a ratty 15-year-old, smoke belching, non-plated rusting Suzuki Smash. Nobody will steal it.

not true. years ago here there was a lovely guy called jimmy mac, had a bar on soi 6, sadly died of cancer, anyway he claimed to have the tattiest, scruffiest excuse for a bike anyone had ever seen, and it was , also thought it was theft proof. got up one morning bike had gone, bloody binmen took it, thought it was scrap, true story