Comparative Cost Of Living

gobkk

a nice serviced studio apt in bkk can be had for $200 while a bare no frills studio apt in the usa would be at least $1000.

Your painting with an awfully broad stroke. While that my be tru in some parts of the U.S., $1000 would get you a nice, three bedroom apartment in every city I've lived in in the U.S.

I lived in Boston, USA before coming to live in Thailand. My rent for a studio was $1200. My rent the next year for a 3 bedroom was $2100. Utilities extra.

Actually $100,000 equals nearly 4 million baht!!

We have been to nearly all of the countries in SE Asia, including a month in China and have also spent a lot of time in South American countries, the Middle East and Europe.

We have found Thailand second only to Myanmar for the general everyday costs. Just as an example, I've been studying Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Truly amazing. A tourist can take an all day 8 hour Thai cooking class that includes your dinner meal and stay overnight for free in a Thai village for 700 Baht. Or you can stay in a superbly appointed suite, that includes a full living room, large private patio, bedroom and modern bathroom, air conditioning, cable TV, everything you need for a comfortable stay, the price is $42.00 USD. There are no end of first class accommodations in either CM or CR for $20.00USD

You can get reasonable meals for 200 Baht, there are all you can eat buffets for even less.

Myanmar is even less, but Thai food is vastly superior.

If it just wasn't so hot in Thailand.............

definately cheap for most travellers, but not necessarily so cheap if you live here.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Jacksonville in a three bedroom that is not the dumps but not that hot either. I can do a lot better with my $827.00 USD in LOS.

skyocp :o

a nice serviced studio apt in bkk can be had for $200 while a bare no frills studio apt in the usa would be at least $1000.

Your painting with an awfully broad stroke. While that my be tru in some parts of the U.S., $1000 would get you a nice, three bedroom apartment in every city I've lived in in the U.S.

do you have a link to this hotel??

Or you can stay in a superbly appointed suite, that includes a full living room, large private patio, bedroom and modern bathroom, air conditioning, cable TV, everything you need for a comfortable stay, the price is $42.00 USD. There are no end of first class accommodations in either CM or CR for $20.00USD

We have been to nearly all of the countries in SE Asia, including a month in China and have also spent a lot of time in South American countries, the Middle East and Europe.

We have found Thailand second only to Myanmar for the general everyday costs. Just as an example, I've been studying Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Truly amazing. A tourist can take an all day 8 hour Thai cooking class that includes your dinner meal and stay overnight for free in a Thai village for 700 Baht. Or you can stay in a superbly appointed suite, that includes a full living room, large private patio, bedroom and modern bathroom, air conditioning, cable TV, everything you need for a comfortable stay, the price is $42.00 USD. There are no end of first class accommodations in either CM or CR for $20.00USD

You can get reasonable meals for 200 Baht, there are all you can eat buffets for even less.

Myanmar is even less, but Thai food is vastly superior.

If it just wasn't so hot in Thailand.............

definately cheap for most travellers, but not necessarily so cheap if you live here.

uh..yea..

meant $100000 in thailand is equivalent to having a million dollars in the us.

No $100,000 in Thailand is still $100,000 in US of A. I think what you meant was is $100,000 spending power in the States the same as ฿1,000,000 spending power in Thailand. If it's the same as UK differences the general rule is multiply or divide by 6. eg if an item was priced at ฿12 over here then I would sell it for 72p in UK. Same as a ฿10,000 a month house here would cost an average of just under 1,000 pounds a month back home. It doesn't work with everything of course. And these are just mean averages across the country.