High Milage Truck ?

was looking at a Mitsu truck the other day, nice & clean and good price but 150 k on the clock,

asking for hassle going for a high milage ? TBH i don't really like driving 4 wheels around Pattaya and find it hard to justify splashing out up to 400 k for something else that i won't use too much.... just with the rainy season, makes 2 wheels a bit inconvenient sometimes..

cheers

Have you any reason to assume the mileage is genuine?

Having said that - most of the pick-ups you see in Thailand are good for a lot more than that.

Check for gearbox noise

Suspension - shockers bushes etc

Air con,

if 4WD check that is working OK and the LSD could do with checking.

If the interior looks really worn, the mileage is probably not genuine.

was looking at a Mitsu truck the other day, nice & clean and good price but 150 k on the clock,

asking for hassle going for a high milage ? TBH i don't really like driving 4 wheels around Pattaya and find it hard to justify splashing out up to 400 k for something else that i won't use too much.... just with the rainy season, makes 2 wheels a bit inconvenient sometimes..

IMHO not a good idea; you don't mention whether you are buying privately or from a 'tent', cash or finance?

If you are buying from a second-hand car dealer,

1) try to negotiate a warranty period of a few months;

2) pay cash - they will arrange a high interest loan for you otherwise.

3) arrange your own insurance - buy 1st class-online and lower the dealer's downpayment/price accordingly - they will arrange a shoddy insurance at the cheapest company otherwise.

Whether private or dealer;

Check the car's registration documents; they should match the VIN and you should make sure the 'owner' doesn't still have outstanding repayments to make If he/she does, it's not their car to sell. Don't get screwed in a 'transfer-of-ownership' thailand con.

Ask for a test-drive and, if possible, pay for the car to be professionally checked for 5k at a 'Testcar' centre; www.testcar.co.th - if the owner/dealer won't let you do this, walk away from the deal.

test car is a good idea but a truck priced at 150k is most likely too old for 1st class insurance - though you should be able to get 2nd class with bail bond - A MUST!

Remember that high milage on a diesel truck shouldn't really be a problem their built as work horses, and it doesn't sound like your going to work the truck too hard - just get it checked out before you part with your cash

150,000KM's HIGH MILEAGE. Jeeeeez who are you kidding that's just about run in. I know a few guys that have trucks with 250thou plus and one guy with 450thou admittedly he did recently have to have the top end rebuilt.

150 thou is not really a high mileage as long as the vehicle looks like its been serviced regularly. My 2004 Ford Ranger now has 132,000 when i got it at xmas it was 117,000. It will still be good for another 200thou.

Diesel engines commonly go for 300,000 kilometers with no problems. Many trucks bought from tent sellers will show 70,000 to 80,000 kilometers on the odometer. The odometers have been rolled back and those trucks could easily have 150,000 actual kilometers or more on them. It is likely that this truck shows the actual kilometers driven. I wouldn't be afraid of it if it sounds good and shows no blue smoke from the exhaust.

Old Diesel Engines where nearly not to destroy, but the new ones with common rail injection and complicated turbos may not last as long. The working pressure is much higher and material is more stressed, more parts can fail and they cost more to replace.