Durian

saraburioz

I ate 5 kg of durian today and 4 large Singha beers and feel a bit flush - is it true about people dying after eating a alot?

How much can/do you eat? :)

Two weekends ago, there was the annual durian festival in Nonthaburi.

I did not count how many pieces I ate, but started (very) early morning until lunch time;

washed down with Regency soda.

As soon you fell the heat, eat a mangosteen (or two) and your normal body temperature will be back quickly to normal.

Don't ask me why, locales told me to do so!

Is it true about people dying after eating alot? YES!!! absolutely.

I've heard that u know just don't eat alot esp when the weather is hot 5 kgs just too much and never eat with alcohol tell u wot u eat durian 1st after that eat mangosteen immediately. it helps errr thats wot they say lol but it works hey in the past durian was expensive but its cheap now altho we shouldnt eat alot durian is considered the King of Fruits and HOT mangosteen is considered the queen of fruits and COOL, so it keeps u cool lol alrite how about lychee? big red ones called jakrapat lychee <deleted> cheap now !! no harm aswell taste good only 35 baht/ around 1 buck in the past it was like 80baht grrr afterall i love bakery more haha. :)

I ate 5 kg of durian today and 4 large Singha beers and feel a bit flush - is it true about people dying after eating a alot?

How much can/do you eat? :D

Maybe you will find out if it was a good idea or not when you wake up at 2 am and go to the toilet :)

My best Thai friend's father died of eating too much durian with alcohol.

I used to live in Nontaburi and ate a lot with beer - now I might eat 2kg max in one day but as I quit drinking doubt if I'll die.

The wife told me it causes liver trouble. Can make it fail actually. So combining with Lao Khao is not a good idea. I did hear that you have to eat mangosteen afterwards.

Dont care for Durian or Mangosteen. Will drink Lao khao on occasions, but only the 40%. The 30% does not taste quite right.

How much can/do you eat? :D

Yes it is true about the dieing part.. bye :)

How much can/do you eat? :)

You ate 5 kilos of food???? Thats totally disgusting!!!!! May I ask your lenght and weight?

Stinky fruit heralds a sticky end

From correspondents in Bangkok

May 31, 2004

AN elderly Thai man died after over-indulging in the notoriously pungent durian fruit, police said today, becoming the kingdom's second person to die this month from consuming the so-called king of fruit.

Thavin Chaiya, 68, collapsed at a fresh produce market in the northern Thai province of Chiang Mai Sunday after eating durian, police said.

"He ate it there at the market with friends. After eating for a while, he was asking for water and then he fell to the floor and convulsed," a local police officer said.

"He was known to drink a lot of alcohol, but he was not eating with alcohol at the time," the officer said, adding that the man died on the way to hospital.

Thavin was the second durian-related death this month, after a diabetic Thai civil servant from the central province of Singburi died during an eating binge on four durians.

That death sparked a warning by Thailand's Ministry of Public Health against excessive durian consumption.

The ministry advised eating no more than two segments of durian a day, warning that the fruit's calorie content posed a threat to people with high blood pressure, heart conditions and diabetes.

Thais consider durian to be a "hot" food that should not be mixed with alcohol and which should be offset by consuming other "cooling" foods.

The health ministry urged people to follow the traditional practice of eating durians with mangosteens, as the milder fruit reputedly induces the necessary "cooling" effect.

The spiny durian fruit is banned from most department stores and airlines in Thailand and elsewhere in Southeast Asia because of its pungent aroma.

Stinky fruit heralds a sticky end

From correspondents in Bangkok

May 31, 2004

AN elderly Thai man died after over-indulging in the notoriously pungent durian fruit, police said today, becoming the kingdom's second person to die this month from consuming the so-called king of fruit.

Thavin Chaiya, 68, collapsed at a fresh produce market in the northern Thai province of Chiang Mai Sunday after eating durian, police said.

"He ate it there at the market with friends. After eating for a while, he was asking for water and then he fell to the floor and convulsed," a local police officer said.

"He was known to drink a lot of alcohol, but he was not eating with alcohol at the time," the officer said, adding that the man died on the way to hospital.

Thavin was the second durian-related death this month, after a diabetic Thai civil servant from the central province of Singburi died during an eating binge on four durians.

That death sparked a warning by Thailand's Ministry of Public Health against excessive durian consumption.

The ministry advised eating no more than two segments of durian a day, warning that the fruit's calorie content posed a threat to people with high blood pressure, heart conditions and diabetes.

Thais consider durian to be a "hot" food that should not be mixed with alcohol and which should be offset by consuming other "cooling" foods.

The health ministry urged people to follow the traditional practice of eating durians with mangosteens, as the milder fruit reputedly induces the necessary "cooling" effect.

The spiny durian fruit is banned from most department stores and airlines in Thailand and elsewhere in Southeast Asia because of its pungent aroma.

Since the article did not mention any autopsy results, might a reader not suppose that that Thavin died from some latent physical problem (as was likely with the diabetic man) that may have, just may have, been brought about by the durian? And that some other high caloric food could have caused his death, also, if that were the actual cause? In other words, it was not the durian, per se, and, for a 68 year old heavy drinker, excessive consumption (my quess from the words "after eating for a while") of anything might have triggered this episode?

Urban ledgens abound about the effects of durian. But the only proven deaths from durian I know about were in 2006 from Typhoon Durian.