Registering A Honda Cb400, 55,000 Baht Correct?

bombis

I read through a coupe posts on thaivisa about registering a used motorbike, just didnt seem to find the answers i was looking for:

My situation is like this: I want to buy a used CB400 from a shop. There is lots available in Bangkok but 95% of the CB400s do not have a license plate at the shops, so are not registered.

So my question is this: Is it easy to register these bikes? I heard people say its difficult to get and this has to do that those bikes are not officially sold in Thailand..... Is this true (that its difficult to register a CB400)? And why?

Also, at this point I think the fee for registering an imported bike like the CB400 is 55,000 Baht. Is this number correct or are the cost for getting a proper license plate different? So I would have to calculate the selling price + 55,000 Baht?

Where would I go in Bangkok to register this bike? What do I need to bring (in the case that the bike is from a shop without a number plate).

I read through a coupe posts on thaivisa about registering a used motorbike, just didnt seem to find the answers i was looking for:

My situation is like this: I want to buy a used CB400 from a shop. There is lots available in Bangkok but 95% of the CB400s do not have a license plate at the shops, so are not registered.

So my question is this: Is it easy to register these bikes? I heard people say its difficult to get and this has to do that those bikes are not officially sold in Thailand..... Is this true (that its difficult to register a CB400)? And why?

Also, at this point I think the fee for registering an imported bike like the CB400 is 55,000 Baht. Is this number correct or are the cost for getting a proper license plate different? So I would have to calculate the selling price + 55,000 Baht?

Where would I go in Bangkok to register this bike? What do I need to bring (in the case that the bike is from a shop without a number plate).

Generally very expensive - I was looking for a used CB400 but it was more trouble than it was worth - generally speaking they were asking around 80k for a 1998 model and an additional 70k for the Green Book - around 150k baht was the average price when I asked around. Thought balls to it and bought a new one instead (250 not 400!) There are some nice Kawasaki ER650n's you can get for around 230k direct from the showroom - all above board and completely legal - well worth the price in my opinion.

Cheers

As with everthing in Thailand the fee is not an exact science.. I was quoted from 40k up to 70k for legal plates..

Of course if any of the paperwork doesnt meat ful expectations then all bets are off.. They can nearly always find some tiny detail ommited or stamped wrong, so its al about who handles it, what thier contact is like, how much grease is paid. Dont forge theres an emissions test also fr 30k ish baht that you have to pay even if you fail, so dnt pay the right guy and fail that twice and theres 6k gone up in (exhaust) smoke.

So maybe it can be 50, maybe it can be 70, maybe it all goes wrong and cannot be done.. If the import papers showing its component import parts are not in place its a lot of bribes.

Buy a plated bike.. Why spend that much on a old, battered, serviced by who CB400, when you can go get a brand new 650 for about 75k down and a small monthly.. Fully legal, fully warrantied, much better machine.. You would be mad to contemplate anything else. OK if you find a plated CB for 60 to 80 then maybe, but even so the ER6 changed the game.

Even the Ninja 250 is more machine than a cb400. AND only 100thou up to 149,000 depends on if new or 2nd hand.

Erm.. Dont really agree on that.. Lighter, probably weaker, definately less substantial.. Less power, etc etc etc.

Yes a 250 faired with a light rider will probably best the CB400 is speed, but not by much of a margin.. But comfort for the rider or pillion, ability to carry luggage, just general size etc.

I would take a top condition or late model CB400 over a ninja 250 every time. I do see your point tho.

LIVIN. Ok not beat it but. i have ridden a few xjr400' and cb400's and gotta say above 140-150 they run out of puff pretty quick(maybe they were jap learner restricted, dunno)

"But comfort for the rider or pillion, ability to carry luggage, just general size etc. "

I will agree with you a bit here, but again i thought the ninja was a reasonable size bike (pillion perch does suck though, but then so did my cbr250's).

"I would take a top condition or late model CB400 over a ninja 250 every time"

If i could be guaranteed the late model cb400 was kosher then probably so would i. but as you know that's dam_n difficult, especially for a newbie. so Ninja it would be (or er6) .

H20. are you saying late model cb400's are going for 50-60thou there with verifiable green books........uuummmm

Well, the situation is this. i would let the shop handle the registration thing. i said this is a necessity and they agreed.

55,000 Baht was the official price I got stated.

There were other 400cc machines in the same shop for about 60,000 - 70,00 baht....one had a number plate already... so that sounded like a pretty good deal.

even if the machine is old, i do get some warranty, half a year and for these machines repairs are cheap anyways.

I looked into the Ninja 250r and the ER6

Somehow I cant really get in to the Ninja 250. Im sure its a nice machine but sth I just dont like about this bike. The ER6 is a monster of a bike and the best deal in Thailand I agree. But 120,000-13,000 Baht is still quite a difference to 225,000 (plus interest so yu end up paying more close to 260,000 Baht within 2 years if you do financing). So thats quite a lot more....... but I agree, the ER6 is really nice.

It's not rocket science ! :D

Just buy one with a book ! :D

Simple. here on Samui you can pick up a decent one for around 50-60,000 baht all legal :)

Then you should ship them to Phuket.. Cos ropey old ones get 60 and decent gets 80.. And thats for the old non VTEC type ones..

hel_l unbooked ones would get 40 ish..

Well, the situation is this. i would let the shop handle the registration thing. i said this is a necessity and they agreed.

There were other 400cc machines in the same shop for about 60,000 - 70,00 baht....one had a number plate already... so that sounded like a pretty good deal.

even if the machine is old, i do get some warranty, half a year and for these machines repairs are cheap anyways.

Somehow I cant really get in to the Ninja 250. Im sure its a nice machine but sth I just dont like about this bike. The ER6 is a monster of a bike and the best deal in Thailand I agree. But 120,000-13,000 Baht is still quite a difference to 225,000 (plus interest so yu end up paying more close to 260,000 Baht within 2 years if you do financing). So thats quite a lot more....... but I agree, the ER6 is really nice.

Well you obviously know your own mind.. But I would say you have to look at total cost of ownership..

1) any CB400 you pay 130 for will be worth 80 on resale.. People wont pay becuase you did the book.

2) The parts for a CB will be LOTS more than the ER6

3) the warranty

If you buy a ER6 ride a year or so your going to sell it on for what 150 plus, after a few years of trouble free riding ?? Loss of 70k.. The CB, higher maintenance, higher part cost, harder to sell, and just generally old and worse, less power etc.. And thats going to lose you 50k in resale plus maintaining it. So the difference in costs is like 20k or so to have a shiny new higher power, good handling bike.

Just how I see it.

Well you obviously know your own mind.. But I would say you have to look at total cost of ownership..

1) any CB400 you pay 130 for will be worth 80 on resale.. People wont pay becuase you did the book.

3) the warranty

If you buy a ER6 ride a year or so your going to sell it on for what 150 plus, after a few years of trouble free riding ?? Loss of 70k.. The CB, higher maintenance, higher part cost, harder to sell, and just generally old and worse, less power etc.. And thats going to lose you 50k in resale plus maintaining it. So the difference in costs is like 20k or so to have a shiny new higher power, good handling bike.

Just how I see it.

dam_n you bring some good arguments. the thing is that i actually really like the er6...... and i was considering it before...then thought the cb400 could be a good deal.

i really have to go and sit on a ER6. ... i think they let yu ride them on the car park at the kawaks dealer....maybe that will convince me.

3) the warranty

Just how I see it.

dam_n you bring some good arguments. the thing is that i actually really like the er6...... and i was considering it before...then thought the cb400 could be a good deal.

i really have to go and sit on a ER6. ... i think they let yu ride them on the car park at the kawaks dealer....maybe that will convince me.

They offered me a test drive on production of a licence - not sure if that means around the car park or out and about