Skype Problem With Audio.

Richb2004v2

I have 9.04 on my Asus eee 901. Yesterday I installed Skype from the website. When I try to make a call it says 'problem with audio playback'. The Skype website did say 'Skype for Ubuntu 8.04', but I figured since there wasn't an option for 9.04 I would try it.

Any ideas?

Actually, the volume is very low since switching to 9.04 too

The best way to install Skype, and other software packages is to use packages which are created for the distribution you use. Now, we all know Skype doesn't have a release for 9.04, but medibuntu has.

You can easily download and upgrade the software by coping this into a terminal window (select it with you mouse, click right mouse button "copy", go to terminal and again click right mouse button and select "paste"

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list; sudo apt-get -q update; sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring; sudo apt-get -q update

Now you can run your favorite software update program and select Skype from the list, it is possible that it is already found for update.

• 1 month later...
The best way to install Skype, and other software packages is to use packages which are created for the distribution you use. Now, we all know Skype doesn't have a release for 9.04, but medibuntu has.

You can easily download and upgrade the software by coping this into a terminal window (select it with you mouse, click right mouse button "copy", go to terminal and again click right mouse button and select "paste"

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list; sudo apt-get -q update; sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring; sudo apt-get -q update

Now you can run your favorite software update program and select Skype from the list, it is possible that it is already found for update.

I finally got around to trying that. It seemed to take a lot of action in the terminal window, but afterwards my already installed Skype still has the same problem. I also tried update and nothing was there related to Skype.

As mentioned above in this thread, you need to set up your devices (mic / speakers etc) as this screen shot shows

Exactly, just choose one sound setting at a time and try to make a test call. It will promptly report if there is any problem either with output or input. Easy easy.

I never could get it to work properly on my Asus laptop. It does work on my Toshiba, albeit with sound only from one channel.

Mine is an asus notebook and the image above is from the very same.. A shame you never got it working as it does work.

I never could get it to work properly on my Asus laptop. It does work on my Toshiba, albeit with sound only from one channel.

Mine is an asus notebook and the image above is from the very same.. A shame you never got it working as it does work.

It used to work fine for me when I was using Xandros but with Ubuntu it has problems.