Question For Brits Re Nhs Entitlement

waveydavey

Hi, I'm a British citizen, I've been living in Thailand for the past 3 years but I'll shortly be returning to the UK, probably for several years.

I have a query about the entitlement to free NHS care. I've read in one place that I will not be eligible for free NHS care for 6 months after returning and somewhere else that if I can show I'm returning on a permanant basis I'll be entitled to free care from day 1. Can anybody confirm what the situation really is?

My situation is that I take daily medication for diabeties. Previously when I lived in the UK I obtained the medication via free prescriptions from my GP. Since I came to Thailand I've been paying for it from pharmacies. Will I be able to obtain it via a GP as soon as I return home or should I buy six months worth in Thailand and take it back with me?

I've tried searching this forum and the NHS website but not found answers to my specific case so if anyone has advice it would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but I've been paying voluntary NI contributions all the time I've been in Thailand.

Thanks in advance

If you have been paying NI. That in itself should make you elligible.

The NHS is funded from National Insurance.

Visa's not sure about all types but fiancee & Settlement give access to the Health Service.

That is why they are the high price, It's like you are paying for Health Insurance

Your contributions should make it OK for you If you are over 60 or on any Bennefits you will get Free presciptions.

Hi, I'm a British citizen, I've been living in Thailand for the past 3 years but I'll shortly be returning to the UK, probably for several years.

I have a query about the entitlement to free NHS care. I've read in one place that I will not be eligible for free NHS care for 6 months after returning and somewhere else that if I can show I'm returning on a permanant basis I'll be entitled to free care from day 1. Can anybody confirm what the situation really is?

My situation is that I take daily medication for diabeties. Previously when I lived in the UK I obtained the medication via free prescriptions from my GP. Since I came to Thailand I've been paying for it from pharmacies. Will I be able to obtain it via a GP as soon as I return home or should I buy six months worth in Thailand and take it back with me?

I've tried searching this forum and the NHS website but not found answers to my specific case so if anyone has advice it would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but I've been paying voluntary NI contributions all the time I've been in Thailand.

Thanks in advance

If you take your medicines on a daily basis, and the prices are not to steep, why not take enough with you to tide you over when going back.

When I go back to NL for some time, I don't gamble, take for 3 month's medicines with me (1920 baht).

Same med's in Holland cost me about € 340 (B 16320)

Who can receive all NHS treatment free of charge

Some people from abroad can receive all NHS hospital treatment free of charge. If you are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment, your spouse, civil partner and dependent child(ren) will also be able to receive free treatment, but only if they live with you permanently in the UK.

Have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse

Taken from the link in the previous post.

I would do as hansnl suggests and bring enough meds back for 6 months. I think in the end it will come down to the particular practice/health trust that you return to and try and sign up with. When my wife came to settle in the UK last year with our daughter, my daughter was allowed to sign up as an NHS patient in my local surgery, as she was a child, but my wife had to sign up as a private patient. After 6 months, we had to take my wifes passport with her immigration stamp and proof of address to prove she had been settled in the UK for 6 months.

Hi I checked on the NHS web site before I came out here last year. The way i read it was, you would be able to recieve emergency medical treatment, as of day1. After that you need to prove that you intend staying in the UK? So I would say, you have no worries? That's how I see it.

jb1

Thanks in advance

as i think was in another thread, there is a problem, a british government (not sure which one) decided, one assumes as a cost saving measure, to qualify medical treatment to those who live in the UK. if you do not live there (i think 3 months pa is the qualifier but not sure), then you do not technically qualify for free nhs treatment or care except in the case of an emergency. therfore unless you go hypo in the gp's you may be refused.

the NI payment is interesting but until it is tested in law i doubt you would receive the treatment. i am pretty much the same as you but in my case i have checked if i have enough ni contributions for a full state pension (worth checking you may be suprised) so i dont pay ni but i do pay tax in the uk every month on my private pension. like you i am a diabetic but fortunatly i have a rather ok gp. i attend my blood tests and check ups every 6 months and get my drugs on prescription from him 3 monthly (1 using my in laws and the other in person). as someone pointed out to me (cant remember who) wouldnt know..... as stated elsewhere.

i still think all expats need to staet thinking of defending any errosion of right our homelands try to remove from us but i am ofter a lone voice on this.

best of luck