Tailors Ruining Koh Samui?

i just visited your lovely island but i must say i was taken back by the incessant annoyingness of tailors on the island. walking around the shops each day i was bombarded by approx 50 tailers each time we went outside the hotel for a few hours. in fact so much so that it put a dampener on our holiday to the point we dont think we would return. surely these people can see that hounding tourists is not the way to get business.

Totally agree on this one, the first few times i am polite but in the end i just end up being ignorant

and quite a few times they will then mutter something in my direction as i walk away..... i just bite my tongue and keep walking

Most if not all of the tailors seem to be indian/pakistani origin...... are they likely to have lived in Thailand a long time or have they just foreingers who have come over to set up these buisnesses ???? always wanted to know

Certainly piss me off walking around Chaweng!! It does'nt seem to matter how many times a day that they see you they will still try and shake you by the hand and give you their usual bullshit blatter..along with the restaurant 'welcomers' and scratch card 'win everytime' motorcycle timeshare con artists. Leave me alone for fuc_k sake!!!! :)

OK....i'm calm.

i just visited your lovely island but i must say i was taken back by the incessant annoyingness of tailors on the island. walking around the shops each day i was bombarded by approx 50 tailers each time we went outside the hotel for a few hours. in fact so much so that it put a dampener on our holiday to the point we dont think we would return. surely these people can see that hounding tourists is not the way to get business.

Were you on a tailor made holiday by any chance? :)

On a serious note though you are absolutely right that pestering tourists is no way to get business. I have found that a smile and a quick "no thank you" usually does the trick but I appreciate that even this can be rather tiresom after repeated ear bashings from these characters.

yes i agrea tailors taxi's flower sellors. push the hard sale did annoy me before but now i can turn deaf ears to them. there again there are every where in Asia. just parr for the coarse. when your skin gets thicker just ignore them. i usually wind them up. byt speak absolute crap. by the time they realise that iam talking shit i am gone.

example.

" hello sir, suite sir" the man tries to shake my hand

i pull my hand back and say " sorry i don't do the horse "

they not unserstand i keep walking. works every time

Perhaps we should put the tailors and Taxis together - They could make you a Jacket , trousers , shirt etc in the time it takes to do a round trip ?

they already do that. i feel for that scam whe i first come to thailand, bangkok. they told me i could have a tuk tuk to take me to 3 temples for 40 baht. they forget to tell me that i would stop at 5 suite shops on the way lol

Are you all aware also that all the tailors simply take your measurements and then get the same Thai people to make the clothes up.

If you drive around some of the back streets you can see many small lock-ups and lean to's full of Thai's frantically sewing up clothes, so whatever the salesman tells you, you can be sure the clothes are coming from just around the corner somewhere.

My wife used to be friends with one of these workshop owners and when we had a visitor staying with us we used to take them there if they wanted anything, cutting out the middleman in the shop. You would be amazed just how cheap the stuff is made for.

HL :)

Are you all aware also that all the tailors simply take your measurements and then get the same Thai people to make the clothes up.

If you drive around some of the back streets you can see many small lock-ups and lean to's full of Thai's frantically sewing up clothes, so whatever the salesman tells you, you can be sure the clothes are coming from just around the corner somewhere.

My wife used to be friends with one of these workshop owners and when we had a visitor staying with us we used to take them there if they wanted anything, cutting out the middleman in the shop. You would be amazed just how cheap the stuff is made for.

Only the many smaller ones. The ones already established have their own staff.

i dont think the workers import the cloth and imo that is where the real cost is.

Totally agree on this one, the first few times i am polite but in the end i just end up being ignorant

and quite a few times they will then mutter something in my direction as i walk away..... i just bite my tongue and keep walking

Most if not all of the tailors seem to be indian/pakistani origin...... are they likely to have lived in Thailand a long time or have they just foreingers who have come over to set up these buisnesses ???? always wanted to know

add bangla desh and nepal....but then had a couple of times the pleasure to talk to these guys and pants, shirts asuitmade... no ploblem!

It's maybe the way one reacts....

i dont think the workers import the cloth and imo that is where the real cost is.

you are right. I mean, that many small tailors use the same workers to make the clothes, but established tailors have their own workers.

Usually the material is bought by the owner of the tailor shop.

Were you on a tailor made holiday by any chance? :)

On a serious note though you are absolutely right that pestering tourists is no way to get business. I have found that a smile and a quick "no thank you" usually does the trick but I appreciate that even this can be rather tiresom after repeated ear bashings from these characters.

Feedback I hear from a lot of visitors in Chaweng would confirm they really are a pain in the backside, although I am used to them now and know how to deal with them, I have often felt sorry for tourist families I see out walking in the evening. At some points the pavements in Chaweng are extreamly narrow and uneven with fairly high curbs. On a hot night I have seen many a mother and father walking with kids, in single file on dodgy pavements getting the same harrasment from every tailor / resteraunt pusher. You can see them getting increasingly annoyed and stressed by the second. Add to that the shrieks comimg from some of the Lady Bars and it seems to turn a relaxing, holiday evening stroll into a bit of a nightmare at times. Touting for business is part of life I guess and some people enjoy the buzz but I also worry the level of harrasment on Chawengs streets may put a lot tousists off going shopping, or even returning to Samui again?

Edited by smallprawn

Excuse me meant touts not louts .

yep, they are the worst of the lout!...even worse than the taxies and tailors IMO

Why, what is it that they do ??

Excuse me, i don't venture into Chaweng enough to know..

yep, they are the worst of the lout!...even worse than the taxies and tailors IMO

You'll often see the same guys and gals riding up and down Chaweng Beach Road during the daytime. They ride up to mostly couples, but not always. They will give the 'targeted' a pleasant 'hello' and 'how is your holiday?' and then plough into their little pre-scripted bullshit lines whilst passing you a dreaded scatchcard.

Now then, you'll either wake up to your senses immediately and tell them to do one sharpish or, like many that I see regularly, will entertain the thought that they are going to win something. And surprise surprise EVERYONE IS A WINNER!!! Every time I see some dumb arse tourist jumping for joy with the thought that they have won something I am just itching to tell them that it is all a con and you are being targeted for your hard earned cash. But then it's just better that i mind my own business!! If your gullible to fall for it then that's your problem. Shame though...come to Samui to be ripped off by a timshare tout..not a great reminder of your time spent in Samui. Come on folks, you never get something for nothing. That's the 'ABSOLUTE' truth ehh!!!!

You'll often see the same guys and gals riding up and down Chaweng Beach Road during the daytime. They ride up to mostly couples, but not always. They will give the 'targeted' a pleasant 'hello' and 'how is your holiday?' and then plough into their little pre-scripted bullshit lines whilst passing you a dreaded scatchcard.

Now then, you'll either wake up to your senses immediately and tell them to do one sharpish or, like many that I see regularly, will entertain the thought that they are going to win something. And surprise surprise EVERYONE IS A WINNER!!! Every time I see some dumb arse tourist jumping for joy with the thought that they have won something I am just itching to tell them that it is all a con and you are being targeted for your hard earned cash. But then it's just better that i mind my own business!! If your gullible to fall for it then that's your problem. Shame though...come to Samui to be ripped off by a timshare tout..not a great reminder of your time spent in Samui. Come on folks, you never get something for nothing. That's the 'ABSOLUTE' truth ehh!!!!

The time share louts, the 'tailors', the folk that fling snakes round your shoulders and a monkey on your lap and the infants that hurl flowers rond your neck. Also the chap that takes your picture with his dosile bird of prey and his genuine mate that tries to sell you watches while landing a big lizard on your shoulder. It can grind people down sometimes.

All just trying to plough thier trade but its the amount of them that I cant understand. I dont know the suit trade but how can there be so many tailors here? Am I being nieve but how do they get by? I know some tourists might plan to buy a cheap suit on holiday but surely not this many

If there was room enough to walk down the pavements in Chaweng then it would so much of an issue but it really can get a bit too much for families just trying to make their way to a resteraunt for an evening.

HL

very true, i know a few taliors and the shops that make the suits, and the tailors are on an average 80 % mark up!

Oh right, so basically then, they're not " Louts " at all, they're just people selling something in a way that a few of the people on this Forum disagree with then yeah, much like the Tailors ??

In my opinion, there's no such thing as a free Lunch..

Be it Tenerife or Koh Samui, whilst there are people out there that are greedy enough to think that they have got a Free Lunch ( figure of speech ) & jump up & down like you say thinking they've won something, then there will always be those that pray on that Idiot & it's up to them..

I'm sorry, i too have no sympathy at all for these people but with regards to the actual Time Share people, so long as they stay within the Law & so long as Human Beings are still greedy, well we won't be seeing them go anywhere any time soon, that's for sure..

Edit : Apologies, i just looke dup the word " Lout " in the Dictionary & you're right, the are Louts... :)

" an awkward, stupid person; clumsy, ill-mannered boor; oaf. "

Edited by MSingh