Bluewater School Increases Fees By 7 1/2 %

Unfortunately Samui residents/parents are faced with yet another dilemma for their children.

Schooling on Samui has been an issue for many years and just when many parent thought there was an end to their worries Bluewater School appears to have capitalized on the lack of any other international secondary education in Samui by increasing their school fees for next year by 7 ½ %. When the rest of the island is trying to attract extra business by offering special deals Bluewater School seems to believe that the way forward is to increase their fees way above the basic inflation rate.

Understandably the parents of children that currently have their children attending Bluwater are outraged at the increase especially considering that the school has just benefited from the closure of Open-gates School (the only other school offering and international education for senior level). By adding some 50+ students across the board from kindergarten through to Secondary level.

A letter to parents from the headmaster states “I now this is a difficult time for a number of families financially. I am aware of the delicate balance between what parents can afford, what parents expect for the education of their children at Bluewater and what Bluewater therefore needs as an income to facilitate these educational requirements”

As a person in business please explain to me how any business that has just increased its revenue by adding an extra 50+ customers and yet has only increased its workforce by 1 / 2 can justify to its customers increasing its fees by 7 ½ % without losing many of them.

Bluewater School seems to have misjudged its cliental assuming that they will just pay the fees without complaint sadly this is not the case and many parents are now looking for alternative solutions for the education of their children.

Samui has already had its fair share of problems in the past and one day the foreigners that come to Samui will remember the reason they came her in the first place for most it was to escape from been ripped off by companies that cash in on them at every opportunity.

Good luck Bluewater but I truly believe you have underestimated your customer base.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Samui residents/parents are faced with yet another dilemma for their children.

Schooling on Samui has been an issue for many years and just when many parent thought there was an end to their worries Bluewater School appears to have capitalized on the lack of any other international secondary education in Samui by increasing their school fees for next year by 7 ½ %. When the rest of the island is trying to attract extra business by offering special deals Bluewater School seems to believe that the way forward is to increase their fees way above the basic inflation rate.

Understandably the parents of children that currently have their children attending Bluwater are outraged at the increase especially considering that the school has just benefited from the closure of Open-gates School (the only other school offering and international education for senior level). By adding some 50+ students across the board from kindergarten through to Secondary level.

A letter to parents from the headmaster states "I now this is a difficult time for a number of families financially. I am aware of the delicate balance between what parents can afford, what parents expect for the education of their children at Bluewater and what Bluewater therefore needs as an income to facilitate these educational requirements"

As a person in business please explain to me how any business that has just increased its revenue by adding an extra 50+ customers and yet has only increased its workforce by 1 / 2 can justify to its customers increasing its fees by 7 ½ % without losing many of them.

Bluewater School seems to have misjudged its cliental assuming that they will just pay the fees without complaint sadly this is not the case and many parents are now looking for alternative solutions for the education of their children.

Samui has already had its fair share of problems in the past and one day the foreigners that come to Samui will remember the reason they came her in the first place for most it was to escape from been ripped off by companies that cash in on them at every opportunity.

Good luck Bluewater but I truly believe you have underestimated your customer base.

This must be very frustrating indeed. I find it hard to understand and can only guess as to the logic behind such a move. Maybe the closure of Open-gates for secondary pupils has been a bit of shock to Bluewater and they have over reacted fearing the need to ensure they are financially secure enough to deal with the increase? I am not familiar with the layout at Bluewater but do they have the space to accomidate the overspill from Open-gates? Will they have to build new classrooms, eating/play areas? Might it be that Bluewater has a monopoly on secondary education and are prepared to boldly milk the parents of their their pupils? I would be surprised if this was the case. I do sympathise and wish I could suggest an alternative. (what is the current situation at other Schools ie Panyadee re secodary education?)

What action could be taken, if any, to try to peruade the owners to reduce the increase?

If enough parents feel the same way, is there any course of action that could be followed

Normal in Thailand.

Loss of revenue=higher prices.

There should be many expats on this island with a degree from universities around the world on the Island.

Can't we we a free school for expat kids and their friends.

I don't have any children right now, but I'm willing to take some classes per week in my spare time.

Computer science, history, English lang, Swedish lang , Finnish lang , could be my hours.

I know we have a lot of expats here that could run a Expat school for free.

Just an idea...................

RE the rise in fees at Blueater--Parents on Samui with kids top educate do have alternatives.

This is a standard situation here in Thailand--I was involved in two start-up schools in Chiang Mai 20 years ago and several more in the Bangkok area before that. If you can get some general support there I am an international school professional and would be happy to volunteer my services to establish a community-based program on Samui which would operate on a not-for-profit basis as an alternative to the Bluewater program.

PM me for further discussion--should be able to get a program in place by the fall.

SUMGMT

RE the rise in fees at Blueater--Parents on Samui with kids top educate do have alternatives.

This is a standard situation here in Thailand--I was involved in two start-up schools in Chiang Mai 20 years ago and several more in the Bangkok area before that. If you can get some general support there I am an international school professional and would be happy to volunteer my services to establish a community-based program on Samui which would operate on a not-for-profit basis as an alternative to the Bluewater program.

PM me for further discussion--should be able to get a program in place by the fall.

SUMGMT

wow that is great and a great idea, i wish my oldest was in need as i would help in what ever way possible as is if you need some help pm me and i will do what i can.

A letter to parents from the headmaster states "I now this is a difficult time for a number of families financially. I am aware of the delicate balance between what parents can afford, what parents expect for the education of their children at Bluewater and what Bluewater therefore needs as an income to facilitate these educational requirements"

How about Scanning the complete Letter from Bluewater explaining their reasons of why they have implemented the Increase ??

I too am a Bluewater Parent ( are you a Bluewater Parent thinking about it as i'm not so sure with some of your wording in your Post & the figures that you give appear to be wrong also ?? ) & am of course not happy with the increase for the reasons you indicated but i could do without the smart arse Comments of other people that are not affected in the slightest by this & it's none of their Business at all, which this Thread will certainly attract..

Scan the full Letter so we can be completely transparent yeah.. :)

I really hope that Bluewater doesn't get the reputation, all be it not on the same level, as Bangkok Airways have because they too have that dreaded " M " Word with regards to School's at the moment & i personally like Bluewater, it's Staff & Facilities, a lot..

I don't think the solution is charity "teaching," by amateurs, although it is laudable.

Maybe the cost increase is for more tables and chairs and materials for all the extra bodies. And, it is reasonable if the workload has gone up for the teachers, they would want more money.

I was a teacher once (for six years) and if suddenly I had more students and more classes (more homework to grade for a start), I'd be asking if pay was going to increase because of the extra work. That only seems fair.

How about Scanning the complete Letter from Bluewater explaining their reasons of why they have implemented the Increase ??

I too am a Bluewater Parent ( are you a Bluewater Parent thinking about it as i'm not so sure with some of your wording in your Post & the figures that you give appear to be wrong also ?? ) & am of course not happy with the increase for the reasons you indicated but i could do without the smart arse Comments of other people that are not affected in the slightest by this & it's none of their Business at all, which this Thread will certainly attract..

I really hope that Bluewater doesn't get the reputation, all be it not on the same level, as Bangkok Airways have because they too have that dreaded " M " Word with regards to School's at the moment & i personally like Bluewater, it's Staff & Facilities, a lot..

I would love to scan the full letter however I do not have a scanner.

I do agree it would be useful for anyone reading this thread to see the full explanation for the increase. New senior block - new Astro-turf pitch - Library books- computers - text books etc. I personally expect these facilities to be provided by a school charging the fees it has been charging and not use it as an excuse to increase the fees.

I am a parent and have 2 children attending Bluewater. I chose Bluewater over Open-gates based on the education they are providing even though they were more expensive. I like the school and my children are doing very well. I would also be the first person to recommend the school to any prospective parents. For the record my children will continue their education at Bluewater as long as I can afford it as there is no better option for me.

What seems to have baffled parents is the figure of 7.5% and where this has come from. It would make everyone happier if Bluewater were transparent with regards to the increase. I was expecting an increase in the school fees as I do recognize that Bluewater is a profit making school. I am just shocked at the figure as are many parents.

The PTA are planning an emergency PTA meeting on Friday and hopefully this will give Mr Lees the chance to explain to parents his reasoning behind the increase and hey you never know it might even be prepared to negotiate after all this is Thailand.

I also do not feel the need for people to use this thread to post smart arsed comments as that helps no-one. Therefore I would respectfully ask anyone thinking of posting on this thread posts that are not relevant to not bother.

Thankfully at the moment the posts have been sympathetic and helpful lets hope it stays that way.

I don't think the solution is charity "teaching," by amateurs, although it is laudable.

Maybe the cost increase is for more tables and chairs and materials for all the extra bodies. And, it is reasonable if the workload has gone up for the teachers, they would want more money.

I was a teacher once (for six years) and if suddenly I had more students and more classes (more homework to grade for a start), I'd be asking if pay was going to increase because of the extra work. That only seems fair.

I agree I don’t think the solution is charity teaching although it is generous of people without children to offer their assistance.

The increase has already been justified by the need to buy extra equipment.

Surely the increase in students would cover this as many of the class sizes have doubled some have even tripled. This has provided a massive amount of unexpected extra revenue for the school.

I do agree it would be useful for anyone reading this thread to see the full explanation for the increase. New senior block - new Astro-turf pitch - Library books- computers - text books etc. I personally expect these facilities to be provided by a school charging the fees it has been charging and not use it as an excuse to increase the fees.

I am a parent and have 2 children attending Bluewater. I chose Bluewater over Open-gates based on the education they are providing even though they were more expensive. I like the school and my children are doing very well. I would also be the first person to recommend the school to any prospective parents. For the record my children will continue their education at Bluewater as long as I can afford it as there is no better option for me.

What seems to have baffled parents is the figure of 7.5% and where this has come from. It would make everyone happier if Bluewater were transparent with regards to the increase. I was expecting an increase in the school fees as I do recognize that Bluewater is a profit making school. I am just shocked at the figure as are many parents.

The PTA are planning an emergency PTA meeting on Friday and hopefully this will give Mr Lees the chance to explain to parents his reasoning behind the increase and hey you never know it might even be prepared to negotiate after all this is Thailand.

I also do not feel the need for people to use this thread to post smart arsed comments as that helps no-one. Therefore I would respectfully ask anyone thinking of posting on this thread posts that are not relevant to not bother.

Thankfully at the moment the posts have been sympathetic and helpful lets hope it stays that way.

No probs, i will Scan mine to the Thread tomorrow, if i remember to take it into Work..

I agree with your Post & will be there on Friday also.. :)

No probs, i will Scan mine to the Thread tomorrow, if i remember to take it into Work..

I agree with your Post & will be there on Friday also.. :)

Great if you can scan the letter at least then anyone that has not seen it will get the chance. I found out only today that some children didn't even give the brown envelope to their parents until this week end. Thank fully I got mine on Thursday.

I will also be there on Friday as i think most parents will be. Lets hope we get a positive response. :D

As much as it is a community discussionabout schools & such, let's not get into grey areas.The issue is about fees & not about standard of education.

I have let the thread run & as many threads on schools here, I'm afraid it will get out of hand.

So you have all made your point, a school is as any other business, justified in putting it's costs up.If there is any further constructive comments on this , please PM & I will re-open the thread.

Just a very strong reminder to members sending PM's.

Every school discussion has turned into a farce.I have not deleted the topic, I have closed it.

If you wish to proceed with unfounded allegations against TV,please do so with the administrators of this site, as I'm sure their legal department would like to pursue it further.

Let me reiterate something here.

This discussion is regarding Bluewater fees. It is not a name and shame thread; personal details of either the owner, teachers or of parents whose children are attending this school will be deleted and the poster suspended.

Unfounded allegations will be deleted and the poster suspended.

I suggest to the parents of Bluewater that using Thai Visa forums to pursue some form of vendetta or legal action against the school will not only be not constructive but will find this thread deleted.

I do hope that you can find it possible to remain civil and within the forum rules as well as the parameters I have set out.

Let me reiterate something here.

This discussion is regarding Bluewater fees. It is not a name and shame thread; personal details of either the owner, teachers or of parents whose children are attending this school will be deleted and the poster suspended.

Unfounded allegations will be deleted and the poster suspended.

I suggest to the parents of Bluewater that using Thai Visa forums to pursue some form of vendetta or legal action against the school will not only be not constructive but will find this thread deleted.

I do hope that you can find it possible to remain civil and within the forum rules as well as the parameters I have set out.

Thank you for re-opening this thread.

Thai-visa is one of the best ways that parents can reach other parents that normally do not take their children to school and may not be aware that the whole school is unhappy about the raise in fees. If the parents of Bluwater are to stand together on this point then it is important that we can reach as everyone.

I agree totally with your statements and the raise in fees is the sole purpose for the orginal post. The last thing anyone wants is a vendetta against the school.

Greed yet again..............why waste money on International schools, I have never understood that....I send all my kids to Thai schools,(although not Samui) cost is just over 6,000 baht, this includes uniforms, books and also lunch everyday.....the schooling is fantastic and I would prefer my kids to have an identity also, rather than being 'International'...if you are not happy with local schools, try getting togther with a few other parents and having a private tutor and spreading the cost....

I agree I don’t think the solution is charity teaching although it is generous of people without children to offer their assistance.

The increase has already been justified by the need to buy extra equipment.

Surely the increase in students would cover this as many of the class sizes have doubled some have even tripled. This has provided a massive amount of unexpected extra revenue for the school.

just to crunch the numbers on this point 50 new students with an average tuition of 210k per yr or 70k per mo. equals a gross NEW income of 10,500,000 baht per yr. hence lets say 5 teachers are given a raise fo 35k per mo. for the additional work load that would be 1,750,000, the new swimming pool, astro turf, and water well would not run more than 2,000,000 plus books possibly 600k still leaving 50% or 5m pluss to go towards the new building fund and the old student body fees have yet to be tapped. IMHO 2 points sooner than later will need to be adresses 1st. Value for money and 2nd. international license. I know it is easy to believe one own press but has the school actually become recogonised by the thai ministry of education and been awarded it's international school license?

You cant be serious that fees are 210k a year...................???????no way..anyone pays that is CRAZY!!!!!

actually in those numbers i tried to underestimate the fees! so go figure....... I have a very good friend who was paying approx 700k per yr. for 2 children at BW.

just to crunch the numbers on this point 50 new students with an average tuition of 210k per yr or 70k per mo. equals a gross NEW income of 10,500,000 baht per yr. hence lets say 5 teachers are given a raise fo 35k per mo. for the additional work load that would be 1,750,000, the new swimming pool, astro turf, and water well would not run more than 2,000,000 plus books possibly 600k still leaving 50% or 5m pluss to go towards the new building fund and the old student body fees have yet to be tapped. IMHO 2 points sooner than later will need to be adresses 1st. Value for money and 2nd. international license. I know it is easy to believe one own press but has the school actually become recogonised by the thai ministry of education and been awarded it's international school license?

These figures are correct and in fact the extra pupils this term would have also generated an extra 3.5 million baht into this school years budget ( more than enougth to pay for the new astro turf pitch)

My main concern is there has been no satisfactory explanation for the huge increase of 7.5% . The fees are expensive we all accept that. We can afford to send our children to this school and have done so so far and been very happy with the standards of teaching.

Last years increase raised alarms amongst parents and a meeting was held then in which the fee increase we were told was necessary based upon inflation and some investment into the school . Something all parents were in the end even if grudingly supportive of.

This year the raise seems bizzare and hence why questions are being asked and passions raised. The feeling of being milked is quite overwhelming amongst the parents.

I would be interested in suggestions from other parents who may have experience of similar circumstances. Please no excessive ha ha send them to thai school etc just some help to a lot of worried parents who feel like they are over a barrel.

thanks Thai Visa for reopening this thread

As a concerned parent we have contacted some other schools on Samui. One the Samui centre of learning has informed us that they are showing any interested parents in their school around their newly built complex at 1.30 today . Anyone interested can go and meet at their old school in Lamai.

You cant be serious that fees are 210k a year...................???????no way..anyone pays that is CRAZY!!!!!

actually in those numbers i tried to underestimate the fees! so go figure....... I have a very good friend who was paying approx 700k per yr. for 2 children at BW.

700k.............madness....obscene and stupidity...best for ones kids, yes........but this had knocked me for six

As a concerned parent we have contacted some other schools on Samui. One the Samui centre of learning has informed us that they are showing any interested parents in their school around their newly built complex at 1.30 today . Anyone interested can go and meet at their old school in Lamai.

this is the school that demonstrates a great deal of fiscal integrity and value for money while keeping a low profile in the battle of schools.

The owners and admin consist of qualified teachers and they have been in business yrs longer than any other like type (international) school on the island and now with their new purpose built building and campus SCL will most likley be the first school to have an international license on koh samui.

Just to add to this thread.

I am a very, very angry parent who has supported the school from the beginning 100%.

I am now faced with a decision to make regarding the education of my children - can I afford the 7.5% increase - sure I can. But at over 3500 pounds a year for a 4 year old, it is debatable whether this is good value. Where will it all end if we do not make a stand against this outrageous fee increase? And can I afford a 7.5% increase year on year (this is appearing to be a trend)- no I cannot!

The fees have increased now 22% in the last 18 months - a huge hike by anyones standards.

I am afraid that it is very easy to wipe out a loyal customer base with a single action and so much harder to regain people's trust.

I for one will not be taken for a mug - and (along with other parents I have spoken to) am actively seeking alternatives for my children.

Thank you for the info about the Samui Learning Centre I will definately be attending, please PM me directions.

Good to see common sense and someone voting with their feet......apart from this forum could the parents organise a meeting and discuss other opportunties etc

]

Ok here it is..

Really can't understand why people feel the need to comment on this Thread when they have little or no interest in the School or it's actual Fee's etc however i understand that this is a Public Forum, boredom i suppose.. :D

Edited by Rooo
Poster asked for deletion of attachment