Questions About When You Marry In Thailand

I intend to get married In Thailand , And apply for A settlement Visa.I have done my Home work and put together my File , Its just the updated version from last year when My Thai parter came to The UK for a Holiday,So fingers crossed, The silly things are Like, is there some were to change before you get married , how long does it take, is there some one who will take Photographs or do you do them yourself. Simple things you tend to over look , any. Advice would be welcome. Thanks

For the legal procedure, see Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand.

Remember that a ceremonial wedding is not a legal marriage in Thailand so is not recognised as such by the UK. For the marriage to be legal in both Thailand and the UK you must register it at an Ampur.

Photographers? Same as the UK; book and pay for one and they will be there, don't and they wont!

For your other questions about the wedding itself, I suggest that your wife to be is best placed to answer.

1, You go to your embassy for a comfirmation to get marreid letter, or however your embassy calls it. Look at your embassy website for what you need to bring along for this.

2. Have this confirmation translated into Thai by an agency.

3. Go to the Thai ministry of foreign affairs, consular department, with the translation and original to have it legalised.

4. With the legalised document you go to an amphur and sign the marriage register (don't forget to bring the wife and her ID)

You are now married.

The process can often be done in 1 day and the waiting time at the Thai foreign office can be something like 4 hours. The translation should be something in the order of 300 to 500 baht, they can also arrange the legalisation parrt for you at the foreign ministry. The legaisation cost around 800 baht if you do it yourself.

The registration of the marriage at the amphur takes about 30 minutes and is free, except for soemthing like 20 baht for a copy you need to register the marriage in the UK. It is just signing some papers and no speaches etc. If you where mrreid before you will also need to bring your divorce papers.

Thanks for your prompt replays , its not the paperwork , I think i have every thing coved , TB ex rays Amphora and all that ,its just the actual wedding , As i have never been married nor my partner , She like me does not know ,

Fair enough, but surely someone in her family knows?

We didn't have a ceremoney, just the Ampur registration; but I imagine that the first thing would be to speak to the monks at the temple concerned to arrange a date. They will probably also be able to advise on procedure etc.

The legal marriage is very easy. Just be sure to pic an amphur which has experience with a foreigner getting marreid, so they know the drill.

As for the traditional wedding ceremony, htere are always local differences between the sevarla parts of Thailand. generaly it is early in the morning blessing by 9 monks. Later in the day the actual wedding takes places, and the groom is brought to the house of the bride. The family and friends poor water over the hands of the newly weds and the cuple is married. Often there is also sin sod (bridal treasue) paid, but nowadays more and mor for show and just returned after the wedding.

The ceremony is very imortant and considered the actual wedding by most Thais, although it is not a legal one. Talk with some older family members of the girl on how to arrange it.

There are generally 3 steps to the ceremonial part of the wedding.

First thing is going to the photographers studio and getting pictures taken in various poses. Sometimes this is done at some picturesque location, but more often in the studio with various backdrops.

Second step is the ceremony itself, usually attended by a family and close friends. Pictures are also taken here. This is a very low-key.

Third step is reception, usually at a hotel or hall that specializes in these sort of things. This is where you invite everyone you have ever known. Each guest gets their picture taken with you and wife at the door. Guests bring gifts or envelopes with money. A set dinner menu is served along with drinks. A small band is pretty standard. This part can get very involved and there are a number of things that go on, dictated by current fashion in wedding receptions.

Again, keep in mind this part is entirely optional and has nothing to do with the legal aspects of the marriage and can take place months after the signing at the amphur. There is no ceremony at all at the amphur and at best a few photographs outside afterwards is the most every done. You wear regular clothes to this.

TH

Thanks , I did not know if there was some were to change at the Amphur,We did not want to travel a long way in a taxi all dressed up As for photographer , now i can make arrangements. basically i want to get married at the Amphor , then put her Settlement Visa In strait away, Thanks for you Help.

If you are from the UK and wish to register your marriage there, you have to go to the Embassy and they will deposit your original marriage certificate from Thailand in the UK, not sure where, you should check out the Embassy's website for further info. I have not done that yet, and also have not done the ceremonial wedding yet.

Thanks for your prompt replays , its not the paperwork , I think i have every thing coved , TB ex rays Amphora and all that ,its just the actual wedding , As i have never been married nor my partner , She like me does not know ,

please ,please idont beleve that your future wife does not no what happens,(i take it is a village ceromony) if she really doesnt no,my honest advice to you she best find out and tell you,you dont want to be taken for a mug ie dowery.

:)

If you are from the UK and wish to register your marriage there, you have to go to the Embassy and they will deposit your original marriage certificate from Thailand in the UK, not sure where, you should check out the Embassy's website for further info. I have not done that yet, and also have not done the ceremonial wedding yet.

Not quite.

You have already registered your marriage in Thailand. Not only is there no need to register it again in the UK, you actually can't! You cannot register a marriage twice (unless you divorce each other first!).

For a fee, the embassy will send your marriage certificate to the General Register Office in the UK. This will be useful if at a later date you are in the UK, lose your certificate and want to get a copy.

Whether you feel this is worth the 1980 baht fee is up to you; most couples, including us, don't bother.

If you do want to do this, see Procedure for recording a marriage in the UK.

Edited by 7by7