International Driving License

Hi,

I have a Int'l drivers license and have been here 6 months with it. I few people have said you cant drive on it after 3 months being in Thailand and will ned to get a proper Thai drivers license.

Is this true? My current int'l license expires next Jan

Hi,

I have a Int'l drivers license and have been here 6 months with it. I few people have said you cant drive on it after 3 months being in Thailand and will ned to get a proper Thai drivers license.

Is this true? My current int'l license expires next Jan

Technically yes....in practice, if the BiB stop you they will just want tea money and will not be interestedif you are staying here long term go and get a Thai D/L, its not a big deal to get one..

You can only use an IDP for 3 months max on any trip to Thailand - I think this applies in any country. In Thailand once you leave the country and come back (maybe even same day) the 3 months starts again. If your IDP is invalid because you are staying over 3 months you may get trouble with renting cars or vehicle insurance. This is Thailand however so anything is possible.

I don’t think the license bureau cares about the IDP, they want to see a valid drivers license to avoid having to take the test.

If you have a valid drivers license in English, you do not have to have a IDP to rent a car, at least at Budget you don't. Anyway, since IDP’s do not translate into Thai what good are they in Thailand?

TH

The few times that I have been stopped at a checkpoint, they have only ever asked to see my driving licence. I've never been asked to show my passport. I don't know if that is normal or not. If they don't study your passport, they won't know how long you have stayed in Thailand.

Maybe I've been lucky, but not had a problem showing an IDP.

And that one could simply "convert" a IDL into a Thai-License!?

You cant convert a IDL to a Thai license, as an IDL is actually not a drivers license, its only a "legalised" translation of a valid D/L from a particular country, an IDL/IDP needs to be supported by a valid D/L and cant be used on its own...

I don’t think the license bureau cares about the IDP, they want to see a valid drivers license to avoid having to take the test.

Depends where you are, Farang friendly areas like BKK and Pataya are good to go with just an EU / US / Oz licence. Up our way (Pathum Thani) it's letter of the law:- No IDP = Do the test :)

You cant convert a IDL to a Thai license, as an IDL is actually not a drivers license, its only a "legalised" translation of a valid D/L from a particular country, an IDL/IDP needs to be supported by a valid D/L and cant be used on its own...

You sure! got my Thai license two years ago in Phuket and all I was asked for was my UK IDL :)

Depends where you are, Farang friendly areas like BKK and Pataya are good to go with just an EU / US / Oz licence. Up our way (Pathum Thani) it's letter of the law:- No IDP = Do the test :)

Wrong. A foreign license is not good anywhere in Thailand. An IDP is only good with a tourist Visa, but since police usually does not ask for Passports you would not have a problem.

Barry

Pretty much all above is correct as in thailand it really doesn't matter even if you drive without any licence.

However your insurance company or thai court might be interested in case there is accident or something else happens on the road that involves them.

I would assume all insurance policies are not valid if you do not have legal licence to drive in Thailand and that is local DL in case you are here on anything else than a simple tourist short time holiday. Maybe thaivisa insurance guys could clarify this one ?

Wrong. A foreign license is not good anywhere in Thailand. An IDP is only good with a tourist Visa, but since police usually does not ask for Passports you would not have a problem.

Barry

Barry. You may wish to read what we wrote!! Nothing to do with the police or validity of UK or other licences. All about doing the Thai driving test.

And yes, you are correct, foreign licences are not valid to drive in Thailand without an IDP (visa status is of no concern).

You sure! got my Thai license two years ago in Phuket and all I was asked for was my UK IDL :)

Yes I am sure, But to have a valid UK IDL (guessing here AA ??) you need a valid UK license..Yes, and in the Thai license department you showed/gave copies of both a valid UK license and the IDL, prior to being issued with a Thai DL ??...you may have been lucky. I have have a Thai DL for many years and had to show them a valid DL from my home country + the IDL

If you have an AA IDL, go and read the small print on the license and it tells exactly the thing I commented on.

As Far as I know an IDL is valid for 1 year and the countrys you can use it for are listed on the driving license, at least on mine, there are how ever insurance companies who only except an IDL not older than 3 month, maybe just another rule so they dont have to pay in case of an accident. Some police however abuse this to get money of the farang.

If you are NOT an American you can get an IDL off the internet is a few days as well. I gave up with the UK AA version of the IDL which only lasts a year and needs applying for by regular post still! ( - at least that was case two yrs back before I dumped them) . Now I just do it all via the Internet with email, ccards and scanned copies of UK DL and pp photos and can get an IDL valid up to 10 years. (Its only valid for 3month trips into Thailand tho).

You can only use an IDP for 3 months max on any trip to Thailand - I think this applies in any country. In Thailand once you leave the country and come back (maybe even same day) the 3 months starts again. If your IDP is invalid because you are staying over 3 months you may get trouble with renting cars or vehicle insurance. This is Thailand however so anything is possible.

Agreed. This is what I have been told by my insurers. If you are on a multiple entry Non Imm visa and make 3 monthly visa runs you should be o.k. On the other hand, this is Thailand and they will always try to blame the falang in the event of an accident regardless of your attempts to comply with any laws.

If you are NOT an American you can get an IDL off the internet is a few days as well. I gave up with the UK AA version of the IDL which only lasts a year and needs applying for by regular post still! ( - at least that was case two yrs back before I dumped them) . Now I just do it all via the Internet with email, ccards and scanned copies of UK DL and pp photos and can get an IDL valid up to 10 years. (Its only valid for 3month trips into Thailand tho).

Hate to burst your bubble, but the IDL's you mention ie the 10 year variety are not technically legal, they are a bit of a scam. A legitimate IDL (IDP) is only valid for 12 months, is issued in your own country based on your valid drivers license from that country issued by AA, AAA etc , yes you can renew over the internet in some cases.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the IDL's you mention ie the 10 year variety are not technically legal, they are a bit of a scam. A legitimate IDL (IDP) is only valid for 12 months, is issued in your own country based on your valid drivers license from that country issued by AA, AAA etc , yes you can renew over the internet in some cases.

I'd like to reinforce that: Those "IDLs" are not "a bit of a scam", they are a complete scam and an expensive one, at that. These pieces of paper have no legal status or value whatsoever. Of course, many Thai policemen don't have the education or training to know this, and are probably just looking for tea money, anyway. However, if you get into some kind of serious situation, say an accident in which somebody is killed, you may very well be told by the insurance company that you are not covered because of not having a valid license.

Valid IDPs (International Driver Permit) may only be issued by certain government-approved agencies. For the US, you can go to this page to see who they are: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html In the UK, I think that only AA and RAC are authorised to issue IDPs.

Furthermore, you can only get your IPD from an approved agency in the country where your license was issued. Trying to get around this by using e.g. the company that advertises on ThaiVisa is just a way of getting rid of money with nothing of value in return.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Just to add to Priceless's post, Green Flag are also authorised to issue IDPs in the UK. They are usually quicker and I think a bit cheaper than the others, but will only send the IDP to the same address as the driving licence. Unless things have changed, I think the AA will send an IDP to an address in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if there is a nationwide crack down on checking licences, but I've been stopped 2ce in the last week.

Yesterday, I handed over my passport with Uk DL and was rummaging in the topbox to get out my IDP when the policeman handed back my passport and DL and said thankyou.

He was happy enough with my Uk licence, very strange as I have the old one, not one with a photo. He didn't even open the passport.

I don't know if there is a nationwide crack down on checking licences, but I've been stopped 2ce in the last week.

Yesterday, I handed over my passport with Uk DL and was rummaging in the topbox to get out my IDP when the policeman handed back my passport and DL and said thankyou.

He was happy enough with my Uk licence, very strange as I have the old one, not one with a photo. He didn't even open the passport.

You are a brave man Loong. You realize that if they decide to fine you. I mean not to ask tea money but to issue you proper ticket for whatever reason. Driving without a valid licence could be one. They propably take your passport together with your UK licence with them and you can get them back only after you have paid your fines and take the receipt to the station in question.

I would not recommend anyone to hand over their passports to them. Copy should do or then hold the passport in your own hands and just show it to them.