True Hi-speed Internet

paul1970

True have been running new cables over on the Darkside for their new Hi-speed service with packages available up to 8Mbps, currently I believe that Soi Khao Talo and Soi Khao Noi have been wired up and that Soi Nernplubwaan should be completed by the end of the month.

I went to their office to enquire about the service and they assured me these speeds are available internationally as well as just locally which really got me excited so I have signed up for the top 8Mpbs package.

So my question is has anyone had this installed on the Darkside or Brightside yet ? and if so is the service living up to it's claims ?

True have been running new cables over on the Darkside for their new Hi-speed service with packages available up to 8Mbps, currently I believe that Soi Khao Talo and Soi Khao Noi have been wired up and that Soi Nernplubwaan should be completed by the end of the month.

I went to their office to enquire about the service and they assured me these speeds are available internationally as well as just locally which really got me excited so I have signed up for the top 8Mpbs package.

So my question is has anyone had this installed on the Darkside or Brightside yet ? and if so is the service living up to it's claims ?

Can you please inform about th conditions of the contract.

If you have followed the forums on various internet providers over the past few years, I think you will find that True has by far the worst press. (I'm talking Bangkok as well as Pattaya)

Don't forget this is the same company that treats it's TV cable/satellite customers with such contempt.

I hope I am wrong, by my advice is to stay well away from it until it has been tried and tested for a period of time - at least a year.

I bet they are lying about the connection speeds, too.

Certainly Maxnet do, I was paying just over 1000 baht for a supposed 5mb but never got it so I drop to the 3mb package at 600 baht and although I don't get the full speed I feel better about saving a bit of cash :)

Certainly Maxnet do, I was paying just over 1000 baht for a supposed 5mb but never got it so I drop to the 3mb package at 600 baht and although I don't get the full speed I feel better about saving a bit of cash :)

Maxnet is not lying about speeds!

The big print on their promo material AND on their invoice will state clearly "up to X Mbps"

Additionally (although in smaller print) all their promo material on the Indy package clearly states that this package is best suited for surfing Thai websites, and that a lot of protocols such as P2P, torrents, VOIP etc, are not guaranteed or have limited bandwidth available on this package.

I pay 1,090 for TT@T Maxnet Premier package, up to 2 MB.

Using Speedtest.net, this morning, I got:

Bangkok;2.59/.042 (Download/Upload)

San Francisco 1.88/0.34 ;

London: 2.49/0.21

New York; 0.98//0.17

Washington: 2.02/0.19.

Not bad for 1000 odd Baht/month, and since I switched to open DNS, as steady as a rock.

Especially compared to that IPStar shit, which was extremely unstable, and best gave me 0.200 download speed, for 4,400 Baht/month.

Can anyone explain why I get such a diversity of speeds from different global servers? Why is New York only 0.98 D/L and Washington 2.02 D/L?

I also have TT@T maxnet 2mb premier service @ 1090 per month.

This morning my speeds also using speedtest were

Bangkok 1.83 / 0.64 down/up

Los Angeles 2.22 / 0.26

London 0.08 / 0.28

Frankfurt 0.98 / 0.35

As I use connections to the UK most of the time I would be very interested to know why the UK speeds in my case are so slow.

This started about 1 week ago. Up till then similar readings to Bangkok down but slower up.

I also have TT@T maxnet 2mb premier service @ 1090 per month.

This morning my speeds also using speedtest were

Bangkok 1.83 / 0.64 down/up

Los Angeles 2.22 / 0.26

London 0.08 / 0.28

Frankfurt 0.98 / 0.35

As I use connections to the UK most of the time I would be very interested to know why the UK speeds in my case are so slow.

This started about 1 week ago. Up till then similar readings to Bangkok down but slower up.

Rather strange. Europe always is the slowest, especially concerning latency (high ping times), but for me it's not as pronounced as for you.

I'm still getting 700 kbps from London.

500549573.png

One reason is that most traffic to Europe gets routed over the US, which is obviously a huge detour compared to routing it over the Middle East for example...

Can anyone explain why I get such a diversity of speeds from different global servers? Why is New York only 0.98 D/L and Washington 2.02 D/L?

I guess the servers themselves. They might be overloaded etc...

One case in point, when you test from London using speedtest.net, you'll test from servers owned by names.co.uk

Speedtest reports a latency of over 600 msec (see my post above), yet when I do a ping directly to their server I get results in the low 300 msec.

Which to me indicates that the particular server which serves the speed test file is highly loaded and is queuing requests, which usually also results in slower transfer speeds...

Pinging names.co.uk [85.233.160.220] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 85.233.160.220: bytes=32 time=337ms TTL=42

Reply from 85.233.160.220: bytes=32 time=336ms TTL=42

Reply from 85.233.160.220: bytes=32 time=334ms TTL=42

Reply from 85.233.160.220: bytes=32 time=329ms TTL=42

Ping statistics for 85.233.160.220:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 329ms, Maximum = 337ms, Average = 334ms

More details can be found at

http://www.truecorp.co.th/eng/promotion/pr...ispeed8mbps.jsp

but basically as I already have UBC I can get the 8Mbps package which includes a 2Mbps wireless package with apparantly 400 wireless access points around Pattaya for 1199 baht/month.

More details can be found at

http://www.truecorp.co.th/eng/promotion/pr...ispeed8mbps.jsp

but basically as I already have UBC I can get the 8Mbps package which includes a 2Mbps wireless package with apparantly 400 wireless access points around Pattaya for 1199 baht/month.

Paul, I sincerely hope that you'll get what you're going to pay for; or, at least, something that is consistently over half of that. Let's face it, 4Mbps would be FANTASTIC here! I hope you'll keep us updated on your connection, and the performance.

For a typical residential installation, can anyone explain to me why 4Mpbs (I assume this stands for 4 megabit per second) much less 8 Mpbs would be necessary. The only possible application I could envision needing this kind of bandwidth would be for streaming HD video (and I would imagine that most of these movie or TV streaming services that are based in Europe or USA would not even be available to Thai based ISP addresses).

I have found B-TV's 2Mg cable internet service (resale of CAT's Maxnet service through their own cable lines so I'm informed) to be perfectly acceptable for anything I do...mainly net surfing and torrent downloads. Connection is really solid and speeds are almost always in the 200-225 kB/s range. Price was just recently dropped from B 1990 per month to B 1500. I can stream news video feeds, You-tube, and other vids with no problem. I have torrent-downloaded close to 2 TB of data (movies, TV series, music) over the past 6 months (so much I almost feel guilty...maybe US$ 8-10k worth of content...anyone want all 6 seasons of The Rockford Files, all 153 episodes of The Twilight Zone, or all 9 seasons of The X-Files plus the movies...I've got'em :) ).

Of course, for torrents, DL speeds depend on both your bandwith and the seed/leecher ratio of the particular torrent...but on a good file, SD video movies or TV will DL in about half the run-time of the video itself, e.g., 1 hour show DLs in 30 minutes. Audio files much quicker...1 hour in maybe 8-10 mins. I really can't see needing any faster speeds for my purposes...I can already DL much more material than I can ever listen to or watch. Continued price drops will be nice, however.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

but on a good file, SD video movies or TV will DL in about half the run-time of the video itself, e.g., 1 hour show DLs in 30 minutes. Audio files much quicker...1 hour in maybe 8-10 mins. I really can't see needing any faster speeds for my purposes...I can already DL much more material than I can ever listen to or watch. Continued price drops will be nice, however.

because i want my shit now! 1 show in 15 minutes. 1 album in 1 minute! but for serious, i do a boatload of FTP uploads and downloads. My main drop server back home is 1Gb/sec, uncapped to .co.th. design files are incredibly tedious. with that being said, i get my work done no problem with my 2Mb line (221KB/s, reliably). which is why i would upgrade to 8Mb in a heartbeat if i had any inkling it was legit. i'm at the point right now where, i have a steady line, predictable, i can work with it. changing it gives me nightmares of the experience it could turn out to be...

but on a good file, SD video movies or TV will DL in about half the run-time of the video itself, e.g., 1 hour show DLs in 30 minutes. Audio files much quicker...1 hour in maybe 8-10 mins.

i do a boatload of FTP uploads and downloads. My main drop server back home is 1Gb/sec, uncapped to .co.th. design files are incredibly tedious.

Are these transfers work related? In such a situation, I can understanding wanting and needing the fastest and most stable connections...I was more speaking about non-work residential uses of the net. I have a friend who manages a bunch of USA based servers remotely for work here in Pattaya and he has triple redundancy in his connections...a CAT and TOT DSL lines nad in case everything goes belly-up AIS GPRS/EDGE :)

but on a good file, SD video movies or TV will DL in about half the run-time of the video itself, e.g., 1 hour show DLs in 30 minutes. Audio files much quicker...1 hour in maybe 8-10 mins.

i do a boatload of FTP uploads and downloads. My main drop server back home is 1Gb/sec, uncapped to .co.th. design files are incredibly tedious.

Are these transfers work related? In such a situation, I can understanding wanting and needing the fastest and most stable connections...I was more speaking about non-work residential uses of the net. I have a friend who manages a bunch of USA based servers remotely for work here in Pattaya and he has triple redundancy in his connections...a CAT and TOT DSL lines nad in case everything goes belly-up AIS GPRS/EDGE :D

ah yes, sorry about that. i actually use my residential connection for business. even remote server access doesn't require more than 2Mb unless again, you are pushing/pulling files from TH<->US. however, i do have a TOT dsl line. worst case scenario is AIS through my Nokia or Starbucks :)

I got the True 8Mb in BKK. It works like all other packages i tried in Thailand. I just changed from a 3000 Baht/month SME package to this one. It all depends on the total traffic amount at the current time you try it. Ping speed to Europe varies between 280ms - 400ms. Normal downloads varies from 20KB/s to 100KB/s. Some torrents reach 600-700KB/s.

I rent an office in a prestigious service office in Bangkok. They claim to have the best connection money can buy. Well, it's just the same shit. Im still looking forward to the day I can stream TV from my home country with decent quality.