Toyota Vios Vs Honda City

Ok, ok, they sold more Hondas last month.

What will you say if Toyota retakes it's top spot by the end of the year?

Single most important tool would be finance. Low down /Low interest. But Toyota dont usually go there, and thats why they are top notch secondhand.

Incorrect. both Toyota and Honda are offering similar finance deals. It depends on the tie-up with the particular finance company or bank, but there are 15% down deals (need two Thai co-signers), 25% down, (no co-signers needed) etc...

Both are toe to toe now on finance terms.

Yes, now they are offering same finance, which is normal interest and 15-25 down. Unlike some others (Mazda, Ford, Nissan, BMW, MB etc).

What I was trying to say, is that if Toyota want to catch up with Honda by year end one way to do so would be to sponsor finance interest. Like some others do.

My personal preference is Honda. Toyota gives people the impression that you are old. Honda still have the youth feeling

Maybe that's the answer to Toyota slump - their customers are not out shopping at the moment and feel apprehensive while Hondas customers are a more daring bunch.

Whatever it is, growth in the times of crisis is a fluke, it cannot be sustained once the conditions return to normal.

And if Toyota manages to come back by selling leather seats, xenon lights, and offering better financing terms, then the whole point of using sale figures to compare car quality is irrelevant.

It is true that they should upgrade their engines and transmissions, though. Maybe new 2l Altis will phase out ten year old engine in 1.8 version, maybe we'll see it's new transmission adopted in lower grades, too, down to Yaris/Vios. Or maybe those improvements are unnecessary for mass market and will stay reserved for top of the line models.

Remember turbo Vios with 7sec 0-100 and manual transmission? They couldn't sell even one hundred of those. Or Honda plans to build TypeR here? They couldn't guarantee sales of 100 units per month in whole of Asean + Australia and NZ, so it was dropped.

People in this part of the world apparently don't value speed and advanced racing technology. Xenon headlights mean a lot more to them, apparently.

Oh, I remembers Honda RX here - with big red "R", not quite the typeR, as they glued the badge on 1.7l version and only added sideskirts, but that's all that was needed for the local market to appear as "fun" and "youth". Still works like a charm.

Edited by Plus

• 3 weeks later...

Honda has picked up a lot recently. Compare to Toyota. Civic and City both have 5 speed auto from the specs, but altis and vios, only 4 speed auto, city has 120hp while vios 109. Fuel economy should be around the same, I think you should really go for a test drive on both before you decide, for me I will choose city because 5 speed auto, high hp, new engine. Vios instrument dials is at the ceter which I think is not practical and looks stupid for sedan car.

Edited by Cobrabiker

"I don't believe that the Toyota Vios is the closest competitor for the City. I would choose the City over the Vios without needing much time to consider. More room, better specification, better functionality, and a nicer design, an extra gear, reclining rear seats, larger boot, more power, nicer radio, etc."

http://bkkautos.com/2009-Honda-City-Test-Drive-Report

"I don't believe that the Toyota Vios is the closest competitor for the City. I would choose the City over the Vios without needing much time to consider. More room, better specification, better functionality, and a nicer design, an extra gear, reclining rear seats, larger boot, more power, nicer radio, etc."

http://bkkautos.com/2009-Honda-City-Test-Drive-Report

I think you might need to look at the specs a little closer. The Vios and City has the exact same engine, and standard equipment. I have driven them both, and opted for the Vios.

Barry

The specification and standard equipment in the City is different to the Vios. I bought the SV model city for my wife in December and it has paddle shift, 5 speed auto, ipod connection, front and rear disc brakes 16 inch alloys and 11 bhp more than the Vios. On the other hand, the Vios has leather but it has rear drum brakes, 15 inch alloys, no paddle shift, 4 speed auto and no ipod connection.

I think the Vios is a good reliable car which was much better than the old City. The car reviews seem to agree that the new Honda City is a better car than the Vios. Check out the reviews in the Bangkok Post.

I wasn't aware of the Ipod connection. The thing about the Honda City I didn't like was the air con didn't seem to flow as good as the Vios, and the ride didn't seem to be as good. I haven't driven the New Honda City though, so things could have improved greatly.

Barry

I do not know how reliable are honda cars, but they are at least willing to invest more and are more advanced in technology compare to toyota, apple to apple. The city is even better than the higher level, Altis, as Altis only has up to 4 spd auto, even the 2.0L camry, also 4 speed, shy on them. It's time for Toyota to buckle up before Honda overtake them.

I do not know how reliable are honda cars, but they are at least willing to invest more and are more advanced in technology compare to toyota, apple to apple. The city is even better than the higher level, Altis, as Altis only has up to 4 spd auto, even the 2.0L camry, also 4 speed, shy on them. It's time for Toyota to buckle up before Honda overtake them.

Its really time for Toyota to buckle up, cause Honda has overtaken them. Honda has now 20-25% higher car sales in LOS than Toyota.

I believe Hondas higher spec and better handling is selling.

Toyota Camry was Americas most reliable car for years. Until 2006. Its been Honda Accord since

I am picking up my new City on Thursday. I had the dealer do a few not so expensive modifications to make it look really nice, wheels and skirting.

I'll try to post some pics by next weekend.

There is mostly a waiting list of 3 months or so, but I was lucky to get one in one month as it was in inventory in Bangkok. It seems all the dealers somehow share some kind of central inventory?

Well, in June Toyota outsold Honda again.

I guess it's Honda now who should buckle up.

Really? Havent seen the numbers yet. What are they, for cars only of course?

The only way Honda can buckle up is to increase production. 4 months to wait for any Honda car makes buyers go to Toyota.

It was an article based on the interview with Toyota executive, but I don't remember who mentioned the "back on top" line. Probably it was the reporter.

I'm pretty sure it was for cars only, because if counting with pickups, Honda has never overtook Toyota in the first place.

But let's wait for official numbers (compiled by Toyota and Isuzu, btw).

• 3 months later...

City is a bit more expensive than the Vios for most levels, but City has a few features that won me over: big trunk (for carrying customers' luggages), USB MP3 player hook up (versus the cumbersome alternatives (CDs), the blue is a richer, metallic blue (although I am 100% sure), more pockets and I like the umbrella holder down at the bottom of the rear seat (again for business and practicality). I also think the City has a full-sized spare tire. And, it looks like oil and filter change is REALLY the easiest thing one can do on the city, but more difficult on the Vios.

Edited by rethaired

ABS coming as standard now on the 2010 basic City models - 534,000 baht.

Just ordered form Honda Hua Hin, 2 - 3 months waiting though :D . No freebies or discounts other than the Honda 1st class insurance for a mere 2,000 baht. Couldn't resist the Mugen body kit mind :) .