Red Plates

Krub

Hi,

Sorry if it has been covered before, I'd like to have the current rules/experiences

I will be driving a new D Max Platinum while it still has red plates (it is not my own vehicle)

Can I drive it outside of its registration area (it is registered in Bangkok) Lets say to the airport which is in Samut Prakan or to Isaan ?

Can I drive it after dark anywhere ?

Any other restrictions ?

Thanks for your help

I’ve had three cars each from new with red plates until I’ve secured the white plate. I’ve never had any difficulties taking the car out of Bangkok and I have not been made aware of any geographical / regional limitations. Generally I don’t drive at night because there is a likelihood that I’ll be drinking.

It’s my understanding that a car with red plates should not be driven at night time, although I’m not sure what night time actually means. My guess is that after 10pm there are increased chances of getting pulled over by the jollies.

My understanding of the reason for this limitation on cars with red plates is that they are not yet fully registered and therefore a higher theft risk. This regulation is for our protection.

This explanation by a police colonel has been one of many varied and numerous reasons for this regulation, which in summary I have interpreted as being… no one really knows why, but the rule is you shouldn’t drive a car with red plates at night time.

(Edit - typo)

Edited by richard_smith237

Make sure the plate has the little embossed part, Isuzu in Pattaya gave me copy plates (no emboss) which worked fine until I was driving to BKK and was late for a meeting, it then cost me 1000 baht tea money to avoid driving and waiting hours in BKK to pay 250 baht at the police station.

Edited by myfriendyou

Not supposed to be driven between 1800 an 0600. But never had a problem, 7 new redplatecars in 6 years, minimum 3 months each.

There are redplates, and redplates with book. Normally have to deposit 2000 baht for the book plates, but they are the only legal ones.

I think our white plates arrived after 2 or 3 weeks. I’ve known Thais in our area to keep red plates for nearly a year until what they consider a lucky number white plate comes available.

We didn't have any problems driving between provinces day or night in Issan with the red plates. I think a lot depends on the police in the area you are driving through.

How long for the white plates to arrive?

Tha law states 90 days max on red plates, but again never had a problem within a year on redplates. But legally you are not the owner before book&whiteplates are issued, so if dealer belly up........... :)