Thai/lao Friendship Bridge

bungalowbill

Anyone know the current hours (opening annd closing times) of the bridge going into Laos in Nong Khai?

You might get a better response in the Thailand Travel forum.

Yes, BungalowBill, you will definitely get a better response in the Travel forum.

Anyone know the current hours (opening annd closing times) of the bridge going into Laos in Nong Khai?

Nevermind... I just crossed at about 7PM, wasn't sure if I would be too late. It actually stays open untill 10pm.

It actually stays open untill 10pm.

Two weeks ago, I saw a sign (on the Lao side, near the lane reserved to private cars) saying that the border stays open until 10pm (22:00) but, since I crossed the border with my car, I wasn't sure if this closing time also applies to pedestrians.

Edited by MonsieurHulot

MH - any tips for getting the car across?? I'm heading there next week - have old paperwork from last time which i didn't use 'cause i crossed on a Sunday.

Any good wine deals at the bridge??

For getting a car across, you must own the car (or take the owner with you).

You must have an International Transport Permit (it takes 1/2 hour and THB 55 to get one at any Kon Song - sp?- in Thailand. It's valid for a year. Don't deal with the people at the border, they want THB 1350 to get one on your behalf at Nongkhai Kon Song), the car book (Tabian Rot) and your passport.

Of course, you will have to pay a few fees at the border. I don't remember how much but it's not expensive.

Once you're done with the Lao customs, park your car and go to the AGL office (Assurances Générales du Laos), on the right hand side. It costs about THB 350 to insure the car for a week. If you are not insured, you may have to pay a hefty fine (or a bribe).

On the road to Vientiane, DO NOT drive over 50 km/h. That's the speed limit and they love to extort money from Thai and Farang drivers.

Lao drivers don't drive fast and they do stop at the red light. A welcome change from Thailand!!!

I believe that the best wine deals are to found at La Cave à Vins (World Wine Asia Co ltd) on Samsenthai Rd.

Bon voyage.

Edited by MonsieurHulot