Thailand Expects To Import New Tata Cars From India Soon

sriracha john

The roads are already over-crowded and too many cars are appearing on the roads each year for the infrastructure to cope.

On a motor related note, Daimler are closing their Thai factory that builds the Mitsubishi engines. First of many I would imagine.

Yes, it seems it won't be long until we are all driving Toyotas or Nanos.....they may be the only to manufacturers left at the end of this. I prefer bikes anyway. :)

There is a program showing motor accidents on Ch7 now.

Some of the accidents involving bikes might have you thinking twice about riding one here. It certainly makes me think twice.

I expect 80% will be metallic silver with tinted windows.

Well, you wouldn't want to be seen in one would you?

In that they have at least one similarity with the Fortuner.

Only wigged out expats that think Camel Active is de rigueur think Fortuners are cool.

The roads are already over-crowded and too many cars are appearing on the roads each year for the infrastructure to cope.

On a motor related note, Daimler are closing their Thai factory that builds the Mitsubishi engines. First of many I would imagine.

Yes, it seems it won't be long until we are all driving Toyotas or Nanos.....they may be the only to manufacturers left at the end of this. I prefer bikes anyway. :)

There is a program showing motor accidents on Ch7 now.

Some of the accidents involving bikes might have you thinking twice about riding one here. It certainly makes me think twice.

Whilst I understand what you are saying, I have been a motorcyclist for a very long time, having ridden on these roads since I was a teenager. There's definately some aweful crashes that happen on these roads & its certainly no place for the inexperienced.

Won't turn me off riding. I will admit that this is one of the last places where I would want to be seriously injured in a motor vehicle crash, but then again, thats the name of the 'game' not to be in one of these. I'm not talking about the 'won't happen to me syndrome' either. :D

Edited by neverdie

I expect 80% will be metallic silver with tinted windows.

Well, you wouldn't want to be seen in one would you?

In that they have at least one similarity with the Fortuner.

Only wigged out expats that think Camel Active is de rigueur think Fortuners are cool.

You are the king of one liners, you crack me up! :)

As well traffic will flow much better for cars since they won't be able to clog up automobile traffic riding their motorcy's between cars to the front of the queue ...

Want to bet? They'll be driven on the bike lanes of Phuket just as sam-lors, salaengs, food stalls and Miras are now. It takes a skilful bit of driving to leave insufficient room on both the left and the right sides of a pick-up to stop these buggers.

Tata to introduce Nano in Thailand: Thai government agency

World acclaimed Tata Motor's small car Nano may drive into the Thai and other markets in the South East Asia, a Thai investment agency official said.

"They (Tata Motors) have plans to introduce Tata Nano in future (in Thailand) for the economic segment of the market and probably plan to expand by taking it to neighbouring countries in ASEAN," Thailand Board of Investment (BOI) Secretary- General Atchaka Brimble said here.

This is a strategic move by the company to use Thailand as manufacturing base to export its products to other countries, she added.

Thai Minister of Industry Chanchai Chairungruang visited Tata Motors' plant in Pune yesterday.

Abhichet Sitakalin, Sales Director, Tata Motors (Thailand) which is a joint venture of Tata Motors and Thonburi Group said, the Thai Industry Minister appreciated the Nano.

On being asked when would Nano hit Thai roads, he said, "It is too early to say anything."

"Tata Motors, the best known Indian car maker, will expand the market to ASEAN countries for the export base to the world," BOI, the investment agency of the Government of Thailand said in a statement.

Tata Motors had earlier announced introducing Nano, which was launched in India on March 23 this year, in Europe by 2011 and exploring possibilities to launch the car overseas too.

- Business Standard (India) / June 5, 2009

I thought I read somewhere that they don't have airconditioning.

If true, would seem rather stifling to me.

SoCal,

Tata Nano is being offered in three (3) models, the base has no aircon, the next two up the chain have aircon.

They are a funky little thing, I might buy one, seal up the doors and windows and turn it into a fish tank. :)

Tata Nano will be launched commercially next month and is priced between Bt80,000-150,000. If it could be produced in Thailand it could allow low-income earners in Thailand to buy it, said Mr. Charnchai.

Does this statement mean it will be launched commercially in India at 80 to 150k so the sticker price in Thailand will get it's usual gazillion percent increase.

Of course they could just remove the duties and it would be instantly affordable.

Tata Nano will be launched commercially next month and is priced between Bt80,000-150,000. If it could be produced in Thailand it could allow low-income earners in Thailand to buy it, said Mr. Charnchai.

Does this statement mean it will be launched commercially in India at 80 to 150k so the sticker price in Thailand will get it's usual gazillion percent increase.

Of course they could just remove the duties and it would be instantly affordable.

Tata originally anticipated launching the lowest cost option at US$2000, they haven't been able to achieve that, but is being launched in India at about $2250 I believe. That's a bit under 80K Baht.

If they do open a factory in Thailand, I would think that there wouldn't be so much tax as if imported, so hopefully that would be the price range in Thailand.

Thailand to import the Tata Nano from India

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-06-04

But won' t the extra cost of the Isaan Pothole Survival bolt-on kit drive the price up higher?

Ive seen the crash test, only the front and the side.

The front test was good, takes impact well, the sides arent that good like most cars but did ok.

I havent seen the back yet though.

Just because its cheap, doesnt mean its not safe (I know it does in most cases)

But it sounds like crap, goes like crap and those tiny wheels on them look funny. I wouldnt get one

Try to imagine it with 18 inch Lesno's.

Bet you want one now!