Tattoo

labrock73

Hello everyone another boring question on name translation but i will give you a little story on the history behinde why i would like my translation. I study Muay Thai boxing not as much as i used to but i still keep my hand in when i have the time, i used to be the International Muay Thai/Kick Organisation (IMKO) and British Muay Thai Board Of Control (BMBC) super middleweigth champion about four years ago in the U.K before i got injured which curtailed my chances of going furhter in a sport that i love to this very day. Didn't make any money from it back then not that there is all that much in it in the uk at the moment but i always wanted my chlidrens names tattooed in Thai, Now i have the money i would like very much to have this to happen and not have a well famous drink brand tattoed on me like i have heard on more than one occasion. My childrens names are OTIS and LEILA, i hope i have not bored everyone with my story and many thanks goes to anyone who could help me with this request.

Otis = โอทิส

Leila = เลล่า

Still learning but wouldn't that first one be pronounced "otiT" as the "s" final consonant would change to a "t" sound? Can't you do something to keep the "s" sound by adding an "" or something? Sorry to be pedantic but this is a guy wanting to permanently tattoo his arm. I guess he wants it 100% correct or at least to know the options/possibilities/limitations of translation.

Could it be โอทิซ์ ? As I said, still only learning.

Edited by Scottish Thailander

Otis = โอทิส

Leila = เลล่า

Still learning but wouldn't that first one be pronounced "otiT" as the "s" final consonant would change to a "t" sound? Can't you do something to keep the "s" sound by adding an "" or something? Sorry to be pedantic but this is a guy wanting to permanently tattoo his arm. I guess he wants it 100% correct or at least to know the options/possibilities.

Leila, I dont know how this is pronounced in English, is it Leela or Layla, the reason for asking, looking at the Thai script, I would pronounce, เลล่า as Layla, if its Leela I would spell it with a sa ra ii above the initial lor ling.

"โอทิส" definitely has no karan " ์". You use it when you want to silence the resonant that it is above. so "โอทิส์" or "โอทิซ์" will sound like โอทิ (silent "ส" or "ซ"). Now if you get someone who was taught that a "T" should sound like a "ต", then you get "โอติส". Some may even say "โอตีส".

As rgs2001uk said, "เลล่า" wound read Layla. As for Leela, it would be "ลีล่า" or perhaps "ลี้ล่า".

Edited by agent69

Otis = โอทิส

Leila = เลล่า

Still learning but wouldn't that first one be pronounced "otiT" as the "s" final consonant would change to a "t" sound? Can't you do something to keep the "s" sound by adding an "" or something? Sorry to be pedantic but this is a guy wanting to permanently tattoo his arm. I guess he wants it 100% correct or at least to know the options/possibilities/limitations of translation.

Could it be โอทิซ์ ? As I said, still only learning.

Thai simply does not have final /s/ sound, and not everyone is able to pronounce final /s/... Even though Thai has many letters available, it is not common to choose a non-standard spelling.

Agent69 is right about how Otis is spelled - changing the spelling or adding a garan will not change the fact that most Thais will pronounce the word with a final silent /t/ or /d/. The lack of final /s/ is a standard feature of Thai pronunciation.

See the Wikipedia entry for Otis Redding: http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B9%82%E0%...%B8%B4%E0%B8%87

After a bit of similar searching to Meadish I've found that a large number of Eric Clapton references in Thai spell Layla (if the pronunciation is the same)

เลย์ลา

edit: from looking at this link is seems that Leila and Layla are indeed the same name. So I'd go for:

Otis = โอทิส

Leila = เลย์ลา

Agent 69's spelling of Leila gives it more of a Thai sounding pronunciation, but this IMO is more recognizable as the foreign name.

Edited by withnail

meadish, Agent69

Thanks guys.

I do think I have sometimes seen garan above imported words that were not silenced though. However, as I can't come up with an example off the top of my head, that may well be just my bad memory. :)

You might be thinking of words spelt with the garan that when spoken 100% Thai would be silenced but that you've heard spoken by a more proficient English speaker. A Thai word/syllable would otherwise never end with a /s/ sound.

Edited by withnail

Hi people i really appreciate the time that you guys have spent replying to my request for name translations.Leila is the same as the clapton classic so you all seem to be singing from the same song sheet there (ha ha) with the spellings. Otis is indeed the same as the late great one so i will check the Thai wika' spelling but you seem to agree with each other as well so it sounds like its up to me which spelling i choose, Thai pronunciation or western spelling. I feel like i would possible stay true to the Thai pronounciation, Thanks again to everyone who has helped.