Iphone 3gs

hey guys im new here.. so i am not sure if i am posting this in the right place (please forgive me if i am)..

anyway- i will be staying in bangkok from the 1st of july to the 10th. The iphone 3GS is due to be released on the 19th, i was wondering how long the phones take to be shipped to the grey markets in bangkok (aka: mbk/pantip), as i would like to purchase one during my stay. I am not too concerned about an unlock, so if i can get the device itself over there, i can wait for the iphone development team to unlock it. I have also heard about carrier unlocked phones, will these be available there? and what is their price range?

thanks in advance!

rubiks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys im new here.. so i am not sure if i am posting this in the right place (please forgive me if i am)..

anyway- i will be staying in bangkok from the 1st of july to the 10th. The iphone 3GS is due to be released on the 19th, i was wondering how long the phones take to be shipped to the grey markets in bangkok (aka: mbk/pantip), as i would like to purchase one during my stay. I am not too concerned about an unlock, so if i can get the device itself over there, i can wait for the iphone development team to unlock it. I have also heard about carrier unlocked phones, will these be available there? and what is their price range?

thanks in advance!

rubiks

I wouldn't bother, any new technology will be more expensive in Thailand than elsewhere as usual.

thanks in advance!

rubiks

I was told August in MBK. Dont know if that is because they cant software unlock it or because the guy wanted me to buy another phone etc..

True sell fully unlocked 3g's at a price. But because they are fully unlocked plus they have a hardware contract to fulfill I bet they dont get any 3GS's for 6 months or so. If you already have an iphone I would wait until you can buy an unlocked version rather than going through all the hassles - if you have done it so many times you no longer regard it as a hassle then fine. If you have never had an iphone save yourself a lot of trouble and wait for a fully unlocked version.

thanks in advance!

rubiks

I was told August in MBK. Dont know if that is because they cant software unlock it or because the guy wanted me to buy another phone etc..

True sell fully unlocked 3g's at a price. But because they are fully unlocked plus they have a hardware contract to fulfill I bet they dont get any 3GS's for 6 months or so. If you already have an iphone I would wait until you can buy an unlocked version rather than going through all the hassles - if you have done it so many times you no longer regard it as a hassle then fine. If you have never had an iphone save yourself a lot of trouble and wait for a fully unlocked version.

wait does that mean there are 3GS models available in MBK (locked) and are not willing to sell till august? or does that mean they have no stock of the phone, but will in august?

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen today Iphone 3GS in MBK, 35000 baht from USA. But no unlock yet..

I am also interested to know what shop might of had the Iphone 3Gs 32GB. It has to be 32Gb since my current Iphone 3G is 16GB. Also do oyu know if is lock but can put any provider SIM card in there?

The price of the 35,000 Baht not so bad. But it has to be for 16GB. I look in internet in USA through Gray Market go for about $1159. But they are not selling the 32GB.

I was also looking for Samsung i8910 or called Omnia HD but still can not find in MBK. Anyone has seen it?

I am also interested to know what shop might of had the Iphone 3Gs 32GB. It has to be 32Gb since my current Iphone 3G is 16GB. Also do oyu know if is lock but can put any provider SIM card in there?

The price of the 35,000 Baht not so bad. But it has to be for 16GB. I look in internet in USA through Gray Market go for about $1159. But they are not selling the 32GB.

I was also looking for Samsung i8910 or called Omnia HD but still can not find in MBK. Anyone has seen it?

Locked means you can not put any service providers SIM card in it. If these are phones from the USA they are locked to AT&T. Nobody knows if they will be able to jail break them ever. The good news is that if they do manage to jailbreak the 3GS then the utlrans0w unlock will work on it unaltered. This is a very big 'IF' at this point though.

Locked means you can not put any service providers SIM card in it. If these are phones from the USA they are locked to AT&T. Nobody knows if they will be able to jail break them ever. The good news is that if they do manage to jailbreak the 3GS then the utlrans0w unlock will work on it unaltered. This is a very big 'IF' at this point though.

Actually this is not true. There are 3 type of Iphone out there.

1) One is unlock which you buy from MBK which called Jailbreak and that one you can put i believe called Cydia and downlaod free applications most which no pay. myself I do not like it. Everytime Apple upgrade software then you have to take it back to shop in MBK for upgrade and it is altot of problem. you have to be also careful when using your Itun to sync. I had one before I sold it.

2) Is the one you mention from AT&T which is lucked to only one SIM card AT&T and can not use no one else SIM card such as AIS or T-Mobil in USA and so on. Which I carry in USA.

3) Is new version from Apple give out Iphone 3G last year for countries like Hong Kong or True in Thailand. Yes they are locked you can not put like Cydia on it and download free applications but you are able to change SIM card to any other provider. AT&T also start offering that to only AT&T customers I Believe starting March This year. This was only way Apple could expand and growth of their sales. I have one in thailand which they call it Hong Kong Version and that can put any SIM card and you can useyour Itun to upgrade it at anytime which I did last week to OS 3.0.

You can read mroe about it on the below web site please.

Okay this copy of example of AT&T offer Unlock Iphone that can use other SIM card. http://www.gsmarena.com/at_t_to_finally_of...3g-news-835.php

This is same as what Hong Kong Telecom offer.

This is a Article on Unlockign the current Iphoen 3Gs http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_3g_gets_unl...ng-news-987.php

So, we should have this version of Unlock soon as Hong Kong get their hand on it.

Edited by thaibkk53

Actually this is not true. There are 3 type of Iphone out there.

1) One is unlock which you buy from MBK which called Jailbreak and that one you can put i believe called Cydia and downlaod free applications most which no pay. myself I do not like it. Everytime Apple upgrade software then you have to take it back to shop in MBK for upgrade and it is altot of problem. you have to be also careful when using your Itun to sync. I had one before I sold it.

2) Is the one you mention from AT&T which is lucked to only one SIM card AT&T and can not use no one else SIM card such as AIS or T-Mobil in USA and so on. Which I carry in USA.

3) Is new version from Apple give out Iphone 3G last year for countries like Hong Kong or True in Thailand. Yes they are locked you can not put like Cydia on it and download free applications but you are able to change SIM card to any other provider. AT&T also start offering that to only AT&T customers I Believe starting March This year. This was only way Apple could expand and growth of their sales. I have one in thailand which they call it Hong Kong Version and that can put any SIM card and you can useyour Itun to upgrade it at anytime which I did last week to OS 3.0.

You can read mroe about it on the below web site please.

Okay this copy of example of AT&T offer Unlock Iphone that can use other SIM card. http://www.gsmarena.com/at_t_to_finally_of...3g-news-835.php

This is same as what Hong Kong Telecom offer.

This is a Article on Unlockign the current Iphoen 3Gs http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_3g_gets_unl...ng-news-987.php

So, we should have this version of Unlock soon as Hong Kong get their hand on it.

Okay here is more info for you from Hong kong

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/apple-sell...gs-in-hong-kong

I was getting excited there for a moment, but the article is actually from 2008, and they are talking about the iPhone 3G in the plural, which they call "iPhone 3Gs". It's not the iPhone 3GS.

Somebody said in another thread that Vodafone Australia is offering the 3GS unlocked. Wouldn't be surprised if they make it over here rather soon.... then again 3GS stock is said to be limited, they are selling too many and making too few...

Prices from their website for fully paid iPhone 3GS at Vodafone Australia:

3GS 32GB - AUS 1,129 or THB 31,060

3GS 16GB - AUS 929 or THB 25,558

3G 8GB - AUS 729 or THB 19,920

Looking very good... :) I'd expect the prices to be about the same in Thailand when it comes out since Australia isn't exactly known for its low electronics prices. Particularly Apple stuff tends to be way overpriced down there.

True has new deals too it seems... of course still for the old phones so it's overpriced, but their offers are now actually pretty good. And it's the first time I have ever seen a provider unbundle the subsidy from the plan. You can get these phones on a credit at 0.89%, or with a 5% discount on the whole thing if you also take the package, and.. the packages don't seem all that bad either.

http://www.truemove.co.th/iphone/eng/image.../table_news.gif

Edited by nikster

I was getting excited there for a moment, but the article is actually from 2008, and they are talking about the iPhone 3G in the plural, which they call "iPhone 3Gs". It's not the iPhone 3GS.

Somebody said in another thread that Vodafone Australia is offering the 3GS unlocked. Wouldn't be surprised if they make it over here rather soon.... then again 3GS stock is said to be limited, they are selling too many and making too few...

http://hongkongphooey.wordpress.com/2009/0...d-in-hong-kong/

[updated: 24 June 2009] Two days, what a difference it made. With the influx of imported iPhone 3GS, the prices dropped drastically today. The 16GB version of iPhone 3GS is faring HK$5,500 (US$705) whilst the 32GB at HK$6,800 (US872).

iPhone 3Gs available in MBK

Thats right people, the iPhone 3G has made its way to MBK, its the hong kong version but still needs to be unlocked. The price for the 16gb iPhone ranges between 35,000 to 55,000 baht. Both white and black versions are available, no 8gigers yet. They have a yessim unlock, this means that they will work even after a firmware update. Not many shops have them yet, you may have to do some digging around to get your hand on them.

http://thaiphone.wordpress.com/2008/08/03/...ailable-in-mbk/

Edited by thaibkk53

thaibkk53 you could just turn off updates in itunes so your unlocked jailbroke ipone does not need to go to mbk to get unlocked every time theres an update. The first thing you are supposed to know and do with a jailbroke phone is turn off updates in Itunes, real simple. Phone is never locked by accident, only by stupidity.

thaibkk53 you could just turn off updates in itunes so your unlocked jailbroke ipone does not need to go to mbk to get unlocked every time theres an update. The first thing you are supposed to know and do with a jailbroke phone is turn off updates in Itunes, real simple. Phone is never locked by accident, only by stupidity.

I do know this. But everytime Apple offer an update I do like to update my Iphone. This means I have to take my Phone to MBK to update. Right? I did in passed when I had one to turn off my update on my Itune.

http://hongkongphooey.wordpress.com/2009/0...d-in-hong-kong/

[updated: 24 June 2009] Two days, what a difference it made. With the influx of imported iPhone 3GS, the prices dropped drastically today. The 16GB version of iPhone 3GS is faring HK$5,500 (US$705) whilst the 32GB at HK$6,800 (US872).

iPhone 3Gs available in MBK

Thats right people, the iPhone 3G has made its way to MBK, its the hong kong version but still needs to be unlocked. The price for the 16gb iPhone ranges between 35,000 to 55,000 baht. Both white and black versions are available, no 8gigers yet. They have a yessim unlock, this means that they will work even after a firmware update. Not many shops have them yet, you may have to do some digging around to get your hand on them.

http://thaiphone.wordpress.com/2008/08/03/...ailable-in-mbk/

Why do you think the prices are so high in mbk they are 14 to 20000 baht more

Edited by saintofsilence

People are confusing the Iphone 3Gs with the plural of the Iphone 3G (3G's). 3Gs is the new tech and much more expensive than the 3G.

Not right , I am talking about 3GS newest iphone that was realaesed this month

A 32gig in australia unlocked is 27500 baht

MBK Quotes have been given of 55000 49000 and the lowest I got was 42000 a huge difference from 27000 for the same item.

Ya it has always been like that here. They buy the Iphone for the price you listed (27k) then sell it to make a profit so jack the price way up. They are not buying it for cheaper and able to sell for 27k. They buy it like any customer. Once it is officially released by True the price will drop.

Ya it has always been like that here. They buy the Iphone for the price you listed (27k) then sell it to make a profit so jack the price way up. They are not buying it for cheaper and able to sell for 27k. They buy it like any customer. Once it is officially released by True the price will drop.

Well I think it's worth waiting a few weeks to get the true price .

People are confusing the Iphone 3Gs with the plural of the Iphone 3G (3G's). 3Gs is the new tech and much more expensive than the 3G.

No they are not,in Europe the 3 Gs is sold at the same price as the 3G was previously.

Just for clarification:

It is clear that there are Iphone 3GS (big S) available at a price in MBK.

(1) As far as everyone knows they can be both (1) software unlocked (2) software jailbroken. There is no need for some cutting of sim and addition of turbosim device.

(2) There is no evidence yet that you can get fully unlocked phones (meaning that they dont need to be repeatedly software unlocked on upgrade) anywhere in the world let alone MBK.

If this is so, I will probably get one. I am not convinced they will bring out fully unlocked versions so soon. The True site doesnt even mention it. And it would cannibalise a production run that is already selling out. I am not waiting until xmas. True signed to sell 300,000 Iphone 3Gs (small s). Anyways unlocking takes an extra 5 minutes and the unlock is out before the jailbreak half the time.

As far as I know the jailbreak for the 3GS isn't out yet. The dev team is evidently not releasing it yet for reasons stated at their blog....

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

So you could be in for a wait unless there is some other source for a jailbreak that I am unaware of.

Yes thanks... that would certainly seem to be correct from a quick search of the internet. Does anyone know if the ones being sold in MBK are being sold unlocked and jailbroken or simply unlocked? Jailbroken means with Cydia and Cydia Apps.

BTW is the Bt35,000 starting price for the 16GB or the 32GB? And are they available in 32GB?

By the way apologies for doubting there will be a fully unlocked 3GS here in August - I didnt realize that True had already announced it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/06/12...ss_30104973.php

Edited by Abrak

As far as I know the jailbreak for the 3GS isn't out yet. The dev team is evidently not releasing it yet for reasons stated at their blog....

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

So you could be in for a wait unless there is some other source for a jailbreak that I am unaware of.

Yes thanks... that would certainly seem to be correct from a quick search of the internet. Does anyone know if the ones being sold in MBK are being sold unlocked and jailbroken or simply unlocked? Jailbroken means with Cydia and Cydia Apps.

BTW is the Bt35,000 starting price for the 16GB or the 32GB? And are they available in 32GB?

As far as I understand there are now factory unlocked not jailbroken iphone 3GS in MBK but the price for a 32gb is 42000 baht