Is 3000 Sgd Enough For Two People To Live In Singapore

I am an Software person shifting from India Chennai to Singapore, the company which I am offered saying that they will pay me 3150 SGD + Medical insurance. Is that enough for me and my wife to live there. Is that possible to save atleast some money there?

Kindly revert.

I am an Software person shifting from India Chennai to Singapore, the company which I am offered saying that they will pay me 3150 SGD + Medical insurance. Is that enough for me and my wife to live there. Is that possible to save atleast some money there?

Kindly revert.

Hi,

Let me put in this way. First thing first. Singapore Dollars 3150 convert to Indian Rupees is about 104,500 (more or less). Sing Dollars convert to Malaysian Ringgit is about RM7,650 (more or less).

Now if you behave and spend like an Singaporean, that amount is very tight. However, if you maintain your food and lifestyle like in India, like eat simple and don’t buy expensive items, try to save and so on, then you are OK.

For holiday, just cross over to Johor Bahru, or any where in Malaysia, then you can go eating and shopping, as if there is no tomorrow. Why ? Because your Sing one dollar is MR2.40. And if you like to meet your country men from India, then take a trip to Genting Highlands, (about an hour’s drive from Kuala Lumpur). Everyday thousands of tourists from India visit Genting Highlands. Just a week ago, I met a IT engineer from India in Genting with his family. He told me he is now a Singaporean citizen, and happy and proud to be a Singapore citizen. He is a boss of his own company. His wife still holds an Indian Passport, but his son is a Singapore citizen. This is what I was told. Have a nice day.

Mai mee pan ha ! Sawatdi.

To be honest, that is nearer housing money than total income money. I know you can always live cheap and I went through researching cheaper Singapore accommodation but I came to a flooring which would not be possible on your figures. Even sharing is expensive unless you are really willing to live without what I consider necessities.

I consider it might be possible but I would not consider it a good move for most people. I can only assume that your current position is worse or that this would somehow advance your career further. Living long term in Singapore on such a limited income would surely be soul and mind destroying, seeing all day, every day, the things which you can never have.

As what most have mentioned, for 2, it is going to be quite tight a budget.

SGD 750 should be kept for basic necessities, per person. This includes food, transport and a little buffer just in case. So, if you are going to be providing for 2, that would be almost half your salary. The remainder would probably go to rent. Getting a room for about SGD 1,000 a month should be easy, but I am not too sure if 2 people are allowed in for example, and if it is big enough for both you and your wife.

Which means while it is totally feasible, you are definately going to live month by month, have little to no savings available, and you can forget about owning a car (though, a bike might still be possible). I would suggest that you come down alone, as that would be much easier for your finances, and have your wife come down (or you go up) to India to visit.

The one thing no one asked was, what is your wife going to be doing in Singapore? If she is going to be working (assuming she gets a working permit, etc), then the load on you would be much reduced, and you can afford some luxeries.

As what most have mentioned, for 2, it is going to be quite tight a budget.

SGD 750 should be kept for basic necessities, per person. This includes food, transport and a little buffer just in case. So, if you are going to be providing for 2, that would be almost half your salary. The remainder would probably go to rent. Getting a room for about SGD 1,000 a month should be easy, but I am not too sure if 2 people are allowed in for example, and if it is big enough for both you and your wife.

Which means while it is totally feasible, you are definately going to live month by month, have little to no savings available, and you can forget about owning a car (though, a bike might still be possible). I would suggest that you come down alone, as that would be much easier for your finances, and have your wife come down (or you go up) to India to visit.

The one thing no one asked was, what is your wife going to be doing in Singapore? If she is going to be working (assuming she gets a working permit, etc), then the load on you would be much reduced, and you can afford some luxeries.

Tend to agree with ABC's comment - S$3k is (in my opinion) not very much to support two in Singapore - we do have foreign workers earning a similar amount in my company (Filipinas as it happens) but I know that in both cases their husbands also work and earn roughly the same. So my view is that if your wife can more or less double your joint income by also working, then it's entirely do-able. If not, I can't see you being to accumulate much savings so it would then all depend on your motives for coming to Singapore...

Good luck

CC

PS - if you are getting an Employment Pass (as opposed to an "S"-Pass or similar) then your wife should be issued with a Dependants Pass (DEP) - it is VERY easy to work using a DEP - all you need is find a job (likely to be the hard part!) then the prospective employer applies for a "letter of consent" from the Ministry of Manpower which takes about 7 working days to obtain...

$3000 is not alot in Singapore.

Housing:

a. To rent a room in a HDB flat, the rental will probably be $450-$600.

b. To rent a HDB flat, a 2Bedroom + 1 LivingRoom, the rental will probably be $1500~$1800, depends on location and proximity to train stations.

Transport:

a. Transport system are generally good.

b. Since you are renting apartment, just make sure you are renting near to your workplace.

c. Even if you are not, transport charges per person per day per trip averaged $2. A return trip will at most $4. Thus a month will probably $120.

Food:

a. Food are generally cheap.

b. A decent lunch meal and drink at a food centre will probably cost you $4. Thus you can probably budget $10 per day for breakfast, lunch and dinner per day.

I am earning $3000 and I am staying with my parent, and I already feel a slave in my home country. Little motivation to strive.