Bygone Pattaya

media

Does anyone else have any interesting OLD photos of pattaya or info of how pattaya evolved like when streets where built and where the first bars and restaurants and hotels sprang up? Im surprised that after several years there are still only the same few old pics of pattaya on this forum. We need to get together and rustle up some more, even 10/20 yr old pics are interesting, doesnt have to be that far back. I personally am fascinated about pattaya history when I see old pics, I would be interested to know more info of how our great city evolved from nothing to this.

When I first came to Pattaya 9yrs ago 3rd road north pattaya was mainly feilds.

Lets get together and Rustle up some more OLD pics..?

Does anyone else have any interesting OLD photos of pattaya or info of how pattaya evolved like when streets where built and where the first bars and restaurants and hotels sprang up? Im surprised that after several years there are still only the same few old pics of pattaya on this forum. We need to get together and rustle up some more, even 10/20 yr old pics are interesting, doesnt have to be that far back. I personally am fascinated about pattaya history when I see old pics, I would be interested to know more info of how our great city evolved from nothing to this.

I'm afraid that I have nothing to contribute; but I think you've got a great idea! I hope folks will jump in and post. I also hope that they'll do their best to provide clear explanations of what "now" the "before" pictures are showing us. :)

I'm afraid that I have nothing to contribute; but I think you've got a great idea! I hope folks will jump in and post. I also hope that they'll do their best to provide clear explanations of what "now" the "before" pictures are showing us. :)

Good idea and I promise not to say anything negative.........I would also like to see pictures of old Jomtien. I remember Jomtien in 1986.....almost nothing there, but I don't have any pictures to post.

There are some good pictures of Pattaya in the old days and i mean long time ago in Sailor restaurant in soi 8.

As i recall some are from as early as the 1950s.

Have a cheap meal there and check them out.

If anyone became a "Pattaya Historian" I would even be willing to donate or purchase books/CD/DVD/Magazines.

I think it could be very interesting reading about the history of our little SinCity and watching some pics too.

Edited by DonTron

Some interesting pics here. I know that some have already been posted on thai visa before sorry for repeating them, im just trying to get as many as poss on here.

I spoke to a lady who has been in walking st for 30yrs. she told me some interesting facts. she also recons that the pic of the tree in the road was never walking st. she says its naklua. but this its still not 100% if it was walking or naklua. several ex service men have quoted it as definitely being the beginning of walking st. and say that the tree was indeed exactly as shown at the beginning of walking and was cut down. my only doubt is that if you compare that pic, with the one shown below dated 1979 (only 10yrs more) you can see that the single story building on the left side at beginning of walking has changed into a 2 story. in such quiet times would they really have knocked that 1 story down and built a new 2 story? in that 10yr period? I just cant see Thai people demolishing a perfectly decent building. she knows some old people who were the first people in naklua. really old knowledgeable people who she said will surely have some info and maybe some pics. she said that she will ask them for me.

post-36578-1244814755_thumb.jpg

post-36578-1244814839_thumb.jpg

post-36578-1244815136_thumb.jpg

post-36578-1244815191_thumb.jpg

post-36578-1244815209_thumb.jpg

post-36578-1244815228_thumb.jpg

post-36578-1244815255_thumb.jpg