Getting A Towbar Fitted To A Car?

pagallim

I've concluded negotiations for buying a boat that I was interested in (see separate thread 'Buying a Boat)', now I need to get a towbar and electric plug connection for my Toyota Fortuner, and am obviously looking for a suitable vendor. Anyone have good or bad experiences with this? I've probably got a couple of weeks before I need to use it in anger, and would welcome the usual melting pot of comments/suggestions?

I've concluded negotiations for buying a boat that I was interested in (see separate thread 'Buying a Boat)', now I need to get a towbar and electric plug connection for my Toyota Fortuner, and am obviously looking for a suitable vendor. Anyone have good or bad experiences with this? I've probably got a couple of weeks before I need to use it in anger, and would welcome the usual melting pot of comments/suggestions?
I guess I could help you but then again you to far away from our place we do make trailers and also tow-bars and do electrical fittings but we are in central Thailand :)

I guess I could help you but then again you to far away from our place we do make trailers and also tow-bars and do electrical fittings but we are in central Thailand :)

Thanks for the offer Fred, however I've also ordered separately a new trailer already. Just need to get the towbar locally, and the electric socket outlet for the trailer lights/brakes/indicators etc. Towing isn't particularly usual here, so maybe more difficult than I'd anticipated in getting the desired result. Even my Toyota garage people gave me a few blank looks.

I know how you feel, sorry can't help you with that

VVP 4x4 center BKK has towbars for Fortuner. Different design for standard rear bumper and Smart bumper/spoiler. Very easy to bolt on frame.

02 721 316 1-5. [email protected]

Be aware of the difference between 50mm ball and 2 inch ball. Compare with your trailer.

I strongly recommend to increase oil cooling for auto, which Toyota can do by adding one more standard cooler.

If you cant find electric connectors for rear lights, let me know and I ll have a search in my garage. Euro connectors. Wiring on Fortuner done in 30 minutes.

There is a 4 wheel repair shop on the road connecting Chao Fah East with Chao Fah west, I think it is the second one after Wat Chalong going towards Phuket town. Easy to find as there are a few monster trucks parked along the road, he does excelent welding and wiring, I got a hitch and 2" ball properly fitted to a Isuzu. 3000B

next time by i will get his phone number for you.

There is a 4 wheel repair shop on the road connecting Chao Fah East with Chao Fah west, I think it is the second one after Wat Chalong going towards Phuket town. Easy to find as there are a few monster trucks parked along the road, he does excelent welding and wiring, I got a hitch and 2" ball properly fitted to a Isuzu. 3000B

next time by i will get his phone number for you.

Excellent, thanks. I live quite close to there, so will have a cruise round myself over the next couple of days. Good advice from Katabeachbum also, re 2'' or 50 mm sizing. Will check that out with the supplier of the trailer on Monday.

Has anyone mentioned the legal issues with trailors.. I heard they required licenses and inspections and other hassles..

Inspection, book, tax.

Driving in Phuket seems to be no problem, but would prefer legal docs in case of accident

Edit: should have the trailer reg by supplyer

Edited by katabeachbum

Has anyone mentioned the legal issues with trailors.. I heard they required licenses and inspections and other hassles..

Yup, I've heard that too. However (and don't quote me), it only becomes an issue if you take it outside Phuket (i.e. through the Sarasin checkpoint). That's where registration of trailer etc becomes an issue. For me, within Phuket, proof of purchase (bill of receipt etc, coupled with appropriately amended insurance documentation will suffice).

Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions. Actually had the towbar fitted today. A purpose made unit for my Fortuner. It bolts into the chassis, either side of the underslung spare wheel, and has a removable towing ball so the protusion is minimal. If anyone wants further information, PM me.