Phuket Photography Club

pagallim

I'm interested in photography, and have a reasonable range of equipment, but probably in truth only an average level of skill. I'd like to develop my skills further, but in my experience it's always better to bounce ideas and knowledge between a group of like minded people. Maybe a club already exists here in Phuket, and I'm just not aware of it. Thoughts anyone?

I could be interested in this too.. Just getting into it more seriously..

Out of phuket for a couple of months.. But Phuket is home.

also interested but since my camara was stolen I have to wait until i can afford the nikon D90 i want so that I can get serious.

OK, so there are at least a couple of people interested. I think to move it forward, maybe some suggestions about frequency of meeting (off the top of the head, I'm thinking about once a month?), and what venue (let's make it social also). Maybe the first occasion we could talk about some kind of charter of the club, i.e. principle and aims etc. Think it important that the cross section of population is as broad as possible, from absolute beginners to semi (or fully) professional. I can think of a few topics, such as exposure values, depth of field, composure etc. Should be all about taking photographs, not comparisons of equipment. Thoughts/suggestions?

also interested but since my camara was stolen I have to wait until i can afford the nikon D90 i want so that I can get serious.

Just looked at the spec, and it does look serious. Consider though the range of lenses that you want to go with it, and their pricing also.

Just looked at the spec, and it does look serious. Consider though the range of lenses that you want to go with it, and their pricing also.

A poster on the photography forum pointed out that he'd wished he'd realised it's more important to learn how to take photographs with any camera instead of shelling out for an expensive camera in the hope it will make you a better photographer. It doesn't. So get out your box Brownie and do what photography teaches you - LEARNING TO SEE.

A poster on the photography forum pointed out that he'd wished he'd realised it's more important to learn how to take photographs with any camera instead of shelling out for an expensive camera in the hope it will make you a better photographer. It doesn't. So get out your box Brownie and do what photography teaches you - LEARNING TO SEE.

Absolutely correct. All any camera does is expose light to either film or in the case of digital photography, a sensor. Learning the basics is more important than shelling out a lot of money in the hope that it will make you a better photographer. I think in many cases, people try and buy the best kit they can afford, but when you get into the realms of SLR or dSLR photography, many other aspects come into play rather than the point and shoot mode of compact cameras. That's where learning and sharing experience comes into play, and through learning, photography becomes a more enjoyable experience.

Absolutely correct. All any camera does is expose light to either film or in the case of digital photography, a sensor. Learning the basics is more important than shelling out a lot of money in the hope that it will make you a better photographer. I think in many cases, people try and buy the best kit they can afford, but when you get into the realms of SLR or dSLR photography, many other aspects come into play rather than the point and shoot mode of compact cameras. That's where learning and sharing experience comes into play, and through learning, photography becomes a more enjoyable experience.

Guys I really don't want to be misunderstood here, i have taken what i think to be some great pic's with some cheap and often not even my camaras, however i right now want to return to a full body slr to reaquiate myself with the freedom a quick shooting and flexable bit of kit.

The digital age has allowed us all to shoot like crazy and edit on the box.

Kit is kit the eye is the eye for sure and I would like the best of both worlds.

I'm interested in photography, and have a reasonable range of equipment, but probably in truth only an average level of skill. I'd like to develop my skills further, but in my experience it's always better to bounce ideas and knowledge between a group of like minded people. Maybe a club already exists here in Phuket, and I'm just not aware of it. Thoughts anyone?

Hi: I was in photography all my life and would be willing to assist with this project if it get's off the ground. I don't want to sit in front of the computer all day answering questions etc, but would be willing to go to a meeting once a week/month whatever is good for all. As for a venue, I agree it should be social, but not a 'booze up' :) I can give advice on how to shoot, but I am not up-to-date on the latest and greatest. My equipment now is just on camera. We could make it interesting with stories, to which I have a few! and running competitions. Anyway food for thought, I am open to replies via e-mail but I will try to keep an eye on this post. Good luck - good shooting.

Hi: I was in photography all my life and would be willing to assist with this project if it get's off the ground. I don't want to sit in front of the computer all day answering questions etc, but would be willing to go to a meeting once a week/month whatever is good for all. As for a venue, I agree it should be social, but not a 'booze up' :) I can give advice on how to shoot, but I am not up-to-date on the latest and greatest. My equipment now is just on camera. We could make it interesting with stories, to which I have a few! and running competitions. Anyway food for thought, I am open to replies via e-mail but I will try to keep an eye on this post. Good luck - good shooting.

Sounds good. I think maybe best to get as many interested people together as possible for an inaugural meeting, then agree on frequency etc. How about Wednesday 15th July? Any suggestions for a venue and timing?

Hi Memebrs,

In the meantime pay us a visit in the ThaiVisa Photography and the Arts Subforums

I know that 'paulfromphuket' has posted there already, so please do not be shy to post, ask, get your photo evaluated, join our monthly on line Photo Challenge etc.

We also have a Questions and Answers section pinned with lots of topics and sites for you to visit by 'Tywais', a great help he has been. :D

Our latest 'Hot' topic is HDR Photography :D

Welcome one and all :) see you on there.

Yours truly,

Kan Win

P.S. your friendly Mod on there :D

Sounds good. I think maybe best to get as many interested people together as possible for an inaugural meeting, then agree on frequency etc. How about Wednesday 15th July? Any suggestions for a venue and timing?

Okay then - It is important to get organized, so to that extent if anubody is interested, please e-mail me with just: Your name; e-mail address; dates you will be free around the July 15th suggestion; any suggestions as to a venue; any other suggestion. Please keep the reply as short as possible. I will use a programme that will keep everybody informed and offer five different choices of date. Once I have this down to a couple, we can then set a date and a place. I shouldn't imagine more than ten people coming the first time, but you never know. Okay guys send the mails;

Okay then - It is important to get organized, so to that extent if anubody is interested, please e-mail me with just: Your name; e-mail address; dates you will be free around the July 15th suggestion; any suggestions as to a venue; any other suggestion. Please keep the reply as short as possible. I will use a programme that will keep everybody informed and offer five different choices of date. Once I have this down to a couple, we can then set a date and a place. I shouldn't imagine more than ten people coming the first time, but you never know. Okay guys send the mails;

Can you check your email address, just had it bounced back as undelivered.

I agree with you also 'LivinginKata'. :D

Please take them out of post #15 and #16 as well then. :D as I was thinking that you left them there, hence my post. :D

Thanking you

Kan Win :)

Edited by Kan Win

I agree with you also 'LivinginKata'. :D

Please take them out of post #15 and #16 as well then. :D as I was thinking that you left them there, hence my post. :D

Thanking you

Kan Win :)

OK folks, looks like we're going to have to PM 'unclekleef' with acceptance. For my part, whilst the 'Photography and the Arts Sub Forum' is a great source of information and advice, that's not what I personally was looking for in respect of a photography club. I don't want to scroll through hundreds of posts for something that is pertinent to what I'm looking for, nor a walk around a venue and compare photos/competition at the end of it (though I'm sure that a lot of people would enjoy that, and maybe myself included). My ideal would be for regular, reasonably organised meetings, and where experience and knowledge can be exchanged, and developed (sic) from there in an informal atmosphere, not just a rolling competition.

Please register yourself for Phuket Photo Walk or visit Phuket Phtographic Society on Flickr

The walk on July 18th sounds quite interesting. How about the PPS? The web page doesn't seem to have been updated for a couple of months, and some of the posts are from quite some time ago. Is it still an active society?

We are also have Phuket Flickr Meet which we used successfully a few times. We can continue to that.

I've got a photo studio near TESCO/Lotus, projector with screen an i guess coffee can be arranged too :)

Please register your self for Phuket Photo Walk if you want.

Karim Khamzin

Phuket Photo PROjects

Would anyone who wants to follow up on this idea please PM me so I can start to arrange a meet, get some notes ready etc. Thanks - unclekleef

Let's see if what I would do is what you guys want. As I said I have been a photographer all my life doing everything from Food, to Brides, from Architechture to Cruise Ships, I freelanced in my youth (not misbegotten) and did freelance of the Grand Prix races of 1962 - 1965. I have given many talks on pho

tography and could do so again, yet I would also like to hear what you have done, what you know and more importantly, what you want. Please if you are interested PM me with your name & e-mail address ,Hi.

Once we get a few people truly interested I will try to organize a meeting, maybe iniitaly in somebody's home, depending on the number of replies Three. I will need to collect together the e-mail addresses of all interested as I do not want to try to run this on the open forun area. So can you please send me your name - (first) - and e-mail address. I will then use some software which will make arranging a meeting easier. We can set a date and work out the where.

Thanks

uncklekleef

• 7 months later...

Would love to join you if I could get a new DSLR but so far I cannot find a DECENT camera shop in Phuket. Forget Festival and Big C, useless selection and ignorant staff. Have a good Canon 35mm set but urgently need a DSLR. Bangkok or Hong Kong? Seems Phuket is useless

Mike