Where In Chiang Mai Is Best To Go For Young Farang

dennis13

here is another young expat living in CM.

lets see... I would start with the Nimmanhaemin area. Try Warm-up, Monkey Club... Berlin is great for early evening. Then when time is getting closer to 3am its time to move to Spicy.... is V-Club still open till early hours?

I think there are plenty of things to do... if you speak Thai go to check out CMU and make friends with the Thai students they will take you out for some places we don't know =)

V club? sure open early hours isn't that kinda kareoke type hostess place for Thai's pay girl to sit with you ..maybe something more. was in there year ago but seemed expensive money better spent elsewhere.. not sure where though at 3-4 in morning.

Go to Citylife Chiang Mai Facebook page (am I allowed to say that?) and we have a link to a new group called, I think, Chiang Mai is Burning, which going to start organising monthly parties with House music for 18-30s...Or PM me for next party info. Also tons of different scenes. Check out Amy at Cafe del Sol off Ratwitthi, she has tons of friends in that age group.

Go to Citylife Chiang Mai Facebook page (am I allowed to say that?) and we have a link to a new group called, I think, Chiang Mai is Burning, which going to start organising monthly parties with House music for 18-30s...Or PM me for next party info. Also tons of different scenes. Check out Amy at Cafe del Sol off Ratwitthi, she has tons of friends in that age group.

an excellent little bar which serves fantastic mojitos.

Looking for a bass player to make our duo a trio; if you can sing or play any other instrument, even better.

You don't have to be technically accomplished, this is mainly for fun. Currently we're a duo with just one guitarist and one drummer... we both sing.

Some influences:

The Posies, Neil Young, The Pixies, Suede, Mr. Bungle, White Stripes, Curtis Mayfield, PJ Harvey, The Violent Femmes, Tracy Chapman, Grateful Dead, David Bowie, Arcade Fire, Danzig, Chris Cornell, The Clash, The Smiths, Iggy Pop, Nick Drake, Faith No More, Annie Lennox, The Cure, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Joy Division, Stone Roses.

So far we only do cover songs, but we're up for playing original material as well. Interested? Shoot me a PM...

Looking for a bass player to make our duo a trio; if you can sing or play any other instrument, even better.

You don't have to be technically accomplished, this is mainly for fun. Currently we're a duo with just one guitarist and one drummer... we both sing.

Some influences:

The Posies, Neil Young, The Pixies, Suede, Mr. Bungle, White Stripes, Curtis Mayfield, PJ Harvey, The Violent Femmes, Tracy Chapman, Grateful Dead, David Bowie, Arcade Fire, Danzig, Chris Cornell, The Clash, The Smiths, Iggy Pop, Nick Drake, Faith No More, Annie Lennox, The Cure, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Joy Division, Stone Roses.

So far we only do cover songs, but we're up for playing original material as well. Interested? Shoot me a PM...

that's a pretty nice list but tracy chapman and annie lennox don't half stick out like sore thumbs.

Edited by StevieH

Let's not forget that many of us old-timers were fairly young when we settled here. I was in my early 30s. One thing that I always liked about Chiang Mai was there was very little age related bigotry.

There were not many farangs and so many were complete nuts back then that you were happy to talk with anyone that was somewhat sane and it did not matter if they were young or old. Young guys hung out with old guys and vice versa.

This talk of separate places for fun is a step backwards as far as I am

concerned. :)

fun is fun for a young man so any nite u have 2000 baht to spend .....being 28 years old you will be a king at foxy lady go go bar with the oh so sweet young girls there fighting over you....... go early for a "date" about 8:30 to 9:30 ... the prettier ones get "asked out" on a "dates" early...this is more fun that getting warmed up at Warm Up or trying to figure out the local collage girls if you are only up here "short time" as you indicated your time is precious .

have fun!!!

What does he need the 2000 Baht for???

when a guy goes out on the town it would seem 60 bucks pocket money would be prudent amount .

gator, I don't think young farang in their early 20's need to flash too much cash to pick up some fine young ladies in Chiang Mai. I think the young girls are happy to date young guys and that they get sick of all the old farts that hit on them. I have seen quite a few young guys coming out of the Airport Plaza cinema at night, arm in arm with some beautiful young Thai girls. The guys don't look to me to be able to drop 2000 Baht on a night out. I could be wrong...

I also don't think guys in their early 20's buy girls from Foxy Lady.

gator, I don't think young farang in their early 20's need to flash too much cash to pick up some fine young ladies in Chiang Mai. I think the young girls are happy to date young guys and that they get sick of all the old farts that hit on them. I have seen quite a few young guys coming out of the Airport Plaza cinema at night, arm in arm with some beautiful young Thai girls. The guys don't look to me to be able to drop 2000 Baht on a night out. I could be wrong...

I also don't think guys in their early 20's buy girls from Foxy Lady.

whoo neelie.....

i never wonder about gender in these TV post but with your innocent visions of sugar cane sweet young men Waltzing though the malls arm in arm with their prim and proper darling sweethearts hanging on their arms both boy and girl penniless but happy ... .. kinda gives your gender away.!!!

Please forgive me for having to mention this but your are wrong, wrong and wrong on your points above... but lets stop right there ! lets not go any further for all of life should be as this nice dream. yes it should ... I will leave you with your very sweet misconceptions so you can keep your cinema innocents which is such a welcome change from the realities of how things really are in te world.

Cnly if you ask me, will I elaborate any further opening Pandoras box for you to see all.... i am so sorry things sometimes are not as they seem. your thinking this and that is some what off kelter ... but all the same very sweet indeed! But i hope you chose to keep your dreamy, sugar plum tales of fairies dancing on the tip of a needle innocent thinking ...keep this dream alive in your heart it is most likely better for you i think.

Edited by gatorhead333

One of my favorite stories is running into two of Chiang Mai's finest about Midnight on Thapae Road. They were holding hands with two genuinely handsome young fellows who had paid their bar fines, but as soon as they saw me they started yelling out in Thai, "Can we go with you? These guys are boring. They can't speak Thai." Everything isn't about age and looks. :)

One of my favorite stories is running into two of Chiang Mai's finest about Midnight on Thapae Road. They were holding hands with two genuinely handsome young fellows who had paid their bar fines, but as soon as they saw me they started yelling out in Thai, "Can we go with you? These guys are boring. They can't speak Thai." Everything isn't about age and looks. :)

well being young and handsome can not be a bad thing ....

but girls will be girls .

but please lets keep it sweet and simple ,the way it was back in the day when 1,000,000 fairies danced on the tip of a needle....

those where the days......

Edited by gatorhead333

Of course it depends on what type of girls you want to play with...

Most of my single farang friends in CM are in their mid to late 20s and I don't think any have parted with money to be with a girl, but then they don't hang around Loi Kroh and have learnt to speak some thai. The ones with serious girlfriends mostly met them through university or work and have made an effort to meet a wide range of thai people by learning the language and culture. In my experience the expression 'people are people' holds true, so if you believe 'girls will be girls' then I recommend you try to broaden your social horizons.

Also the V-club mentioned above might be referring to Wit (vit?) club in Chiang Mai Land, which is open late but non-smokers be warned, the last time I went there (which was admittedly a while ago) they allowed smoking inside which ended up being continuously recycled by the air conditioning.

Some influences:

that's a pretty nice list but tracy chapman and annie lennox don't half stick out like sore thumbs.

Yeah perhaps, but Annie Lennox has one of the best white soul voices I've ever heard and great stage presence, Tracy Chapman is an accomplished songwriter. I know there's no street cred to be gained by saying you like them, but we listen to and play music we like, even when it sticks out like a sore thumb.... :)

Some influences:

Yeah perhaps, but Annie Lennox has one of the best white soul voices I've ever heard and great stage presence, Tracy Chapman is an accomplished songwriter. I know there's no street cred to be gained by saying you like them, but we listen to and play music we like, even when it sticks out like a sore thumb.... :D

fair play to you man. it's a brave person who used the words 'annie', 'lennox' and 'soul' together. :)

an excellent little bar which serves fantastic mojitos.

Yes and Amy is great, look for Cafe Del Sol and Lucky Foo's on Facebook, both Amy's are really cool and can point you in the right direction!