School ~ Regina Cheri ~ Homework

sk1max

My daughter has just started P1 at Regina, she finished Anubaan 3 there and all was fine, but now she's buried under a mountain of homework, it's a struggle to keep up as the kids must make a note of the H/W given by each teacher, if the child isn't fast enough the teacher erases the notes off the board and is gone. Then chastises the parents and child for not doing the homework. Anyone with similar experiences?

Also, my daughter is almost fluent in spoken English (for a 6 year old anyway) and was told she must do better after failing the ' Written English Test' I wonder if the teachers are on the same planet as the rest of us.

have you tried taking it up with the school perhaps?

Yes, we spoke to her room teacher, who is worried about offending other teachers if she complains/critisizes them. I quess by asking them to take it easy on the kids is seen as an insult and just won't do. Unlike in Anubaan where they have one main teacher who supervised everything, the P1 class room has all the 4 P1 teachers rotating, they all seem to be in a rush to get through the material.

My daughter has just started P1 at Regina, she finished Anubaan 3 there and all was fine, but now she's buried under a mountain of homework, it's a struggle to keep up as the kids must make a note of the H/W given by each teacher, if the child isn't fast enough the teacher erases the notes off the board and is gone. Then chastises the parents and child for not doing the homework. Anyone with similar experiences?

Also, my daughter is almost fluent in spoken English (for a 6 year old anyway) and was told she must do better after failing the ' Written English Test' I wonder if the teachers are on the same planet as the rest of us.

If you understood the problems from working in a Thai school as a teacher or as an Admin. you might feel a bit better, because you can understand and appreciate the many difficulties. If you have any suggestions and are willing to donate some of your labor as a classroom aide, I'm sure you would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Ajarn

If you understood the problems from working in a Thai school as a teacher or as an Admin. you might feel a bit better, because you can understand and appreciate the many difficulties. If you have any suggestions and are willing to donate some of your labor as a classroom aide, I'm sure you would be greatly appreciated :)

Suggestion: Leave the note of the H/W on the board at the end of class and don't erase it until all the students have made a note of it. Simple.

Educate me, if you think I don't understand. How hard is it to realise that 45 6 year old girls might not all be as capaple as each other, I have taught in a Thai, so I can appreciate the problems faced by Thai teachers. I realise that, in all likelyhood, nothing will change. Looking for a sympathetic ear, that's all.

You say that your daughter is almost fluent in SPOKEN English and failed the WRITTEN English test. Apples and oranges. A very understandable situation. She has difficulty

1. writing English for tests

2. writing to log homework assignments (if she can not do this she should get the assignments from a classmate)

3. writing her homework

So she needs prompt competent help with writing. How is her reading? Got to be able to read well before she can write well. Read a lot and writing is easy. Read with her everyday 30 minutes in the afternoon and 30 minutes before lights out or something like that, read things that are interesting for her. You read some, she reads some. Have everyone in the house read as an example. I know a house of readers and the 18 month old child is regularly bringing books to people because he knows there must be something good inside. Shut off all the screens and everybody read, do your screens when she is at school or asleep.

Why don't you ask other parents with children in your child's class to find out if many of the kids in the class are having similar problems? If so, get the parents together and meet with the school. They are more likely to respond to a group of parents.

Edit: Reading your post made when I typed, sorry I bothered since all you wanted was a sympathetic ear. I thought you might want do something other than complain irrationally, like get off your screen and help your daughter.

What planet are you from?

Edited by Bill97

I'm sympathetic. To me, those are all signs of a problematic school: too much homework for small children, 46:1 ratio, a teacher who isn't willing to help, blaming students and parents for not trying hard enough. Not saying Thai schools or teachers are bad etc etc, but that they tend to be inflexible. Sometimes bilingual and bicultural kids need an environment where they can learn at their own pace, particularly in the early years. You might want to shop around.

What's hard for me to come to terms with is we are talking about a a 6 year old. I decided that Thai would be her first language, hence I the Thai school. I am quite pleased with the school, especially the environment created by the school, the kids seem very happy & well adjusted. The unrealistic workload, is another matter. I am not in a position to send her to an International School, even if I had the resources, I'm not sure I would send her to one.

I do appreciate the time people have taken to reply, thanks.

Sorry, but I can't really understand an empty advice of a teacher, saying that 'next time you need to do better', after the child/person have failed a test. Is such a remark not very demotivating for the child?

Wouldn't it be much more stimulating for a child that a teacher first praises the child for doing his/her best on the test and then point out to both child and parents (but also to him or herself!) which area's need more attention in order for the child to succeed for the next test/s?

I feel the teacher is strongly lacking here, based on what the OP has written.

edit: Oh, just read sk1max's last post. I suppose I'm too western in my reaction? Don't really know Regina's. Didn't know it's a Thai school.

Edited by Nienke

Sorry, but I can't really understand an empty advice of a teacher, saying that 'next time you need to do better', after the child/person have failed a test. Is such a remark not very demotivating for the child?

Wouldn't it be much more stimulating for a child that a teacher first praises the child for doing his/her best on the test and then point out to both child and parents (but also to him or herself!) which area's need more attention in order for the child to succeed for the next test/s?

I feel the teacher is strongly lacking here, based on what the OP has written.

I don't want to bash Thai teachers BUT they do use the word 'stupid' far to frequently. Lack of modern training methods, harsh working conditions and inflated egos may be part of the problem. Strongly lacking, nicely put.

You might find to a certain extent that it the fault of the syllabus too. Thai teachers will have to be following what they are given to do. Having an enormous amount of holidays can often exacerbate this too.

To a certain extent, note taking during class is mostly a waste of time especially if done in a hurry. Maybe suggest that notes could at least partially be handed out and kept in a folder etc.

Regina like other Thai schools will have PTA meetings, I am sure if you bring this up with other parents, you can put your point across and make more of an impact.

What's hard for me to come to terms with is we are talking about a a 6 year old. I decided that Thai would be her first language, hence I the Thai school. I am quite pleased with the school, especially the environment created by the school, the kids seem very happy & well adjusted. The unrealistic workload, is another matter. I am not in a position to send her to an International School, even if I had the resources, I'm not sure I would send her to one.

What is hard for you to come to terms with is that you as a parent are largely responsible for your child's education and that you must accept and act on that responsibility and do so continuously for many years. It is a long rough road and you are the driver. If you continue to blame it on the teachers or the school, you will have failed and your child will get that irresponsible attitude from you and likely fail too. You chose the school, make it work for your child. Even the very best schools have problems with teachers and administration.

You talk about the unrealistic work load but provide no evidence outside your one child that it is true. Regina has been around for a long time and has had a lot of students and if the workload was unreasonably heavy, that would not be the case. You say the kids there are happy and well adjusted which would not be true if the workload was unreasonably heavy. Fix your problems of and your daughters writing and stop blaming them on others.

What you are facing now is very minor compared to what you will be facing in 8-10 years.

What is hard for you to come to terms with is that you as a parent are largely responsible for your child's education and that you must accept and act on that responsibility and do so continuously for many years. It is a long rough road and you are the driver. If you continue to blame it on the teachers or the school, you will have failed and your child will get that irresponsible attitude from you and likely fail too. You chose the school, make it work for your child. Even the very best schools have problems with teachers and administration.

You talk about the unrealistic work load but provide no evidence outside your one child that it is true. Regina has been around for a long time and has had a lot of students and if the workload was unreasonably heavy, that would not be the case. You say the kids there are happy and well adjusted which would not be true if the workload was unreasonably heavy. Fix your problems of and your daughters writing and stop blaming them on others.

What you are facing now is very minor compared to what you will be facing in 8-10 years.

Appreciate your comments, although extremely uniformed and self serving, Thai teacher maybe. If you read my comments, looking for similar experiences, not sarcastic, unhelpful drivel.

A 'sympathetic' Thai parent would do all of the homework for their child while darling Somchai watches cartoons.

I have sympathy for the OP. Thai kids are overworked. Their little backpacks often weigh as much as them and now many schools are pushing after school and weekend classes as well.

Edited by Loaded

The backpacks of my little Thai students are full of toys, kanom and no notebooks, as they are all forgotten at home.

My advice to the OP is to buy the idiot Thai teacher a small gift and with a big broad stupid smile, tell the teacher thanks for being your daughter's teacher, but to pretty please realize she is only 6, as the other 45 students and show the kids some dignity and compassion by adding another 5 minutes to their rote teaching so the little tykes can write.

The issue of face is huge in Thailand. I had one teacher just this week (Thai teaching Engrish) coming behind me, repeating my pronunciations wrongly. Though I wanted to slap her silly, I bit my tongue, laughed, asked her to help me outside the classroom door and told her that she was not pronouncing correctly. We both laughed and all was ok.

Smile, with your daughter in mind.

The backpacks of my little Thai students are full of toys, kanom and no notebooks, as they are all forgotten at home.

My advice to the OP is to buy the idiot Thai teacher a small gift and with a big broad stupid smile, tell the teacher thanks for being your daughter's teacher, but to pretty please realize she is only 6, as the other 45 students and show the kids some dignity and compassion by adding another 5 minutes to their rote teaching so the little tykes can write.

The issue of face is huge in Thailand. I had one teacher just this week (Thai teaching Engrish) coming behind me, repeating my pronunciations wrongly. Though I wanted to slap her silly, I bit my tongue, laughed, asked her to help me outside the classroom door and told her that she was not pronouncing correctly. We both laughed and all was ok.

THANKYOU!

Edited by sk1max

I have sympathy for the OP. Thai kids are overworked. Their little backpacks often weigh as much as them and now many schools are pushing after school and weekend classes as well.

This is one of the things I find troubling about Thai schools and one of the few things me and the wife argue about. My 5 year old gets a lot of homework from his school and my wife is constantly being asked by the school if he wants after school classes or Saturday school, it seems to me just a scam to bring more money into the school rather than improving my child's education.

I had no interest in school as youngster and the greatest teacher in the world could not have made me interested. Luckily for me, I was such a compulsive reader - of everything and anything - that I ended up the equal of most other students when I finally decided to apply myself.

You can't always blame the teacher.

Whichever country, school system or language we are talking about, 45 children in a grade 1 class, that is simply insane. At that age, the maximum a teacher can reasonably work with is 25, maybe 30 if their knowledge and skills are more level.

I would run away and find a school with smaller class sizes, where the teachers have time to listen to and teach every single kid.

Whichever country, school system or language we are talking about, 45 children in a grade 1 class, that is simply insane. At that age, the maximum a teacher can reasonably work with is 25, maybe 30 if their knowledge and skills are more level.

I would run away and find a school with smaller class sizes, where the teachers have time to listen to and teach every single kid.

Especially if the parents are bringing students who have not learned a thing! That number is insane!

Not sure about the student's ability, but written output in Grade 1 classes is very limited. It would be nice to know what is the specific issue with her writing. Looks like she might be slow or she might need glasses, perhaps! Not sure!

I must admit that I don't know anything about Regina but if this teacher is representative of the majority of the staff--I should move your daughter to another school--there are many good schools, with caring teachers, in Chiang Mai.

"Smile with your daughter in mind". Very good words. I agree somtamnication. I think this is really good advice. I have witnessed different situations where a westerner has been very critical and times even angry/irate only to have the barriers shut down on them. Its hard, especially when frustrated, but it doesnt solve anything. Sugar-coating something you have a problem with and handling it in a nice way, usually works much better. Often its not what you have to say, but how you go about saying it.

As for your daughters homework overload sk1max, I have noticed my boyfriends kids have absolutely tons. They are far from your kids age though, as they are teenagers, but still, im often shocked by the amount. They attend Yuparat which is a Thai school. They also have extra classes after school, such as the English club (but they do want to go there). So often their heads are buried in books. What was really sad recently was when my bfs eldest daughter returned from studies in Australia. The plan initially was she would remain there until she finished high school, but unfortunately with the economic situation, that was no longer feasible as the fees became too much. Because Yuparat uses a different system, and a lot more classes than her school in Australia, she failed a couple of the re-entry exams. So..she has to learn those subjects, or face having to stay behind. They would not budge in this, and as Yuparat is a good school, and she wants to go there, she has her work cut out for her. Im actually worried about her facing so much stress and worry.

People talk of Thai schools not being very good, i dont know how much of that is true. But, it seems to me, that the 'good' schools, seem to put a lot of pressure on the kids to do well, with no leeway.

Well..anyway..none of that really helps out with your situation Sk1max. Just thought i would share my own small experience of kids and homework here. Good luck with sorting things out.

Edited by eek

Educate me, if you think I don't understand. How hard is it to realise that 45 6 year old girls might not all be as capaple as each other, I have taught in a Thai, so I can appreciate the problems faced by Thai teachers. I realise that, in all likelyhood, nothing will change. Looking for a sympathetic ear, that's all.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out. As others have pointed out 45 is IMO double what a class size should be. There's no way a teacher will have the time for all. Find an alternative school with a higher teacher/pupil ratio and be prepared to help out more with her difficulties at home maybe.

regards Bojo

My daughter gets tons of home work also but she seems to keep up with it very well. My eight year old studies in a strictly Thai program, we had her in a different school a few years ago that was bilingual but they were more interested in converting her than educating her. I agree the homework is a lot for sure as much as I got in high school at times but knowledge has quadrupled since I was in high school and there is so much more to know. What really gets me is when the teachers send the children home with a project which requires going shopping to get the materials to complete it and it is due the next day.