When In Thaland, Do Not Show Your Emotions!

simonphuket

When in disagreement, or arguments, one should not show his/her emotion. However, we silly Farang often fail in this, much to the dismay of the Thai.

When watching the high-quality Thai tv-programs (of course, my wife watches and sends me to my laptop to read TV.com), I do on the other hand see nothing but guns, fights, and lots, lots of anger. Way more than on telly back home. No control of emotion what so ever.... Quite the opposite.

Tv is just tv of course(, but it does set examples for the younger viewers). So what is true about this statement? Can we not show our emotions and just accept all the crap and abuse? Or do Thai show their anger? Is it a regional thing?

depends on who it is with ime. My husbands family shout at each other, get angry, slam doors etc, like normal families do. They wouldn't though, dream of acting that way with anyone outside the immediate family, just as it would not be done outside my UK immediate family either.

It seems like the Thais are always raising there voices when just chatting. :) One thing I had been told is not to raise your voice especially when being angry. One example, I was having a wall built by a local Thai guy,the wall was all over the place in one area so naturally I wasn't happy about it.I made my point without shouting my head off.Later on the wife told me that it was the best thing to do.It was almost like they respected my actions.

Don't let them walk over you, but make sure you get your point across.

I usually make some light fun of the situation.

When in disagreement, or arguments, one should not show his/her emotion. However, we silly Farang often fail in this, much to the dismay of the Thai.

When watching the high-quality Thai tv-programs (of course, my wife watches and sends me to my laptop to read TV.com), I do on the other hand see nothing but guns, fights, and lots, lots of anger. Way more than on telly back home. No control of emotion what so ever.... Quite the opposite.

Tv is just tv of course(, but it does set examples for the younger viewers). So what is true about this statement? Can we not show our emotions and just accept all the crap and abuse? Or do Thai show their anger? Is it a regional thing?

Thai woman can hold their own with anyone for silent treatment (not good viewing for tv).

Showing some sort of emotion is okay but its better to tone down the farang angry excitable emotion that is so always bubbling underneath when something that is not logical is foisted upon you.

I find smiling and agreeing in most situation seems to work and then afterwards do whatever you were going to do anyway. Works for me.

Thai woman are great when they get angry - those brown eyes following you like the Mona Lisa and then letting rip is exhilarating the silent treatment does my fruit in.

:)

Not exactly true. Yes, in Thailand you should not shout or show anger at others, but this has more to do with making them "lose face"...either by you shouting at them (Thais, I'm assuming) or causing them to be involved in a scene, which also causes them to 'lose face". Either way they will feel abused by you forcing them to lose face. You can however, quietly and firmly, assert your rights in the matter. Yelling or talking loudly is just considered disrespectful to Thais...and they won't like it.

You have to understand too. when to make your point and leave. Even if you "win' a physical encounter with a Thai, you will always be the Farang...and always "wrong". But you can always explain why you think you are right...and then leave it at that.

I watch my Thai girlfriend and her children. All the children are in their 20's or even 30, but she is still their mother, and always will be. She still tells them know when she thinks they are "wrong" and why. They may not agree, and may let mom know they don't agree...but they still know who 'mom' is.

:D

word of advise....

WAI first before getting into heated arguments with strangers........

you know even kick boxers do it before punching each other to oblivion....

:) surely tongue in cheek longthaimer?

I cringe when i see farangs/tourists wai- ing people especially how can i say it so it sounds okay.

The people in manual labour jobs such as security guards/taxi drivers/waitress etc...

oh so cringe worthy.

ps.

Cannot remember the last time i gave a wai to someone - normally i bow my head to show my respect.

I showed emotion when I heard about Newcastle being relegated, I could not stop laughing.

Is this wrong?

A good F*CKING KICKING to the head for Moonrakers YOU JUMPED UP BUCKET OF SH*TE. JUST YOU WAIT.....

Die Mackems :D

Oops? Is that too much emotion and too loud? :)

We'll be back and you'll be down again :D

Agree, why get all worked up and into a shouting match when half the time they do not even understand if you speak slowly and quietly.

Khun IMA_FARANG got the point that also many Thais should follow. People are more crazy nowaday and you don't want to involve in stupid problem like fighting over traffic manner etc.

Concerning TV soap, I think it's a way of compensation. We are not supposed to do it in real life but the raw nature call for it somehow. The problem is tha some people immitate them. For me, I have stop watching the soap for 20 years.

Edited by oldsparrow

well showing emotion is clearly allowed in bar girl land.

You see something resembling the soaps every couple of minutes. Sometimes it's the cheated farang. Sometimes

its the cheated bar girl.

In real thai society i'm not sure what the rules are. Like what has been said. Act in a way appropriate to your home

country. It's probably best. I would advise arguing behind closed doors where possible.

Funny though beacuse my thai landlord and landlady have been arguing most nights and can be heard up to the 4th floor... :)

In this village, nearly every day some family or other have a slanging match and the whole village can hear it.

Thais often raise there voices, often alcohol is involved, but generally they do stay more in control than most farangs.

I had a problem with UBC/True and trying to get it resolved, no matter how I tried to rephrase it calmly and politely, just met with the same response. Frustration got the better of me and my voice started getting louder and louder. I went outside for a cigarette before I lost my temper and by the time I walked back in, they had telephoned head office and surprise, surprise, problem solved.

Sometimes raising your voice gets results.

So, does this "no shouting" rule only apply to farangs, or is it supposed to apply to Thais as well?

If the latter, then why was the harridan behind the hotel counter screaming at me when all I was doing was leaving to catch a bus? I mean, all she was after was to get me to wait (and miss my bus) until she'd sent someone up to my room to make certain I hadn't stolen the sheets and towels, although why anyone would want the tattered, threadbare rags is beyond me.

One dear sweet thing I used to know smashed several glasses on the floor in a rage as she cussed and cursed at me in Thai. On the patio outside the house too.

Cost her a mobile phone one day when I told her I was giving my son money to help with the imminent birth of my first grandchild. I told her, ' Family comes first, as you always tell me.' She was so incensed she threw the phone at me and I ducked.

Not show emotions? That's a laugh.

He shows his emotion by slapping the bar and they show thiers by slapping him.

I suppose he should be grateful that guns and knives weren't produced.

the chicken shit kid sucker punched the guy while his attention was on the guy in front of him. Then the chicken shit guy with the cap kicked him in the face while he was down and another chicken shit person kicked him in the throat while he was down. kind of harsh just for raising his voice and slapping the bar. As many thais as there were it would have not been too much problem for them to grab him and drag him outside or call the police.

The guns bit works both ways sometimes. In my home town a guy that got the shit knocked out of him by a bouncer and thrown outside came back in a few minutes later with a gun a blew the bouncer away. He got 10 years for doing it but the bouncer got death. Most people in our town knew the bouncers reputation and knew it was only a matter of time before someone did it.