Airport Rail Link Further Delayed

The first trial run of the new airport rail link has been postponed another three-and-a-half months, transport deputy permanent secretary Thawalrat Ornsira told the cabinet on Wednesday. The trial was scheduled for Aug 12, which is Mother's Day. However, the contractors had advised they would not be able to complete the work by that date. So the first run had been rescheduled for Dec 5, or Father's Day, His Majesty the King's birthday.

Under the contractual agreement, building of the 28km route from downtown Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi must be completed by November. It was now expected that the Airport link, which connects Phaya Thai and Makkasan areas to the international airport, would enter service in March next year, Mr Thawalrat said.

The State Railway of Thailand has said the fare will be 150 baht for passengers taking non-stop trains, and between 15 and 45 baht for trains that stop at every station.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...k-to-open-dec-5

Darn what a shame I know most like me were looking for a bit of a break from the Traffic and the TOUTS at the Taxis stand. Oh well hope the delay will be short live and maybe with a little luck things will be complete on time. :):D:D

I hope they get it done as I think that tons of people will ride this. I want to try it.

Christ, what kind of a country is this? Why wasn't the airport rail link built when the airport was, as with Hong Kong or Changi or any other comparable airport? Ridiculous... it should be priority number one

I hope they get it done as I think that tons of people will ride this. I want to try it.

Christ, what kind of a country is this? Why wasn't the airport rail link built when the airport was, as with Hong Kong or Changi or any other comparable airport? Ridiculous... it should be priority number one

Changi only recently had a rail link.

While I agree with your sentiment, and think that the mass transit should have all been built to operate as one, in reality it is quite common to NOT work that way in many cities. The reasons are varied and complex. Some are justified, some are BS. Right of way issues, taxi cab and bus unions, etc.

Look at Los Angeles California. The city went out of their way to terminate the brand new rail system NOT at the airport. Sure, they provide shuttles from manhattan beach to the airport, but hardly the most efficient way to handle things.

I think this is fantstic if BKK actually gets this to go. I took the public bus in December of 08 to the airport. Cheap, 35 baht or something I think? and it worked out OK. But it was getting hot waiting on the street for the bus. Would have been better to have a BTS linkuup of course.

Lots of cab drivers gonna lose theyr job

Yes. You understand my post above about other cities having similar issues. In a country where there is an abundance of labor, they can have a powerful voice. So many US cities are like that.

Just make the fare say 1500 bt for all the millions of happy expected rich toorists and that should keep the Taxis happy...and insist that you gotta you an ATM card.as well to buy it ..(+150)

Thais will probably go for 50bt unless they are in the Government then will probably be .....free....

makes Thai sense methinks... :)

"Look at Los Angeles California. The city went out of their way to terminate the brand new rail system NOT at the airport."

The San Francisco Bay BART system took almost 30 years to extend to SFO. BART extensions to the Oakland and San Jose airports will stop well short of the airports, and require shuttle buses.

If it takes another 4 months to get it right, that's OK with me.

They said the same about the BTS and MRT. They will only move to the station areas...unless you think you can walk from Makasaan to Silom.

yeah. In December I took a taxi from my hotel to the Moc Chit bus station. On my return, I was a bit surprised at how far the bus station is from the Mo Chit BTS. Unless I missed something, I don't see how any one could easily walk from one to the other with any luggage.

And be sure, I will not miss them. :)

It would be nice if the "official" taxis touted inside the airport - 1200 baht to the city - were the first ones to lose their jobs, but I guess they might be the last ones to go....

And be sure, I will not miss them. :)

It would be nice if the "official" taxis touted inside the airport - 1200 baht to the city - were the first ones to lose their jobs, but I guess they might be the last ones to go....

Hehe. You know, a few trips back I was approached by one of the touts. I decided to see what he had to say. Of course his price was ridiculous. I told him that I know I can go outside and get taxi for 1200 or so, and told him this was not my first trip. He got quiet and then realized I was not a first timer and he agreed to it. He needed the business and took the fare. The taxi ride was fine. That was the only time I took a taxi and did not use the taxi stand. Just the adventurer in me.

"I told him that I know I can go outside and get taxi for 1200 or so, and told him this was not my first trip. He got quiet and then realized I was not a first timer and he agreed to it."

Do I have this right? You bargained a tout down to 1200 or so for a ride to the city?

You bargained him down, he said 'ok',

and then he took you for a ride?

"I told him that I know I can go outside and get taxi for 1200 or so, and told him this was not my first trip. He got quiet and then realized I was not a first timer and he agreed to it."

Do I have this right? You bargained a tout down to 1200 or so for a ride to the city?

You bargained him down, he said 'ok',

and then he took you for a ride?

Went to Pattaya, not Bangkok. But, I understand the joke you intended.

For B150 per pax per way, it will be cheaper to take a taxi. At least the taxi will take you door to door.

For me if I take the airport link, it will be airport to Makkasan, the BTS from Payathai to Phrom Pong then tuk tuk/cab to my soi. definitely will be more then my current B200 taxi bill from airport to home.

The San Francisco Bay BART system took almost 30 years to extend to SFO. BART extensions to the Oakland and San Jose airports will stop well short of the airports, and require shuttle buses.

hhgz - I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I was surprised that they finally did and always wondered what took so long.

What gets me is with all the 'have to be opened on the Royals birthday' business, why not just open it ASAP once all the appropriate procedures are finished.

It's for the people, so why not just give it to them so they can start using it... But it won't change I know...

Anybody else think the concrete stucture which carries the Bangkok BTS system is a total monstrosity? It blocks sunlight out of the streets & keeps exhaust fumes captured.

Other overhead train systems in other parts of the world are much less intrusive. Sydney for instance.

Sydney only has a very small length of elevated track at Circular Quay that I can think of unless you include the monorail which isn't really part of the public transport system.

I think the BTS was a mixed blessing for anyone living along it's route. On one hand they finally had an easy and affordable way to get around. On the other they suddenly lost any view they had and rents went up.

edit: I was just reading about the monorail and it is being touted by it's owners as public transport, but the trains only carry 48 people and the track is 3.6 km long.

Edited by tw25rw

Looks impressive but just goes round in a loop between Darling Harbour and some shopping centres.. And it's capacity is tiny. It's the sort of thing you'd normally get at a big theme park. Shame they didn't do something useful with it.

Edited by tw25rw