If I Buy A Used Motorcycle Should I Get The Key Box Changed?

I just purchased a used Honda cbr 150 in Chiang Mai.

Is it a common practice to get the key box replaced to protect against it being stolen?

Congrats on the new bike! The new key box is probably a good idea, although I didn't do it. No solution if they just hoist the bike into a pick-up and drive off. I've always wondered how bikes get stolen in Chiang Mai and whether they used keys to drive them or just hoist into a truck.

I just purchased a used Honda cbr 150 in Chiang Mai.

Is it a common practice to get the key box replaced to protect against it being stolen?

Congrats on the new bike! The new key box is probably a good idea, although I didn't do it. No solution if they just hoist the bike into a pick-up and drive off. I've always wondered how bikes get stolen in Chiang Mai and whether they used keys to drive them or just hoist into a truck.

From what I have heard, mostly pickups.

Three guys, one pickup, bike gone in ten seconds, hardly a sound.

Don't worry, be happy... And ride!

:)

In ANY CASE, if guys are really decided, a bike can be stolen! So, for sure, lock your bike when you leave it, and have a good time!..

Sinewave. 2600baht your were ripped mate. I've had two done now (and one was a modified cbr150 barrel onto a cbr250) and they cost me 700 and 900baht respectively. Not Honda badged parts but a high quality OEM product.

So yes Croc it does make sense to change it if that gives you peace of mind. also get a good disc lock (maybe with an alarm (you can get them on mocyc.com)

Allan

Don't worry, be happy... And ride!

:)

In ANY CASE, if guys are really decided, a bike can be stolen! So, for sure, lock your bike when you leave it, and have a good time!..

^ Agree 100%

If a professional thief or group of thieves want a vehicle they will get it. That's what insurance is for.

A good alarm certainly can't hurt. I find these Xena disc lock 110dB alarms are cheap and effective-

081129-0000344.jpg

I think I saw them for sale at Fastcorner in Chiang Mai. If not just send me a PM and I'll be happy to mail one up to you.

Happy Trails,

Tony

Sinewave. 2600baht your were ripped mate. I've had two done now (and one was a modified cbr150 barrel onto a cbr250) and they cost me 700 and 900baht respectively. Not Honda badged parts but a high quality OEM product.

So yes Croc it does make sense to change it if that gives you peace of mind. also get a good disc lock (maybe with an alarm (you can get them on mocyc.com)

Allan

that was original OEM honda parts with -key hole slide cover assembly- and additional key barrel for the rear seat lock assembly, didn't get it done, just checked on the price while i was getting my fuel filter changed...my jaws dropped when they told me 2600 baht, i told her i'd wait.

i use a padlock through the sprocket...cheap and effective, get solex not solo

Edited by sinewave

ok that explains it. mine where oem. ignition and seat lock also the older style no key cover. worked well and SO much cheaper than Honda. It was the same with the rear shock. Honda 1,600baht. YSS oem 700baht. The Honda was slightly better (zinc plated bits not chrome) But YSS actually make the Honda one too.