250- 2 Strokes Are There Any Left?

Its so hard to find 250 2 strokers around these days.....

Has anybody seen any? Know of anyone who owns one or is seLLing one??

I would really like to get one before there extinction! A NSR250 would be great as i still have spare parts lying around somewhere :D

Please dont tell me there are plenty of 150s so why bother with a 250, Cause you probably have never ridden one and relise the greater difference! :)

Thanks andy

Know what you are talking about, had the Yamaha RD350! Both the old air cooled model (very dangerous power curve, extremely spiking torque when you hit the powerband!) and the later liquid cooled one...

Massive power out of relative small engines.

Wow! o.k o.k monty I have never heard of a RD350.....

what the! they make 350CC 2 strokes? powerband must have been crazy!!!

Always goota love the 2 strokes...And always gotta be happy we got to expreince them, wont be must left at all in a few years :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_RD350

Yep, the powerband on the old ones was horrible. This was before the days of the reed valvles, just the piston port controlled inlet cycle.

If you read down the article a bit, it states

uncontrollable 1st gear wheelies in the hands of careless riders were not an uncommon problem

I guarantee you, it wasn't easy. Simply no power under 4000 RPM, you even flood the engine with too much throttle under that rpm, and then, whack, everything is there at once... Do that in first gear and you have a wheelie even when virtually sitting on the handle bars :)

Here is another very good description of the RD350's powerband:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...01075918AAfcXCD

Now if you wanted a big 2 stroke then it had to be the Suzuki GT 750.

Wonderful water cooled 2 stroke triple that handled almost as badly as the Kwaker 2 stroke triples.

I recall that it had a horrendous fuel consumption when used in anger, about half that of my mates Z1.

Spent most of my early wages just running the thing.

The Suzuki GT 750 " Kettle " or " waterbottle " was a great ride. I had one for just over a year. Very thirsty and had a tendency to boil up hence the kettle nick name. A lovely wheelie machine and revved like a sewing machine. A very ass kicking power band as well. The Kawasaki KH 500 and 750's were awesome. Nick named the widow maker as the were super quick in a straight line but didn't like going round corners. Eventually found a nice Z1 and got rid of the 2 banger. I could sit and look at the Z1 all day. :)

My first "big" naja, was a GT 250. Really nice, but so offen breakdown, horrible. When every was fixed 100%, about 170 km/h was possible.

Today only european Enduro manufacters build 200, 250 and 300cc 2stroke bikes and for a Super Moto that is also great. KTM, GasGas and Husqvarna have it and it works 100% without trouble. KTM EXC 300 = BIG BIG WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some of the old school 2 strokes I was brought up with The Suzuki GT 550 The GT 750 and the awesome widow maker the Kawasaki KH 750 I always wanted a Benelli 750 Sei The first production 6 cylinder bike in the world. Not a 2 banger but what a machine. At the time it was the most sexy bike there was but just a bit too pricey for the money I was earning

post-24982-1243425725_thumb.jpg

post-24982-1243425743_thumb.jpg

post-24982-1243425767_thumb.jpg

post-24982-1243426016_thumb.jpg

There was even a 500cc 2-stroke from Suzuki, the power of this machine was/is unbelievable. The Suzuki RGV500 was capable of pumping 190hp @ 12,500rpm, and it with the weight of only 125kg.

Ahh the gamma..

dam_n they were an insane machine..

Yamaha 1983 water cooled, 500 in Canada, like the Suzuki Gamma 500.

Would that be the RD500YPVS? RZ on your side of the pond I think.

Had a friend who raced a tuned version of one of these in a production race series in the UK. He said the throttle was like an on-off switch. Did about 200 miles between rebuilds.

Here are some of the old school 2 strokes I was brought up with The Suzuki GT 550 The GT 750 and the awesome widow maker the Kawasaki KH 750 I always wanted a Benelli 750 Sei The first production 6 cylinder bike in the world. Not a 2 banger but what a machine. At the time it was the most sexy bike there was but just a bit too pricey for the money I was earning

Wow, didn't even know of the existence of 750 2 strokes for the moto market. Scary. Loved my shiny new Ktm 495 many moons ago, sold it because it was a just a bit much power running around NA west coast forests with (always pictured hitting a tree at 70 mph). Still think of the 2 years with that bike and the biggest grins it gave me. EDIT - I had a new 540, and my Dad had an older 495 air cooled beast that was just so cool in many was. More character-less beast.

A NSR250 would be worth the effort here.

Edited by Fishenough

That GT 750 is lovely isn't it!?

Ha, I lusted after the Benelli too but maybe that's because I was an innocent teenager seduced by those 6 pipes.

Did I read somewhere that they copied the Honda CB500 motor, cut one in half and joined them both together to make the straight six?

Can`t find any decent bikes.....

How hard is it to rebulid a engine?

First thing is to find someone competent do to it :D

I got lucky up here in Buriram and found a Kawasaki mechanic who not only does motorcycle work, but has been riding kawasaki bikes for 20+ years (motorX)

A full engine strip down by him was 400 bht. I paid for the parts that needed replacing and he put it all together again.

I have been dealing with him for a number of months and always asked what he was doing to any new bike I saw in the shop. 50% of the time he was re - repairing a bike that had been rebuilt somewhere else in town :)

Wow, I cant imagine a 2 stroke of that size. Even 250 or 350. A Honda NSR 150 would even do alright against my VFR 400. I think a 250 2stroke would blow my vfr out of the water yea? Having that loyamaha350rd would be awesome, because noone would see it coming. Roll up to a cbr1000 and take it on. LoL