About The Non Immigration O Single Entry

A non-immigration single entry O (based on marriage) is good for 90 days. Then at the end of the stay, one has to apply for extension for a year. (1) If I decide to leave the country before applying extesion, does the visa become invalid??Cannot apply for extension any more?

(2) If I decide to leave the country earlier, can I apply for the extesion earlier not to wait till the end of the 90 day period?( say about the 35th day and I decide to go to Singapore for a trip, can I apply earlier for extension since I want to leave the country) Or you cannot leave during the whole visa period?

(3) I read when you apply for the 1 year extesion, the immigration will give you a review period first. During the review period, can you leave the country. If you leave when you come back Thailand what visa do you have??(because the extension has not yet passed)

I hope I ask clearly. Any info please about this.

Having just did all the paper work why wouldn't one just get the one year multi entry permit...Samll price to pay for the ease of entry exit. I figure about 3 RT's to get sorted for bank etc so I can buy a house, buy a car, and get a Thai Credit Card w/ Thai Airways miles. I'll be dumping United for Thai as the have a nice roll over program if you go the the BKK office!

Although you were given the facts will try to make it crystal clear (in my fuzzy logic way) :o

1. Your need a re entry permit prior to any travel to keep a current stay alive. You visa was used when you entered the country so if you lose the current stay you can not apply for an extension of stay with it. Obtain a re entry permit.

2. You "should" apply during the last 30 days of your permitted stay. In any event it would not solve your problem even if accepted at day 35 as you do not receive the extension immediately and only get an under consideration stamp which will require your presence in 30 to 45 days time. Even if you obtained the extension immediately you would still require a re entry permit to keep it alive.

3. During review you may leave providing you have a re entry permit. You must be back here on the date indicated and any re entry permit during that time becomes invalid with the next stay stamp so you would not want to obtain a multi entry type for a single trip during under review. You have the re entry permit which has a number as your visa entry upon return - if you forgot the re entry permit you are out of luck.

Hi Lopburi. Thank you for your advice. I like to make sure with you that during the single entry non-immi visa period and then one year extension review period, I should just get a single re-entry permit if I leave the country? and after the one year extesion is issued then to get a one year multiple re-entry permit?

Is that what you mean?

Lopburi said it already. The moment you reached Thailand your visa is used, means you have no visa.

What you got in exchange is a permission to stay until a date shown. (90 days)

If you want to leave and return you applyu for a re-entry permit that allows you to come back. Validity is the same as the permission to stay.

Once you apply to extend the 90 days for 1 year (always counted from the oprigianl entry date) you most possible get another stamp that says that such application is under consideration and you should return to the immigration office by date so and so (usually 30 days)

If you want to leave in this 1 month period, you do need a new re-entry, valid only as long as this 'return' stamp.

When your permission is extented to the one year you must apply again for re-entry permit to correspond with the new permit to stay until - date.

Single or multiple? Easy maths. single is Baht 1000, multiple Baht 3800.

Validity same as your permission to stay. If you travel more than 3 times within such period, multiple is cheaper.

Axel said it. Unless you travel often or it is a real bother to get a re entry permit you are probably better off just getting a single entry sometime before you need it. Although it is not a lot of baht so if you expect to travel a couple of times you may want to consider it. But only after you get the final stay stamp.