Saving Programs To Disc That I Have Installed

Jockstar

Just wondering. As i will be looking to get a new PC in the next month. How or can i save programs to disc for instalation to the new Pc. Is this possible?

Lets say i want to keep.....

Mozzilla Firefox

Power DVD

Acrobat reader

Microsoft word

Adaware

Realplayer and quicktime.etc

Do i have to download these again or can i just burn the files to disc and install to my new PC? Sorry if this seems a stupid question but as i ahve said in other threads. I'm no PC wizard. Cheers.

I have a folder, well it is actually a whole disc partition where I save all

programmes that I down load from the net, or buy from the shops.

I call it Tools and it is subdivided according to topic, Browers, Photo viewers etc.

If I need to reload my system the sw it is all there in one place on the hard disc.

No downloading needed or hunting to cd's.

Much of my life is spent on the road with a notebook and a copy of all the

software, burned on to a disc, it used to be a cd, but now is a dvd

goes with me. Including a Windows installation disc.

I can rebuild my entire system when ever I need!!

The day to day data is quite small and can be backed up on a Thumb Drive.

With this at hand a rebuild on a new machine is only a few hours work.

The archive needs to be updated from time to time and old versions discarded

and a new backup made.

I keep the old cd's as they also form a historical archive, if I accidentally

delete an old programme and discover that I need it.

I recommend the procedure to any serious computer user.

Hard disk space is not that expensive these days, nor are writeable cd's and dvd's.

The short answer is that you are probably going to have to download and re install most software as the great registry system is not friendly to change. Some programs do work by themselves that is very few these days. astral is right that you should keep a CD of the full setup programs you want just for a case like this. Unfortunately that is extra work so most of us don't. :o

The short answer is that you are probably going to have to download and re install most software as the great registry system is not friendly to change.  Some programs do work by themselves that is very few these days.  astral is right that you should keep a CD of the full setup programs you want just for a case like this.  Unfortunately that is extra work so most of us don't. :o

Lop - the even shorter answer is to Bit Torrent all that you need as you need. Delete willy nilly if you like... :D

But if i burn all thes programs to disc. I might be able to install them on a brand new PC? The ones from the net i know i can download again. But lets say for Power DVD which was on the PC when i bought it. I'd have to buy a copy of it and then istall from the new disc.. So i probably just cant burn these files to disc and expect to be able to load them to the new pC?

You'll defo need the original installers. To protect piracy, they've made it mind-blowingly difficult to simply copy the application directories across - even if you do a bit of brain surgery on the registry for the destination machine.

Believe PowerDVD has a bit of a licencing deal with the laptop/PC distributors, meaning it'll only come with the install disks that came with the PC. From my experience over 4 years ago, I could never find an "independent" installer.

Chances are, your new machine will come with something similar. Pantip or Fortune ahoy for the rest :o

You'll defo need the original installers. To protect piracy, they've made it mind-blowingly difficult to simply copy the application directories across - even if you do a bit of brain surgery on the registry for the destination machine.

Believe PowerDVD has a bit of a licencing deal with the laptop/PC distributors, meaning it'll only come with the install disks that came with the PC. From my experience over 4 years ago, I could never find an "independent" installer.

Chances are, your new machine will come with something similar. Pantip or Fortune ahoy for the rest :o

That what i thought. But what about Mozzilla Firefox?