Buying Land

geordie

My daughter is 18 months old, i am married to thai, i know she is too young to have land in her name. Can i buy the land for her and be the trustee.

I know that i can invest in other ways for her, just thought i would see if this is possible.

My daughter is 18 months old, i am married to thai,  i know she is too young to have land in her name. Can i buy the land for her and be the trustee.

I know that i can invest in other ways for her, just thought i would see if this is possible.

Not really 'up' on that stuff but here's a website that seems to have all the answers :o

My daughter is 18 months old, i am married to thai,  i know she is too young to have land in her name. Can i buy the land for her and be the trustee.

Geordie,

Put it in your wifes name, you know it makes sense. :o

If you put it in your daughters name there will always be the ' what if's ' going through your mind, if it is in the womans name you do not have to worry about what happens if you break up. Cos you KNOW what will happen.

Just make sure you keep your car in your name , at least you can throw your golf clubs and a few shirts in the back as you drive away from the land and house you paid for. :D

Edited by Doctor John

Geordie,

If you put it in your daughters name there will always be the ' what if's ' going through your mind, if it is in the womans name you do not have to worry about what happens if you break up. Cos you KNOW what will happen.

Just make sure you keep your car in your name , at least you can throw your golf clubs and a few shirts in the back as you drive away from the land and house you paid for. :D

Geordie please ignore Dr johns cynical comments. He doesn't feel good today

:D

This is a wonderful example of how Thai law, when it eventually changes, gives with one hand and takes away with the other.

My wife is Thai, and about 20 years ago we decided to buy some land up-country, the idea was to build a retirement bungalow there at some time in the future – still not built by the way, but that’s another story.

Anyway, at the time, as soon as a Thai woman married a Farang she lost the right to purchase Land in her "own", now farang, name - but there was no restriction on how old a person might be and yet have the legal right to own land.

Our daughter was 2 years old and, having been born in Thailand, was a Thai citizen, so the land was purchased in her name ……….. I still treasure the look on my daughters' face when we took her to see the land for the first time – she was about 5 years old – and told her to whom the land belonged.

Since then of course aspects of the law have changed – a Thai woman can now purchase land even if she is married to a Farang (provided the Farang signs a document to concede any possible claim to it) but there is a restriction on how old a person must be before land can be registered in their name.

Patrick

a Thai woman can now purchase land even if she is married to a Farang (provided the Farang signs a document to concede any possible claim to it)

This is new to me, I was intending to buy a house/land in my wifes name in the (vain) hope that the law would change sometime within my lifetime and we could transfer into our joint names.

It would appear that I must relenquish any future rights I might have to the land.

Can anyone confirm or deny this information.

Cheers

DC

Geordie,

Thanks for that Doc, always get a laugh on the forum :D

a Thai woman can now purchase land even if she is married to a Farang (provided the Farang signs a document to concede any possible claim to it)

This is new to me, I was intending to buy a house/land in my wifes name in the (vain) hope that the law would change sometime within my lifetime and we could transfer into our joint names.

It would appear that I must relenquish any future rights I might have to the land.

Cheers

DC

confirmed, we have just been through it ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers

DC

CONFIRMED

Cheers

DC

True enough! I signed my rights to our (her) 55 wah in Nonthaburi away a couple of months ago.

Since then of course aspects of the law have changed – a Thai woman can now purchase land even if she is married to a Farang (provided the Farang signs a document to concede any possible claim to it) but there is a restriction on how old a person must be before land can be registered in their name.

Patrick

As I understand it, it was Khun Anand Panyarachun, during his tenure as PM, who proposed and pushed for this, and other equally humane changes in Thai laws regarding farang men married to Thai women. He also made it much easier for the children of these marriages to become Thai citizens....

In my view, the only tried and true 'good-guy' PM this country has ever had... And he still works tirelessly behind the scenes trying to keep the checks and balances alive that he and others wrote into this constitution, the same checks and balances that Thaksin has single-handidly been changing throughout the last 4 years...

If you're interested, the actual piece of law confirming this is:

Notification of Ministry of Interior Re Application for Acquisition of Land by Thai National Who Has or Used to Have Alien Spouse and Juvenile Child of Alien Who Has Thai Nationality published in Ministerial Information Bulletin No. 9238 of October 4, 2001

If you would like an English language version of the Notification, PM me an email address and I'll arrange for a .pdf version to be sent to you.

SM :o