Thai Culture

sanmiguellight

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us come from Low Context cultures, especially in contrast to the High Context Thai culture. This fundamental difference is a key reason for the difficulty in adjusting I think. Learn more at http://www.culture-at-work.com/highlow.html

I found this short article to be very informative. It should be required reading for all expats.

I do not see that the examples in previous postings of deviations from the Thai cutural norms/values invalidate the culture or can be considered part of the culture. Because they happened does not make them accepted behaviour.

..............Traditionally, in lower income families, the Thais have to pull together as a family for them succeed financially. Grand parents will look after the grand children and the parents of the children will find some sort of income that is shared with the family as a whole.................... Thais seem to have more respect for elderly people and hold them in higher esteem than do western cultures.........

As a race, the Thais tend to be a little more religious and try to follow the teachings of Buddha. Western cultures are all over the map when it comes to religion.

But, these are just generalities as I've seen it. There are many exceptions to the rule.

I guess that culture is a viewpoint, custom, traditional way of life that is shared by the major % of a peer group.

The duty to take care of family is definitely a part of Thai culture but many choose not to adopt the giving part of this duty, but accept the receiving part. Families do not pull together as it always seems that certain members of a family group act as a drain on the others.

There is definitely more respect for the elderly in Thai culture, but will it be the same in 20 years time? From what I see, I doubt it. Culture is constantly changing.

When it comes to religion... I can't pretend to know too much about Buddism, but it does seem to me that most Thais only pray lip service. They do not adhere to the principles. How can there be so much crime, violence and killings in a country that is supposed to be so devoutly religious?

I see monks smoking, occasionally drinking alcohol and playing the lottery.

I think that most Thais have similar beliefs to Roman Catholics - Do what you like unto others, but as long as you go to confession and say a few hail Mary's you'll be ok.

Could the Thai way of having to have fun whilst working or learning be classed as a part of their culture..............

It does seem to me that most Thais do not want to work, is that Thai culture? World culture, more like. After all who actually wants to work? Everybody would rather be doing something that they enjoy. When I lived in the Uk, i would much rather have spent my time cultivating my garden, but I had to earn a living.

Sanmiguellight,

It's always easier to work if you are enjoying what you are doing and your post is one of the most perceptive that I have seen for a while.

A single thai does not want to be out cutting rice in the field alone, it's hard work and boring.

I have spent time in the rice fields and watched a group of 10 or so people in a line, cutting rice. I've commented on how much hard work it is. The reply..."This is not work - this is sanuk!"

So you are right a group working together and having fun will work a lot harder.

Edited by loong

Most of us come from Low Context cultures, especially in contrast to the High Context Thai culture. This fundamental difference is a key reason for the difficulty in adjusting I think. Learn more at http://www.culture-at-work.com/highlow.html

I found this short article to be very informative. It should be required reading for all expats.

I do not see that the examples in previous postings of deviations from the Thai cutural norms/values invalidate the culture or can be considered part of the culture. Because they happened does not make them accepted behaviour.

Not sure about required reading but it was an interesting article.

Two things suprise me in this thread. The first is the obviously jaded and judgmental nature of some responses. The second is the seemingly endless need to compartmentalize an entire culture into some small readily identifiable bucket.

- Do we understand all of Japanese culture after spending an hour in a Shinjuku pachinko parlor or a year in a Roppongi expat job?

- Do we understand all of American culture after a night in a Houston honkey tonk or going to a WASP-y debutante cotillion?

- Do we understand all of Thai culture from a night of bar-hopping in Soi Cowboy or a year in an up-country moo-bahn?

Keep things in relative terms of what we've seen, what we haven't seen, what we think we may understand, and what we may not understand at all. Is something common to Thai and other countries (like child abuse and violence) really reflective of a cultural uniqueness, or rather just a type of human nature in a different form?

When I think of a discussion about a country's culture or trying to learn about a new culture, I think about an open mind, observation and understanding, and try to block out thoughts of opinions and judgmentalism.

I am not trying to make a point here, but I stayed in an issan village for a week and discoverd the following things, all of which were on a single street.

2 nice houses built by farangs to retire in were now lived in by their EX-girlfriends and their families. The local view: They fell out of love just after the hoses were built.

A young girl that plodded from house to hose every morning had been dumped by her mother after her father died. She met a new man and told her daughter she would collect her in a few days as their was no room in the truck. 6 months later the girl lived on handouts and had NO word from her mum. The local view: Mum will comeback when she can.

Local wino staggered about asking for food and money. His wife left him and went to hel_l. The local view: He is sad.

Local guy in his 30s that did odd jobs had a wife in Bangkok who has a few American boyfriends and travels around with them. EVERYBODY knew and had no problem with the money she sent back. The local view: She is doing her best.

Clever kid with a chance of a scholarship will be pulled out of school at 13 to help run tiny family shop. The place seemed to sell beer and soap and little else. Seemed to me that the kid was doomed to a life of ignorance and crap jobs. The local view: Education is not as important as helping in the shop.

All of the above is true and you make may of it what you will.

These icon sets by Yang Liu are interesting ways to understand the contrasts. While this is specifically Chinese & German it's roughly equivalent for East & West.

http://www.myseveralworlds.com/2007/10/24/...tures-part-one/

http://www.myseveralworlds.com/2007/11/06/...ulture-part-ii/

http://www.myseveralworlds.com/2007/11/23/...lture-part-iii/

It's easy to see the superficial elements of culture. It's very hard to understand the deep cultural wiring we all have. To some extent you can never get it. Perhaps some people who really grow up in two cultures and spend time in each can but being 40-50 years in once culture and coming here you'll always be outside looking in.

But Spee and others are right - you can't judge it and you can't try to understand it from the framework of your culture. In the same way a man with a hammer sees every problem as a nail it's hard to take our mental models and have them encompass different ones. At some point you accept the difference as something delightful, you can learn to dance with it and it can color your world but you can't really have it inside. (this bi-directional). Or you can let it drive you nuts because people aren't behaving in accordance with your mental map of "normal". Up to you!

Two points:

'Culture' as understood in modern parlance is created by globalisation. These little distinct packages of behaviour, customs and norms did not exist until the process of Western globalisation (the first wave was the trade imperialism of the Netherlands and Britain). They are generated as the 'other' against the 'evil' of universalisation of Western values. It should be obvious that there is no such thing as Thai culture-- it is made up of so many distinct groups that were carefully co-opted by a powerful state. Please see "Thailand: A plastic nation'. Thailand was created by an elite to stop the West taking their lands, not because by an incredible fluke a state was born that exacly represented the nation of that space. In the modern day, 'culture' is invented to fight universal norms, to act as a useful mechanism in inculcating identity into nation-state citizens. How else do you get a third generation thai-chinese merchant living in Bangkok to feel loyalty to a monoploy of violence (the State)?

There is no such thing as Truth (note the capitalisation). There are many truths. This is immensely complex and asks questions of epistemology that simply are not suited to an internet forum. Ask youself: "how do you know that which you claim to know?". The masses usually buy into a Postivist view of the World of Truth, where surveys, opinion polls and empirical evidence comfort them with a sense of finding a deep truth. Among the academic elite, Positivism lost its grip in the late 1950s. If you ask "do you have any statistics for that?" to an academic studying human culture, they will choke on their morning coffee. I recommend you read Karl Popper.

As a race, the Thais tend to be a little more religious and try to follow the teachings of Buddha.

I couldn't disagree more. Thai culture is mostly form with little substance including their observance of religion.

In Thai culture, religion does matter one whit when it comes into conflict with human tendencies such as greed, selfishness, sexual appetites, etc. Much like Western countries.

Here, you just see more of the "public display of religion," than in the west. But bottom line--it doesn't seem to affect behavior. Just witness the driving behavior of many upper-class Thais--especially of larger vehicles with dark-tinted glass. Witness the treatment of employees by bosses. The same ones who religiously make merit regularly at the temple think nothing of cheating the nation when they arrive in positions of power.

Violating the precepts of Buddha is the norm here, not the exception.

Two points:

'Culture' as understood in modern parlance is created by globalisation. These little distinct packages of behaviour, customs and norms did not exist until the process of Western globalisation (the first wave was the trade imperialism of the Netherlands and Britain). They are generated as the 'other' against the 'evil' of universalisation of Western values. It should be obvious that there is no such thing as Thai culture-- it is made up of so many distinct groups that were carefully co-opted by a powerful state. Please see "Thailand: A plastic nation'. Thailand was created by an elite to stop the West taking their lands, not because by an incredible fluke a state was born that exacly represented the nation of that space. In the modern day, 'culture' is invented to fight universal norms, to act as a useful mechanism in inculcating identity into nation-state citizens. How else do you get a third generation thai-chinese merchant living in Bangkok to feel loyalty to a monoploy of violence (the State)?

There is no such thing as Truth (note the capitalisation). There are many truths. This is immensely complex and asks questions of epistemology that simply are not suited to an internet forum. Ask youself: "how do you know that which you claim to know?". The masses usually buy into a Postivist view of the World of Truth, where surveys, opinion polls and empirical evidence comfort them with a sense of finding a deep truth. Among the academic elite, Positivism lost its grip in the late 1950s. If you ask "do you have any statistics for that?" to an academic studying human culture, they will choke on their morning coffee. I recommend you read Karl Popper.

Dear Gaccha - I'd like to say I gotcha - but I haven't. I'm not sure how many people have posted on this topic but I doubt that many of us 'are on the same page', so to speak. I haven't read any Karl Popper - but I will but I have read some Geert Hofstede (Emeritus Professor at Maastriche University) . He famously said "" Culture is more often a source of conflict than of synergy. Cultural differences are a nuisance at best and often a disaster."

He has devised five key indicators of cultural difference and rates different countries on a scale. They are Power Distance (Thailand ranks very high - indicates a high level of inequality in power and wealth), Uncertainty Avoidance (very high - thais like things to be predictable and not 'uncertain') , Individualism (very low - indicates collectivist mentality) , Masculinity (ranks lowest of all other Asian countries - indicative of low levels of assertiveness and competitiveness). A very detailed review of this can be found at ; http://www.geert-hofstede.com/hofstede_thailand.shtml - it makes for pretty interesting reading

Now before you get your flame throwers out and say what a crock this is and you know such and such and so and so who aren't like this at all - remember that this is some serious social anthropological research not based on a few people met at the market or worse still - in a bar. It is serious research based on hundreds of hours of interviews.

My own experience - the longer I'm here (15 yrs so far) - the more I realize I don't know!

Good luck Cultural Commandos!

As a race, the Thais tend to be a little more religious and try to follow the teachings of Buddha.

I couldn't disagree more. Thai culture is mostly form with little substance including their observance of religion.

In Thai culture, religion does matter one whit when it comes into conflict with human tendencies such as greed, selfishness, sexual appetites, etc. Much like Western countries.

Here, you just see more of the "public display of religion," than in the west. But bottom line--it doesn't seem to affect behavior. Just witness the driving behavior of many upper-class Thais--especially of larger vehicles with dark-tinted glass. Witness the treatment of employees by bosses. The same ones who religiously make merit regularly at the temple think nothing of cheating the nation when they arrive in positions of power.

Violating the precepts of Buddha is the norm here, not the exception.

The average Thai layperson's idea of the teachings of Buddha is often wide off the mark.. I mean to learn they would have to listen, or maybe (ouch) read.. Even the monks go around blessing cars, blessing washing machines not to break down, etc etc Thais tend to appear more religious but my ex would worship any old statue if I told her it was important.. Thier 'teachings of Buddha' when you actually get up close and look hard is mostly superstition, animism, and desire for luck. Buddhism is meshed into this but most laypeople dont even have a clue whats wrong with that picture.

I was not discussing 'truths' that are subject to debate, truths that are formed from opinions, truths that come from group analysis. I mean the denial of facts if they are inconvienient or lower the persons face. Thai culture holds face over fact, they will happily lie through thier teeth claiming the day is night, or 'yes I did that job' or whatever it is that allows them not to be responsible and expect the world to follow thier norms of never challenging an outrght lie. As I said earlier this kind of social contract to ignore reality in favor of a conflict avoidance may well work in a static rice community of a couple hundred people but does not function in the modern world, it does not put men on the moon, or run nuclear power stations. The modern world needs truth in absolutes "no sir that uranium rod has not been made secure, I havent had time yet" not "chai khap".

Two points:

Dear Gaccha - I'd like to say I gotcha - but I haven't. I'm not sure how many people have posted on this topic but I doubt that many of us 'are on the same page', so to speak. I haven't read any Karl Popper - but I will but I have read some Geert Hofstede (Emeritus Professor at Maastriche University) . He famously said "" Culture is more often a source of conflict than of synergy. Cultural differences are a nuisance at best and often a disaster."

He has devised five key indicators of cultural difference and rates different countries on a scale. They are Power Distance (Thailand ranks very high - indicates a high level of inequality in power and wealth), Uncertainty Avoidance (very high - thais like things to be predictable and not 'uncertain') , Individualism (very low - indicates collectivist mentality) , Masculinity (ranks lowest of all other Asian countries - indicative of low levels of assertiveness and competitiveness). A very detailed review of this can be found at ; http://www.geert-hofstede.com/hofstede_thailand.shtml - it makes for pretty interesting reading

Now before you get your flame throwers out and say what a crock this is and you know such and such and so and so who aren't like this at all - remember that this is some serious social anthropological research not based on a few people met at the market or worse still - in a bar. It is serious research based on hundreds of hours of interviews.

My own experience - the longer I'm here (15 yrs so far) - the more I realize I don't know!

Good luck Cultural Commandos!

I was not discussing 'truths' that are subject to debate, truths that are formed from opinions, truths that come from group analysis. I mean the denial of facts if they are inconvienient or lower the persons face. Thai culture holds face over fact, they will happily lie through thier teeth claiming the day is night, or 'yes I did that job' or whatever it is that allows them not to be responsible and expect the world to follow thier norms of never challenging an outrght lie. As I said earlier this kind of social contract to ignore reality in favor of a conflict avoidance may well work in a static rice community of a couple hundred people but does not function in the modern world, it does not put men on the moon, or run nuclear power stations. The modern world needs truth in absolutes "no sir that uranium rod has not been made secure, I havent had time yet" not "chai khap".

One shall reiterate one's point, in the knowledge that I may be criticised for apparent verbosity. I just recommend that you read Karl Popper.

There is no such thing as truths, no matter how you define them. I will use your example of an absolute truth (at this point academics around the world are keeling over and spilling their coffees).

"no sir that uranium rod has not been made secure, I havent had time yet" not "chai khap"

How is something "secure"? [this is contextual]

How do you know it is an uranium rod? [this is contextual]

How does the worker know his role? [this is contextual]

You are probably getting the hang of it now.

Thais saving "face" appears absurd to the Positivist-influenced Westerner, but I don't even bat an eyelid.

Your looking for ambiguity in an example without one..

"no sir that uranium rod has not been made secure, I havent had time yet" not "chai khap"

The point I am making is not about the confusion of an employee, who might not understand the reality of the question, or variable states.. Thais routinely fully understand the question, with zero ambiguity or confusion, yet lie to preserve thier outward appearance. Its deciet pure and simple.

I am not questioning that errors or differences in perception can make viewpoints.. What I am saying is Thais, with full and complete knowledge of the issue, will make totally false statements about that issue, with far more regularity than any other race I have lived among. It is a cultural trait which has sadly tought me to never expect a future commitment, warranty, or promise to be backed up here. Its also taught me to phrase questions in a way to allow them to cover up this weakness, not 'can you do that task' but rather 'how would you do this task' therefore you have to deduce thier ability rather than trust the reality of thier statements, however when qustioned deeply about a topic they are overing up they tend to get vague and then get huffy and walk away, other Thais wouldnt question them in case it made them lose face.

I think anyone that doesnt think thats true (and has been around Thais much) is barking.

I am not questioning that errors or differences in perception can make viewpoints.. What I am saying is Thais, with full and complete knowledge of the issue, will make totally false statements about that issue, with far more regularity than any other race I have lived among. It is a cultural trait which has sadly tought me to never expect a future commitment, warranty, or promise to be backed up here. Its also taught me to phrase questions in a way to allow them to cover up this weakness, not 'can you do that task' but rather 'how would you do this task' therefore you have to deduce thier ability rather than trust the reality of thier statements, however when qustioned deeply about a topic they are overing up they tend to get vague and then get huffy and walk away, other Thais wouldnt question them in case it made them lose face.

So Right.

I had some people do some work and it was obvious that they did not understand even the basics of what they were doing. I made them redo part of the job and actually worked with them to make sure it was done properly. Their reason for the bad job - "We never work for farang before".

To be fair, the job was a metal gate and the associated concrete work and their skill was the metalwork. They did a wonderful job with the gate, if only they had just admitted that they didn't know how to do the associated work.

Looking after family and making sure toothless chewing granny doesn't end up in a cr@ppy nursing home p1ssing the bed and been left to lie to in it while her savings are been chewed through by the council/government.

This is different compared to the UK and therfore part of Thai culture. Looking after all the family first!

Hahaha, I never knew that was the norm in homes for the elderly in Europe, and ofcourse it isn't. In Europe older people do not want to depend on their children, this becuase they know they will be a burden. In Asia the same applies, older people with money live by themself, only there you find many more poor old people that can't afford to live independent so they have to stay with a child, and more often then not that child really doesn't like the burden of his old parents.

Looking after old and dependent family is not a choice, its a hated necessety in all cultures.

A general point. Few Thai people know anything about Buddhism, their 'religion' is 85% animism (spirits, ghosts, luck, bad omens etc..) and at the most 15% is about Buddhism. Most Thai people have no clue about the teachings of Siddhārtha Gautama. Buddha teaches to be kind to fellow humans and see how Thais treat fellow Thais; with deep mistrust, beating the light out of the eyes if they can. Same with being kind to animals, they aint particulary animalfriendly or are they ;-)

Ah well, the same applies for every religion, it all is a load of crap that keeps people content with the shitty state their life is in (acceptance is key).

Edited by MayBeLater

A post and replies to it that made derogatory comments about Thai's deleted.

Am I right in thinking that yesterday a member posted about a very traumatic recent event within his Thai family? That post has gone. Are we now not permitted to discuss any of the harsh reality's of Thailand at all? If we don't talk about it on TV then we can assume it doesn't happen, and maintain the LOS romanticized image. Is this the way it is going? I just can't imagine this happening in a forum in any of our home country's. He didn't include names or even places. I guess this forum truly is virtual Thailand. :)

Am I right in thinking that yesterday a member posted about a very traumatic recent event within his Thai family? That post has gone. Are we now not permitted to discuss any of the harsh reality's of Thailand at all? If we don't talk about it on TV then we can assume it doesn't happen, and maintain the LOS romanticized image. Is this the way it is going? I just can't imagine this happening in a forum in any of our home country's. He didn't include names or even places. I guess this forum truly is virtual Thailand. :)

Aiai, you came to understand the harsh reality of a forum; its not a democracy. Perhaps the way many forums are run sheds a light into the future of our democratic system as a whole. Now lets see how long this post is allowed to stay, for sure I breached a forum rule here: criticism on policies is not allowed.

MBL

A couple things I keep mind.

In the west time is more linier, in the Buddhist east more circular.

I was listing to S.P. Somtow the Thai author, composer and professor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somtow) speak awhile back and he talked about the Thai (Buddhist) ability to hold two conflicting things as both true simultaneously – something we can't do in the west. I thought that was very interesting.

Read my signature and that sums up a lot to my point of view. Many comments I see on Thai Visa are fish who haven't discovered they are in the water.

Yes, this is a very true point. Thais do have the ability to recognise that changes need to be made yet also cling to the status quo at the same time. To us it beggars belief but to the Thais its standard operational procedure. I think this maybe the basis of the circular argument used by Thais on so many occasions. A situation occurs, the Non-Thai points out the inherent problems which have arisen from the situation, the Thai agrees and say this is not good, the Non-Thai suggests changes should be made to which the Thai agrees but then states that this is Thai culture/the Thai way and should be respected thus the Thai then advocates that no changes should be made to Thai culture which brings the Non-Thai back to the beginning of the argument by stating the inherent problems with the current situation. And so it goes on... Yes very interesting. It will be interesting to see what it takes to break this circle - if anything :)

Aiai, you came to understand the harsh reality of a forum; its not a democracy. Perhaps the way many forums are run sheds a light into the future of our democratic system as a whole. Now lets see how long this post is allowed to stay, for sure I breached a forum rule here: criticism on policies is not allowed.

MBL

This is about Thai culture I guess, and it is the Thai way to never complain or highlight mistakes. So we best say nothing and let the wrong doing continue. That way nothing ever improves but we are all happy, or at least seem happy, and can keep smiling. :D

I am not trying to make a point here, but I stayed in an issan village for a week and discoverd the following things, all of which were on a single street.

2 nice houses built by farangs to retire in were now lived in by their EX-girlfriends and their families. The local view: They fell out of love just after the hoses were built.

A young girl that plodded from house to hose every morning had been dumped by her mother after her father died. She met a new man and told her daughter she would collect her in a few days as their was no room in the truck. 6 months later the girl lived on handouts and had NO word from her mum. The local view: Mum will comeback when she can.

Local wino staggered about asking for food and money. His wife left him and went to hel_l. The local view: He is sad.

Local guy in his 30s that did odd jobs had a wife in Bangkok who has a few American boyfriends and travels around with them. EVERYBODY knew and had no problem with the money she sent back. The local view: She is doing her best.

Clever kid with a chance of a scholarship will be pulled out of school at 13 to help run tiny family shop. The place seemed to sell beer and soap and little else. Seemed to me that the kid was doomed to a life of ignorance and crap jobs. The local view: Education is not as important as helping in the shop.

All of the above is true and you make may of it what you will.

<deleted> me I am going to apply for Thai citzenship, the Thai way all seems very "convenient" doesn't it.

Hey I did not read all the post but the 10 or so I did read I find a common mistake.

Mixing bannanas and durians so to speak :)

There is a huge difference in " Thai Culture" and "Thai Tradition" they are not the same and are as different as bannanas and durians so to speak :D

Hey I did not read all the post but the 10 or so I did read I find a common mistake.

Mixing bannanas and durians so to speak :)

There is a huge difference in " Thai Culture" and "Thai Tradition" they are not the same and are as different as bannanas and durians so to speak :D

I think that Thai traditions are a sub-set of Thai culture much like 'lady fingers' are a sub-set of Thai bananas. Just my thoughts

Thai culture is actually the same as 'our' culture. Only in a very different way :)

so from the mouth of babes, i asked my 11 yr old: son what is thai culture? his reply: "bad." i asked what does that mean? he said: "it sucks." I asked what does that mean? he said: "they are confussed." i left it alone after that but from what i have seen that is a pretty good definition.

Two points:

:)

:D

Snittt

:D :D

I must but wont

Your post made my eyes bleed

This is about Thai culture I guess, and it is the Thai way to never complain or highlight mistakes. So we best say nothing and let the wrong doing continue. That way nothing ever improves but we are all happy, or at least seem happy, and can keep smiling. :)

As long as we do not mention things they do not excist, its a golden rule. But its a shame so many forums (not TV because TV is very liberal, all is possible here, praise TV!) actively discourage any open discussions on anything remotely 'sentsitive'. Seems the meaning of discussion is a hard one; 'The purpose of the Discussion is to interpret your results, that is, to explain, analyze, and compare them'.

For some the power to end discusions is a gift from god which they like too much.

Now, end of this discussion before god calls me back.

Edited by MayBeLater

I keep reading about this wonderful thingymijig called Thai Culture.

I'm English and up until sometime in the early 1990s never really used to hear this word used to describe much apart from Art and em ....... more art.

Now its banded about by all manner of people to describe pretty much everything, to make themselves IMO sound enlightened.

On the basis that being polite, eating food, working, wanting nice things in life and to be content are for most on this planet just part of their day to day lives what are the exclusive traits of Thai culture people on here keep refering to.

I will start the ball rolling with the extreme value of "keeping Face".

If anyone is interested in scholarship in Thai culture, and not mere opinion (informed or otherwise), then please see Niels Mulder's books "Inside Thai Society" and "Thai Images: The Culture of the Public World". His work is both sociological (considered the best on the subject) and an anthropology of society. Anthropology is the research domain of culture, though it is usually constrained to kinship and small groups. Mulder does great work and goes far beyond surface "differences".