Non B Visa From Penang

I am starting a new job in Bangkok next week and I need to get my non B Visa. I am currently in Samui so Penang seems to be the nearest place to get it from.

My problem is once I have the paperwork from my employer, how long does it take for the consulate/embassy to issue it. Does anyone know if I can get it speeded along and if so how.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but the internet is very slow where I'm staying.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, why is it that so many people are giving different information about the 90 day issue. Once I have my visa and work permit will I have to leave every 90 days? The school I'm working for say this is not the case and I can simply visit the immigration office every 90 days instead. Just not sure who believe as this is my first job in Thailand.

Again thanks in advance.

OliG

It only takes about 26 hours or so to obtain a visa from a Consulate. Normal procedure is submit in morning and receive next afternoon (assuming no holiday).

After you get work permit you visit immigration with the documents required to extend your 90 day stay for one year at a time. Once that happens you no longer have to make visa runs but you must report your address to immigration every 90 days (and that can be done by mail if easier).

And remember it's illegal to start working without a work permit. I am not quite sure for which employer you're going to work, but it will be a miracle if you have your work permit next week.

If your employer is able to apply at the One Stop Service (for BOI registered companies and those with 35 million baht registered capital) you might get lucky.

You won't get a one year visa right away.

Step 1 : You receive about one month

Step 2 : You receive another two months

Step 3 : You receive a visa for the period until your WP issue date + 360 days

After each step you have to return to the WP issuer.

After that you can apply for 1 year visa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Normal procedure is submit in morning and receive next afternoon (assuming no holiday).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you travel by train, you have to wait until the next morning and pick up the next day. You will have to wait for the next afternoon train.

Sunday Depart Thailand

Monday Arrive Penang

Tuesday Submit Morning

Wednesday Pick up Afternoon

Thursday Depart Penang

Friday Arrive Thailand

So all together a six day trip!

You can also ask one the agencies in George Town (Leboh Julia) to arrange the visa for you. Not particular faster, but more convenient for a small surcharge.

Edited by sniffdog

Thanks all for your responses, I knew this wouldn't be a quick trip to Penang. I will perhaps make a mini holiday out of it.

I don't actually start work until March time but the school have asked me to be available and close by before hand. As they are supplying my accomodation, I have no problem with this.

I don't want to give to schools details just yet but thanks again for all your help.

I will let everyone know how it goes and the details of the school as I get used to it.

Oli

This trip can be made in one day from Bangkok: Leave in the morning 8am AirAsia, and arrive 10am. Apply at consulate same day...Pick it up the next day at 2pm and get on AirAsia back to Bkk at 8pm. If your in samui, Im sure its equally as convenient.

Not sure what sniffdog is on about with the one year visa.

If you have the Non-B, you apply for the Work Permit. If your employer is paying you the minimum wage for your nationality you will be granted an "extension of stay" based on your work permit. If your employer isnt paying you the minimum, you can go back to Penang and receive a multiple-entry one year visa based on your work permit - right off the bat. (You will however be required to hit the border every 3months. but it IS a one year visa)

The information your school gave you about reporting to immigration every 90 days is ONLY if you have an extension of stay. If you have a multiple entry one year visa YOU MUST LEAVE every 90 days. If they tell you otherwise, they are wrong, as, much to your dismay, you will discover.

Hope this helps...