Cleaning Paintwork

Tyke

Hi,

Anyone know what works best for sponging down painted walls - the paint is that silk type - half-way beween gloss and matt so it is washable. There are residues of sticky tape I have used for hanging posters as well as loads of dust. I have tried warm water with Vim, Mr Muscle for bathrooms and kitchen cleaner and although they remove the dust, don't work very well for the sticky residues. Anyone got any advice? In the UK we use 'sugar soap' but I have not been able to find any in Thailand.

Hi,

Anyone know what works best for sponging down painted walls - the paint is that silk type - half-way beween gloss and matt so it is washable. There are residues of sticky tape I have used for hanging posters as well as loads of dust. I have tried warm water with Vim, Mr Muscle for bathrooms and kitchen cleaner and although they remove the dust, don't work very well for the sticky residues. Anyone got any advice? In the UK we use 'sugar soap' but I have not been able to find any in Thailand.

Try WD40 or sonax spray a little and rub in circle motion with your finger... dont have to use much elbow grease. Can even try peanut butter as it too is oil based.

Hi,

Try WD40 or sonax spray a little and rub in circle motion with your finger... dont have to use much elbow grease. Can even try peanut butter as it too is oil based.

Thanks - just tried it and it does work well for the sticky residues - but you now got any suggestions for large areas covered in dust?

Hi,

Thanks - just tried it and it does work well for the sticky residues - but you now got any suggestions for large areas covered in dust?

I just tend to repaint, average size room only takes a couple of hours.

Hi,

I just tend to repaint, average size room only takes a couple of hours.

thanks but that's not answering the question I posed. In any case, if you repaint then you should always clean the existing paint or the dirt just comes through the new layer eventually.

• 1 month later...

I use a car duster. Get a good one that is impregnated with oil, and before you use it the first time be sure to sit it overnight on a newspaper to wick off the excess oil. When it gets dusty just beat it against a wall outdoors. A good one lasts for years.

post-33251-1247133730.jpg