Which Substance Is Worse? Alcohol Or Marijuana ?

cognos

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.. An argument could be made that Pot leads to stronger drugs.. it seems to be a small amount of people that follow that route..however even a few are too many, as heavier drugs like crack, yabba and heroin etc.are horrible drugs..I wouldn't wish that on anyone..yet..which is worse..alcohol or Pot ??

As an ex pot smoker from the age of 14 i have tried majority of substances except crack,yabba, heroin.

Everybody i know/knew who smoked weed for recreational purpose (this suggests they like me had full time jobs and responsibility not dole dossers) also used other drugs like coke/speed/acid/mushrooms

Smoking weed is an easy route to taking other drugs. This is my personal experience and most of my friends.

OP have you ever taken other substances asise from weed? answer truthfully.

Keep pot banned it definitely leads onto harder drugs. IMHO

Complete BS that is like saying drinking milk leads to drinking whiskey. Even the head of the American DEA concedes that there is no link beteween smoking hash and taking hard drugs,

How can you say BS ?.....the person is basing his opinion on personal experience of himself and his friends... :)

And thats exactly what it is...personal opinion.....FYI, you are talking about hash and he is taking about weed not quite the same thing... :D

There is value in what he is saying, possibly the physical act of smoking weed/hash does not lead you onto harder drugs, but the fact you are exposed to the "drug culture" generally means dealing with suppliers/people who have access to or sell harder drugs, and therefore people may be tempted to try or are encouraged to try harder drugs by peers or dealers, therefore someone can be drawn onto harder drugs that way - So the statement smoking weed leads to harder drugs can be valid statement...

I know of many people who have smoked weed over many many years and a lot of them certainly do have "mental" problems which possibly could be attributed to smoking weed

just a quick reminder to be mindful of the forum rules, in that we are on the border line of discussing illegal activities.

so far we accept that the discussion has been on the affects of substance consumption (or abuse)

hence we will let the topic run, but please tread with care.

many thanks for your cooperation and understanding

Bit of a generalizsation too say over use of weed causes mental problems,you know 'ONE' guy who gets paranoid.

What is over use in your book?,i know plenty of people here and in the uk who smoke all day and night,go to work,have a family,and are fine.

At the end of the day it comes down to individuality,i know loads of people who become violent when they take alchohol,i'd rather get a little bit para than become a <deleted> when pissed.

PST.

Both are as bad as each other, with alcohol doing more damage overall IMHO

You are not comparing apples with apples anyway, one is legal, one is not, the number of people using the legal drug (alcohol) is far

higher than ones who are using the illegal one, therefore you cannot compare statistically the over problems caused by one or the other.

Make Alcohol illegal or weed legal as the number of "users" will be comparable and then you can statistically compare the damage done...

Poster stated he knows one person who has issues with weed, I know one person with a problem with alcohol, so based on this very limited sample...both are as bad as each other.... :)

Complete nonsense,if you want to compare how bad they are compare deaths,alchohol related=millions,weed related=Practically zero....FACT.

PST.

This theory (the escalation or 'gateway' theory) has been discredited countless times empirically. On the other hand: ""People who abuse drugs are also likely to be cigarette smokers. More than two-thirds of drug abusers are regular tobacco smokers, a rate more than double that of the rest of the population." NIDA - Nicotine Craving and Heavy Smoking May Contribute to Increased Use of Cocaine and Heroin (October 2000).

Scientists should spend more time and money researching and trying to discover a mind blowing drug that is harmless and non-addictive and inexpensive.

Then Joe Public, would quit the booze and pot and whizz and charlie and brown and live in a state of bliss.

Scientists should spend more time and money researching and trying to discover a mind blowing drug that is harmless and non-addictive and inexpensive.

Then Joe Public, would quit the booze and pot and whizz and charlie and brown and live in a state of bliss.

:):D

.. An argument could be made that Pot leads to stronger drugs.. it seems to be a small amount of people that follow that route..however even a few are too many, as heavier drugs like crack, yabba and heroin etc.are horrible drugs..I wouldn't wish that on anyone..yet..which is worse..alcohol or Pot ??

As an ex pot smoker from the age of 14 i have tried majority of substances except crack,yabba, heroin.

Everybody i know/knew who smoked weed for recreational purpose (this suggests they like me had full time jobs and responsibility not dole dossers) also used other drugs like coke/speed/acid/mushrooms

Smoking weed is an easy route to taking other drugs. This is my personal experience and most of my friends.

Complete BS that is like saying drinking milk leads to drinking whiskey. Even the head of the American DEA concedes that there is no link beteween smoking hash and taking hard drugs,

How can you say BS ?.....the person is basing his opinion on personal experience of himself and his friends... :)

And thats exactly what it is...personal opinion.....FYI, you are talking about hash and he is taking about weed not quite the same thing... :D

There is value in what he is saying, possibly the physical act of smoking weed/hash does not lead you onto harder drugs, but the fact you are exposed to the "drug culture" generally means dealing with suppliers/people who have access to or sell harder drugs, and therefore people may be tempted to try or are encouraged to try harder drugs by peers or dealers, therefore someone can be drawn onto harder drugs that way - So the statement smoking weed leads to harder drugs can be valid statement...

I know of many people who have smoked weed over many many years and a lot of them certainly do have "mental" problems which possibly could be attributed to smoking weed

Yeah, like when we go into a Supermarket and are exposed to the alcohol being pushed by the grocery dealers

Edited by deprogrammed

from JR Texas (deleted stuff because threads getting mixed up):

There is a serious body of scientific research that has shown, conclusively, that legal drugs (especially alcohol and tobacco) are far more costly to society in terms of deaths and dollars than illegal drugs.

For the past thirty years I a have wondered how long it will take the public to wake up and stop this fruitless war on illegal drugs by a band of legal drug addicts who are certain that they are not even taking drugs.

The war on illegal drugs was, in part, designed to promote a secret war against minorities, liberals, free thinking people, and the freedom from government search and seizure.......it has been a disaster on many fronts.

The Netherlands has already shown us there are better ways of dealing with the problem.

Yeah, like when we go into a Supermarket and are exposed to the alcohol being pushed by the grocery dealers

Yeap...the short skirted "Tiger girls", "Chang girls" or the girls in Tesco's pushing the Jonnie Walker or the wine by giving free samples... :)

Let me just say this is a topic I often talk about, with friends family ect. Let me just start with, can you kill yourself by smoking too much in one night?(weed)

Can you die from drinking too much in 1 night.

I think we all know the answer to this one. In fact scientists found, purely by injecting pure THC that it would take over 40,000 times the possible dose to kill you.

Why Is Marijuana illegal? Because originally it threatened the profits of a news paper tycoon who also monopolized the timber industry in the norther US in the 1930s. Using his news papers to create fear campaigns he was successfully able to use a narcotics agent who realized cocaine and other substances weren't enough to justify the creation of the DEA so they attached marijuana to it.... Here are some of the racist claims that were made to congress in the process of making this substance illegal, now look at them and tell me if you would support a law in this day and age which uses this kind of unproven rationalization to create a case and produce a law, one thats stuck, had billions invested into it, cost hundreds in millions of year from peoples lives, taken good hard working people from society who would have actually been useful. Tell me, can you now justify this? is there any possible way to rationalize the lost and the cost to human lives? NO thats why the fear proper gators are too afraid to admit they were wrong, imagine if you suddenly had to admit, shit we were wrong then 100,000s of death sentences which were carried out were wrong. The government and people are too afraid to be this wrong, and the sad part is the fear of being wrong is making the consequences worse for those who have no power at all, and really have done nothing wrong.

You can read more about why marijuana was made illegal here http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/200...anaIllegal.html its a very good article and if your one of those closed minded individuals who is sitting at home scoughing because you truly believe in what you think then I encourage you please open your mind and try to learn more about a subject you obviously know NOTHING about.

I smoked more than you and all your friends i don't care who they are, and I still smoke more. I work 9-5 and am starting my own company here, I play sports 2 times a week and goto the gym. Your kidding yourself if you want to blame any of your short comings on weed. Wake up and realize your friends and you were just that way from the start and weed made you accept it easier.

Now I disagree that pot is a gateway drug, anyone seeking an experience and feels that weed will be it will naturally want to know what the next experience will be. Imagine if weed didn't exist, would these other addicts not exist? Of course they would, again all down to the predisposition of the person.

Now personally I don't believe in knocking anything you haven't tried so I tried them all so that I can atleast feel I have a more informed opinion than any of you, because I am assuming most of you are pussy's.

Crack, just a bit better than weed, god dam_n addictive.

Opium, relaxing, god dam_n addictive.

Speed, stimulant, awesome stimulant, addictive.

LSD, awesome fun, not addictive.

Mushrooms, weak kids fun, not addictive.

Weed, weak relaxant, I can smoke 5 spliffs and still stand in front of a crowd and give a speech on tourism in Thailand and not have a single god dam_n problem.

Alcohol, I hate the stuff, talk about losing control and causing problems. One of the worst substances I have tried, but unfortunately the most readily available.

Did marijuana make me try and of these? No, I tried them because I wanted to, I won't let something else be my excuse, perhaps its because I didn't fail at life that I don't need to use this as an excuse. I hate to tell you this, but someone are just born where they are and will always stay there. Don't take the easy road or let them, know its something in them that causes them to exist the way they do. Of course I feel pity for them, but I also feel pity for the millions of starving around the world but do as much to help them as I do for anyone else. So get off your high horses and think for once.

Now there are a few drugs I haven't tried, mainly because I just plain haven't had the opportunity. But you know what I don't really care much for any of them aside from my beloved weed. I'm not addicted, I have been without it for about a week in Vietnam atm and not really missing it at all. But this caffeine has me buzzing.

Marijuana is fattening. Impossible to smoke and not eat.

I don't get munchies, I really think people only get that because media and popularization of marijuana recently makes people assume thats a common effect. I am 6ft1 and I weight 69 kgs atm. Thats a BMI of 21.idk so thats pretty healthy.

Forgot to add quotes lol, oops. Here they are

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."

Edited by aussiejosh

The Netherlands has already shown us there are better ways of dealing with the problem.

And believe these days the Netherlands is re-thinking their "better ways of dealing with problem"

Because of international pressure to do so and the fear from other nations. They simply never made it illegal in the first place as it is something that has been used for 8000+ years.

Again, why? because of closed minded individuals.

Seriously, my only problem with it being illegal is that alcohol is not. You shouldn't be able to do that as its so clear which is worse.

And as it is the most abused illicit substance in the US isn't it funny that it causes no deaths and the least related crimes (aside from the 'drug' busts ect)

If they want Thailand to be a police state thats fine, just don't try and play both.

The laws make no sense, and trying to say they are justified is stupid. They aren't based on government research, they aren't based on much. They really only exist everywhere because America was the global power for so long everyone simple followed suit, hel_l even medical studies saying marijuana can cause cancer tumors to reduce in size and stop Alzheimer was blocked by the bush administration because of again fear mongering. How can you justify that? Please do tell me.

Over use of weed causes mental problems. One guy I know gets paranoid on it. He knows it's a problem but he can't give it up.

If it were not illegal what would he be paranoid about? :)

Actually a very fair point, if he was smoking in Thailand I wouldn't blame him for becoming paranoid, shit I know myself when living there years ago, carrying or buying was a weekly hassle. Didn't make me paranoid, police couldn't find drugs on me for the life of them, I can't remember the countless number of times I just acted chilled and talked politely while they gave me a half arsed pat down. But the fear is there of course.

Most people who say marijuana is evil are biased by the classical picture of a typical marijuana smoker, a hippie. If marijuana would came with, let's say, industrial workers, the opinion of many of the anti marijuana brigade would be different.

I smoke weed since i'm 14, legalizing it in Europe would reduce heavily organized crimes.

But would cause more addicts.

But let's face it, in Holland it is legal, but that didn't cause more addicts.

THC (the effecting chemical in marijuana) is not addictive. How many people are addicted to their drink anyway?

Shit, gotta get on a plane. Just try and think of what makes more sense people. Because current policy does not. Do you want your money being wasted this way?

I smoke weed since i'm 14, legalizing it in Europe would reduce heavily organized crimes.

But would cause more addicts.

But let's face it, in Holland it is legal, but that didn't cause more addicts.

I stand to be corrected in Holland, its actually not legal.....its been decriminalised, but still not "legal"

Agree with Grantbkk. The dope is fun stuff, has some great uses but can make you very non productive.

From my experience dope turned people who behaved like wild barbaric animals when drunk as teens, into easy going people.

Problems are the damage on the lungs, the gross intake in food, and the multitudes of half done jobs around the house, to name a few...fun gate way but scrambled mind.

Still recommend dope but only now and then and with good family and friends and beer, and food and chips and food, and more food...

Marijuana is the most commonly abused illicit drug in the United States. It is a dry, shredded green and brown mix of flowers, stems, seeds, and leaves derived from the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. The main active chemical in marijuana is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol; THC for short.

How is Marijuana Abused?

Marijuana is usually smoked as a cigarette (joint) or in a pipe. It is also smoked in blunts, which are cigars that have been emptied of tobacco and refilled with marijuana. Since the blunt retains the tobacco leaf used to wrap the cigar, this mode of delivery combines marijuana's active ingredients with nicotine and other harmful chemicals. Marijuana can also be mixed in food or brewed as a tea. As a more concentrated, resinous form it is called hashish, and as a sticky black liquid, hash oil.* Marijuana smoke has a pungent and distinctive, usually sweet-and-sour odor.

How Does Marijuana Affect the Brain?

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to the brain and other organs throughout the body.

THC acts upon specific sites in the brain, called cannabinoid receptors, kicking off a series of cellular reactions that ultimately lead to the "high" that users experience when they smoke marijuana. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. The highest density of cannabinoid receptors are found in parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thoughts, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.1

Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.

Research on the long-term effects of marijuana abuse indicates some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system3 and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine.4 Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

Addictive Potential

Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction; that is, compulsive drug seeking and abuse despite its known harmful effects upon social functioning in the context of family, school, work, and recreational activities. Long-term marijuana abusers trying to quit report irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which make it difficult to quit. These withdrawal symptoms begin within about 1 day following abstinence, peak at 2–3 days, and subside within 1 or 2 weeks following drug cessation.5

Marijuana and Mental Health

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be a factor, where early use is a marker of vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or is used in attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence. Chronic marijuana use, especially in a very young person, may also be a marker of risk for mental illnesses, including addiction, stemming from genetic or environmental vulnerabilities, such as early exposure to stress or violence. At the present time, the strongest evidence links marijuana use and schizophrenia and/or related disorders6. High doses of marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction, and research suggests that in vulnerable individuals, marijuana use may be a factor that increases risk for the disease.

What Other Adverse Effect Does Marijuana Have on Health?

Effects on the Heart

One study found that an abuser's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana.7 The researchers suggest that such an outcome might occur from marijuana's effects on blood pressure and heart rate (it increases both) and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

Effects on the Lungs

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;8 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.9 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency toward obstructed airways. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.10 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Effects on Daily Life

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. In one study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including physical and mental health, cognitive abilities, social life, and career status.11 Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover.

What Treatment Options Exist?

Behavioral interventions, including cognitive behavioral therapy and motivational incentives (i.e., providing vouchers for goods or services to patients who remain abstinent) have shown efficacy in treating marijuana dependence. Although no medications are currently available, recent discoveries about the workings of the cannabinoid system offer promise for the development of medications to ease withdrawal, block the intoxicating effects of marijuana, and prevent relapse.

The latest treatment data indicate that in 2006 marijuana was the most common illicit drug of abuse and was responsible for about 16 percent (289,988) of all admissions to treatment facilities in the United States. Marijuana admissions were primarily male (73.8 percent), White (51.5 percent), and young (36.1 percent were in the 15–19 age range). Those in treatment for primary marijuana abuse had begun use at an early age: 56.2 percent had abused it by age 14 and 92.5 percent had abused it by age 18.**

How Widespread is Marijuana Abuse?

According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, in 2006, 14.8 million Americans age 12 or older used marijuana at least once in the month prior to being surveyed, which is similar to the 2005 rate. About 6,000 people a day in 2006 used marijuana for the first time—2.2 million Americans. Of these, 63.3 percent were under age 18.***

Monitoring the Future Survey

According to the 2007 Monitoring the Future survey—a national survey of 8th, 10th, and 12th graders, marijuana use has been declining since the late 1990s. Between 2000 and 2007, past-year use decreased more than 20 percent in all three grades combined. Nevertheless, marijuana use remains at unacceptably high levels, with more than 40 percent of high school seniors reporting use at least once in their lifetimes. ****

Percentage of 8th-Graders Who Have Used Marijuana:

Monitoring the Future Study, 2007

1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000

Lifetime 16.7% 19.9% 23.1% 22.6% 22.2% 22.0% 20.3%

Past Year 13.0 15.8 18.3 17.7 16.9 16.5 15.6

Past Month 7.8 9.1 11.3 10.2 9.7 9.7 9.1

Daily 0.7 0.8 1.5 1.1 1.1 1.4 1.3

2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007

Lifetime 20.4% 19.2% 17.5% 16.3% 16.5% 15.7 14.2

Past Year 15.4 14.6 12.8 11.8 12.2 11.7 10.3

Past Month 9.2 8.3 7.5 6.4 6.6 6.5 5.7

Daily 1.3 1.2 1.0 0.8 1.0 1.0 0.8

Percentage of 10th-Graders Who Have Used Marijuana:

Lifetime 30.4% 34.1% 39.8% 42.3% 39.6% 40.9% 40.3%

Past Year 25.2 28.7 33.6 34.8 31.1 32.1 32.2

Past Month 15.8 17.2 20.4 20.5 18.7 19.4 19.7

Daily 2.2 2.8 3.5 3.7 3.6 3.8 3.8

Lifetime 40.1% 38.7% 36.4% 35.1% 34.1% 31.8% 31.0%

Past Year 32.7 30.3 28.2 27.5 26.6 25.2 24.6

Past Month 19.8 17.8 17.0 15.9 15.2 14.2 14.2

Daily 4.5 3.9 3.6 3.2 3.1 2.8 2.8

Percentage of 12th-Graders Who Have Used Marijuana

Lifetime 38.2% 41.7% 44.9% 49.6% 49.1% 49.7% 48.8%

Past Year 30.7 34.7 35.8 38.5 37.5 37.8 36.5

Past Month 19.0 21.2 21.9 23.7 22.8 23.1 21.6

Daily 3.6 4.6 4.9 5.8 5.6 6.0 6.0

Lifetime 49.0% 47.8% 46.1% 45.7% 44.8% 42.3% 41.8%

Past Year 37.0 36.2 34.9 34.3 33.6 31.5 31.7

Past Month 22.4 21.5 21.2 19.9 19.8 18.3 18.8

Daily 5.8 6.0 6.0 5.6 5.0 5.0 5.1

Here

do not smoke do not drink but i love my volcano.

Fantastic explanation, beats the hel_l out of mine, " makes you high ,eat like a horse and laugh your guts out at anything " ! :)

As I smoke weed for a prolapse disc and I drink alcohol for pleasure, I feel neither is bad for you if kept under control.

I do feel it is the person and not the substance in these two cases. Neither are instantly addictive and their use is easy enough to control in the majority of cases by anyone with some will power.

Correct, its the "addictive personality " that is the problem ,.those with it will abuse anything they can use,.

Maybe the world would be a better place with no drugs (alcohol & cigs included) but they are still in demand.

Why not legalize all drugs, lowering the price and putting the International drug gangs out of business? Governments could earn substantial tax revenues and earmark a portion for rehabilitation programs. How much time and effort is wasted on "Drug Wars?"

Maybe legalizing drugs would cause too many people in the "prevention" business to be unemployed... :)

I agree.

Anybody remember prohibition in the USA. Didn't stop people from drinking but sure made a lot of money and created powerful crime syndicates like the drug cartels we now have all over the world.