Windows 7 Release Candiate Questions, Experiences

livinthailandos

first i know there are lots of forums, information online but looking through it takes long in my opinion so i am hoping some of you out there can answer my questions. Note I am using windows 7 RC Build 7100 I have put this on my acer aspire one D150 installed it using a external dvd drive. I have a 150GB Hard Drive, 2GB Ram. anyway before I post I should say installion and time to install was very good compared to XP, Vista I haven't tried since I never actually had to install it with my other computer but I did not have good times with vista ( I thank vista for helping me though migrate to Linux ). Wireless works very good to. my question

1. If windows 7 is basically Vista that should mean all programs that are designed for vista should automatically work on windows 7 is this correct.

2. I am assuming DOS commands used in XP all stay the same with windows 7, examples services.msc, cmd, you get the idea

3. I realize UAC is done better and using Aero got better to, hardware minimums got better to but seriously this is more like a SP not a actual new OS, why can't microsoft just fess up and say its a SP, I know thats impossible to ask, but you get the idea

4. Regarding using windows 7 for servers or database or for SQL, .NET what is your experience so far. Good, Bad, I ask because next year if windows 7 works out as planned I am going to build 3 computers and install windows 7 but I run software that uses .NET, 1 computer will be a server and 2 others will be the client. I want to make sure it works good before I run off and install 7.

5. with

• Windows 7 Starter (limited to three apps concurrently)
  • Windows 7 Home Basic (for emerging markets)
  • Windows 7 Home Premium (adds Aero, Touch, Media Center)
  • Windows 7 Professional (Remote Desktop host, Mobility Center, Presentation mode)
  • Windows 7 Enterprise (volume license only, boot from virtual drive, BitLocker)
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (limited availability, includes everything)

can well all just admit this is total crap, whats starter going to cost 150 USD and what ultimate is like 300 USD, I dont know about you but I rather liked just XP Home Edition and XP Professional, simple

6. You remember how you sometimes had to install drivers or using the install CD to get a printer, webcam, etc working, will that still be the case with windows 7.

I'm done ranting a few where actual questions and others weren't but give me your experiences so far with windows 7 beta or RC, I am not looking for trips or tricks just ideas on windows 7. So far my experience has been good

The use of Windows 7 on a Atom 280 would be disappointing, the Atom N280 processor doesn't support (Intel Atom N280 specs) Intel® Virtualization Technology. So the whole Windows XP compatible (and with it the previous 8 or 16-bits code compatible modes) will not be available.

I wanted to use MS Office 2000 (I have legal version) on my Atom netboot, MS Office 2000 is maybe old, but it is basically already overkill of what I do on my little netbook, write some letters, do some spreadsheets nothing serious. But MS Office 2000 doesn't work with Windows 7, so you need the virtual Windows XP which doesn't work with a Atom processor (I would love it when Microsoft did not used disk space for stuff that not work anyway)

Edited by Mr.Poko