How To Get Medical Help

G54

I have a Thai friend who has a medical problem. This problem is at least 2 years old. It is not life threatening. Yet as it remains medically undiagnosed, there could be underlying problems that may cause this to become worse. As I am not medically trained, I cannot say one way or the other.

It can be the cause of severe pain at times. Can also make the person physically sick due to the pain.

They know they have the problem.

Other than that I would rather not go into details, even on an anonymous forum, as this person would go ballistic and no longer be a friend if they knew I had posted at all.

The person in question understands the need to seek medical help but is too shy to talk to the Doctor about it as it is a deeply personal affliction.

Considering Thai culture, how can I go about persuading this person to get medical help?

My gentle persuasion and also me saying the cost is irrelevant and my understanding of the problem has met with the same brick wall of refusal.

The parents were made aware of the problem a year ago yet they either did not believe or have simply brushed this under the carpet through ignorance or from this person being adamant to get help. Before I intervened last year at great risk to the friendship, the parents had no idea there is a problem.

Now I am in a difficult position with regards to even trying to talk about this though I have slowly re-built the trust we had before I told the parents.

I can understand people saying, ' If they refuse to get help there is nothing you can do.'

But I want them to get help. To understand there is a cure. I have even accessed data for this on the internet in Thai but they refuse to look at it.

Not sure if this should be in the health section, but I am frustrated in my attempts to try and resolve this matter. But I care a lot for this person and want to help so that is why I ask if there is anything or if anyone has any ideas what steps I could take considering this is a Thai.

Back home I might have called them an idiot and dragged them to the Doctor or phoned their Doctor and informed them and let them find it through a medical examination or something. But most Thai do not seem to have a specific Doctor.

I have a Thai friend who has a medical problem. This problem is at least 2 years old. It is not life threatening. Yet as it remains medically undiagnosed, there could be underlying problems that may cause this to become worse. As I am not medically trained, I cannot say one way or the other.

It can be the cause of severe pain at times. Can also make the person physically sick due to the pain.

Other than that I would rather not go into details, even on an anonymous forum, as this person would go ballistic and no longer be a friend if they knew I had posted at all.

The person in question understands the need to seek medical help but is too shy to talk to the Doctor about it as it is a deeply personal affliction.

Considering Thai culture, how can I go about persuading this person to get medical help?

My gentle persuasion and also me saying the cost is irrelevant and my understanding of the problem has met with the same brick wall of refusal.

The parents were made aware of the problem a year ago yet they either did not believe or have simply brushed this under the carpet through ignorance or from this person being adamant to get help. Before I intervened last year at great risk to the friendship, the parents had no idea there is a problem.

Now I am in a difficult position with regards to even trying to talk about this though I have slowly re-built the trust we had before I told the parents.

I can understand people saying, ' If they refuse to get help there is nothing you can do.'

But I want them to get help. To understand there is a cure. I have even accessed data for this on the internet in Thai but they refuse to look at it.

Not sure if this should be in the health section, but I am frustrated in my attempts to try and resolve this matter. But I care a lot for this person and want to help so that is why I ask if there is anything or if anyone has any ideas what steps I could take considering this is a Thai.

Back home I might have called them an idiot and dragged them to the Doctor or phoned their Doctor and informed them and let them find it through a medical examination or something. But most Thai do not seem to have a specific Doctor.

Print out some information about what is wrong, and leave it with the person. Some people have to " get used" to something. I am sure they/he/she will read it. Not much, but all I can come up with...

Print out some information about what is wrong, and leave it with the person. Some people have to " get used" to something. I am sure they/he/she will read it. Not much, but all I can come up with...

That is a good suggestion. :)

Something I had not thought of. In fact I may talk with the hospital first to see if they have any literature on the subject. If not, I will reactivate my printer. Get a trusted friend to check the docs and then print them off.

Worth the risk.

Just tell this person you are taking them to a doctor on whatever day you plan and you will not take no for an answer. Some people need that firm hand to make them take that first step. Everyday I regret not being that firm hand sooner.

Like you I hesitated and what most likely would have been only stage 1 cancer surely metastasized into stage 3 because of that delay.

Go to a good private hospital that will perform all necessary test to diagnose the problem not a local doctors office who might just throw pills at the patient without any test.

^^^ I have already tried to get them to a Doctor and they refuse. Cannot force them.But I will try the literature method. Maybe it is fear and if I can educate them with a print out that may alleviate some of the fear enough. But I refuse to give up :)