Car Battery

a269652

The car (Vios) battery is flat and I'm unsure as to the cause.

I took the battery down to the local bicycle repair shop (that's where they re-charge batteries) & asked him to charge it up. the guy said that the battery was 3 years old & it was time to buy a new one (he doesn't sell them so has nothing to gain directly from his advice). I'm surprised that a battery only last 3 years, but then I'm not car savvy.

What can I expect to pay for a new battery (don't want somchai ripping me off)

thx.

There have been threads about car batteries before, and I think that you are lucky with a 3 year old battery in a tropical environment. I never had one either cheap or expensive to last more than 2 years an a month or two.

Don't know about the price for a vios one.

I'm surprised that a battery only last 3 years, but then I'm not car savvy.

thx.

I bought a new Honda Jazz in July 2007 in Bangkok. A year and a half later, the battery had gone. It was a dry battery, which seems to be common in this part of the world and I guess for obvious reasons.

I had Honda put in a 'wet' battery. Honda told me that I might get longer life out of a wet battery. I am also prepared to look after it and check levels every couple of weeks or so.

The new wet battery cost me 1700 THB including installation by Honda. Not a big process I know.

Thank you to the poster for suggesting the 'Boliden' brand of battery. I will most certainly look out for that brand next time.

Frm-Bkk

I've tried expensive batteries, boliden, maintenance free batteries by Yuasa and 3K, and normal cheaper batteries from GS, Belco, national(panasonic), Yuasa and 3K.

None have lasted more than 2 years regardless of car truck/passenger/petro/diesel, price, brand or type dry/wet.

Bangkok is just a hot place, especially with the a/c running in traffic.

I don't know if they are available in LOS but a very good, but expensive, battery is the Optima (AGM batteries) range. In LOS they would probably range from 6000baht up if they where available.

I don't know if they are available in LOS but a very good, but expensive, battery is the Optima (AGM batteries) range. In LOS they would probably range from 6000baht up if they where available.

More like 14,000 baht.

Just replaced the battery in my Isuzu D Max a few months ago. After a couple of times of forgetting the interior lights the battery went flat and then would not hold a charge. The battery was the factory installed unit from manufacturing. Under sized for this truck but it lasted 3.5 years.

Batteries take a real beating here in the tropics with the heat. 4 years if you're real lucky.

I replaced batt with a higher amp unit from Yuasa for about 3,500 baht. The shop also did a free analysis of the electric system to be sure the system was charging properly and no unnecessary drain.

When I had the Honda Jazz, I had to replace the battery after 14 months cost just under 900 baht at Honda, the 2nd one lasted 15 months cost 989 baht also from Honda

The battery in the remote central locking would last between 10 - 12 months.

I must be lucky. The battery in my 2004 Nissan Frontier is still going strong. Every day I expect it to be dead but not yet. I'll use it until it dies. My Ford Focus is a 2007 and that battery is still going too.

Sometimes it helps if you oversize your battery 1 size or 5 amps pending on the fit. There should be plenty of space for an extra sized battery. For example my car came with a 65 amp battery, I just replaced it with a 70 amp model with very little modification. It was only a fraction of an inch size difference.

Car batteries don't last longer then 18 to 24 months in this climate. It is not quality related, but temperature related. The same batteries you get here are exported all over the world, since all battery manufacturers in Thailand export 75% of their production. Even if you bring in the expensive Varta batteries from Europe or the Delco MF's they wont last much over 2 years for 2 to 3 times the price.

Highest quality manufacturers in TH are GS, Yuasa, Panasonic and Furukawa (Siam Furukawa or SF), 3K is next level.

There's no solution except the stories of lucky birds who will tell you their batteries last 4 to 5 years here...

H

The car (Vios) battery is flat and I'm unsure as to the cause.

I took the battery down to the local bicycle repair shop (that's where they re-charge batteries) & asked him to charge it up. the guy said that the battery was 3 years old & it was time to buy a new one (he doesn't sell them so has nothing to gain directly from his advice). I'm surprised that a battery only last 3 years, but then I'm not car savvy.

thx.

The Vios that you have out there is the equivilant of the Toyota Echo we have in Australia. There are two different batteries on that vehicle here. The early model one upto 2005 will cost here appx 2800baht and the later model ones uses a larger battery that will cost around 4500baht. Both of them are 3 year gaurentee.

To make sure you get the correct battery there are some figures on the top of the battery (one being the CCA) which is the cold cranking amps that the battery needs to turn over the engine.

The early model one here should be around the 300/330 mark and the later one 430cca.

If you are not sure PM me with the CCA markings and all the details that are top of the battery and will try and identify what one you have on there.

Also if you put a new battery on the vehicle and it goes flat in about a week, a trip to the auto electrician is needed to check out the charging system, as the initial problem was not the battery, but a fault within the charging system.