Where To Buy S-video Cable To Connect Laptop To Tv

Thaiboxer1

Help!

I looked all over Tukcom plaza in Pattaya today for a cable to connect my laptop S-Video port to my TV. No luck...

I want to watch DVD's on my TV using the laptop as a DVD player. I have an Acer Travelmate 4001 w/an S-video output port.

Anywhere in Pattaya to buy?

Assuming your laptop has two rows of pins (3 on top, 4 in the middle, nothing in the bottom), then yes, the 4-pin S-video cable should work. (it will only pick up the signals on the pins on the left and right of each row, which is where the video signal is).

The other 3 pins differ depending on the manufacturer. i.e. the following shows that on Dell's, they contain a composite video signal (presumably for if your TV doesn't have S-Video).

http://www.laptopsolutions.plc.uk/dell%20u...ls/pinoutsb.htm

I would suggest checking the box your notebook came in, just in case there's a cable lying there, or a convertor of some description. Also the manual may state what they 3 middle pins are being used for. (sometimes they can have audio, which would actually be useful...)

.....Is this supposed to fit?  Should I try and force it in?

Would strongly advise against forcing anything.

There are two (2) variants of the S-VIDEO connector, the 4-pin and the 7-pin variant. The following photos show typical 4 pin and 7 pin S-video female connectors.

s-video_4pin.jpgs-video_7pin.jpg

Pinout:

Pin 1 = Luminance Ground

Pin 2 = Chrominance Ground

Pin 3 = Luminance Signal

Pin 4 = Chrominance Signal

Pin 5 = -

Pin 6 = Composite Video

Pin 7 = Ground

Check your TV set to see if it has a 4-pin or 7-pin S-Video connector.

As bkk_mike indicated, you'll probably need an adaptor or video cable with proper male connectors. I would think the service shop where you bought the laptop would have, or be able to order the adaptor or cable(s) you need.

-or-

You may want to contact Acer's BKK Service Center (as listed on their website) at:

Acer Care Service Center

924/2 Acer House

Rama III Road, Bangpongpang

Yannawa, Bangkok 10120

Telephone: 0-2685-4355

good luck :o

Be careful of forcing the connector in, it will damage the extra pins on your notebook.

Try looking for a good HiFi shop.

By the lights at Na Klua, on the beach road will be a place to start.

Otherwise there is a shop in TukCom in Sri Racha, second floor, back right corner.

Speaking of forcing, connecting to my UBC receiver's S-Video output required some pliers and force. :o But it did fit in the end.. Can record TV just fine now, it's great!

Then I enable my TV as an extra monitor, so I get to work on my main computer screen, then I move Media Player to the other screen (the TV) and I can play some recorded TV show for my wife to watch while I myself am reading Thaivisa! Perfect!!

On the topic of sourcing the cables, in case If anyone's reading this in Chiang Mai: Kitti Electronics on Chotana Road has absolutely any cable and connector known to mankind, and LOTS cheaper than at the computer malls or big TV stores. Like regular audio and video cables are virtually free (20 baht for 5 meters) and the 5 meter S-Video cable was something like 70 baht if I recall correctly. Also converter plugs, like standard tulip audo cable to a 'headphone' type connector for the computer is like 15 baht.

Cheers,

Chanchao

If you look around, along streets, you will see electronics components stores. They're easy to spot, they usually have rolls of wiring and speakers lined up in front. Those shops can make the cables for you for VERY cheap.

Sony shops can be very expensive. They sell a firewire cable for around a thousand baht... you can buy the same thing at Pantip for a couple hundred baht.

.....Is this supposed to fit?  Should I try and force it in?

Would strongly advise against forcing anything.

There are two (2) variants of the S-VIDEO connector, the 4-pin and the 7-pin variant. The following photos show typical 4 pin and 7 pin S-video female connectors.

s-video_4pin.jpgs-video_7pin.jpg

Pinout:

Pin 1 = Luminance Ground

Pin 2 = Chrominance Ground

Pin 3 = Luminance Signal

Pin 4 = Chrominance Signal

Assuming your notebook has the socket, and the cable has the pins on it, the 4 pin cable should be fine (and shouldn't need to be forced...) since pins 1,2,3,4 are the S-video signal.

All that you'll be doing is not putting pins into the other 3 holes in the socket...

Edited by bkk_mike

They have them in Tukcom in the accessory shops on 3rd floor. Look closer :o

Thanks guys...finally found the ###### cable on the 3rd floor of Tukcom.

For anyone looking in the future, it's on the 3rd floor on the other side of the accessory shop in the corner. The 7 pin S-video cable is hidden in the back of the store w/all the other cables. Only prob. is that it doesn't have a video in prong on the other end.

I had to pick up a video in prong cable on the other side at the accessory shop.

Now back to my movies! :D