Pattaya Has Bit The Dust

jackh

As a regular visitor to Thailand, I enjoy the fact that I know my visit there is a temporary one. I started coming to Thailand in the mid 90's and always come away with fond memories and experiences. I usually come 2 times a year and know my way around quite well. I'm not a sex tourist, but admittedly enjoy the nightlife as part of my visits.

However, year by year, Thailand has degraded into a place of danger, rip offs, and very rude behavior more often than not. It is a shame to see it go this way. Pattaya stands out as the nastiest place to spend time or money. Phuket is running a close second. I give Thailand no more than 5 years before it will be a distant memory as a tourist destination. I had plans to retire in Thailand some years ago, but opted instead to go to China. That was one of the smarter moves I made in my life. While no place is without it's faults, at least China is still a bargin where gangbangers and serious crime is not put up with. And not to mention that foriegners are very well liked and treated. While I still go to Thailand often, especially being so close now, I wouldn't spend a minute in Pattaya now. I am sorry for all you expats that are more or less stuck there. Now besides having a housemaid, you all need bodyguards to keep from being killed off. I don't know how you guys function knowing the Thais sees the foriegner as an invader and it's open season for them to rip you off or beat you to death for a few baht. Might as well retire in East LA for God's sake.

Anyway I do wish you guys good luck and may I suggest you figure out a way to organize the expat community and deal with all this BS as a group. The Thais should know if they mess with you, there will be payback. That is about the only thing they understand.

As a regular visitor to Thailand, I enjoy the fact that I know my visit there is a temporary one. I started coming to Thailand in the mid 90's and always come away with fond memories and experiences. I usually come 2 times a year and know my way around quite well. I'm not a sex tourist, but admittedly enjoy the nightlife as part of my visits.

However, year by year, Thailand has degraded into a place of danger, rip offs, and very rude behavior more often than not. It is a shame to see it go this way. Pattaya stands out as the nastiest place to spend time or money. Phuket is running a close second. I give Thailand no more than 5 years before it will be a distant memory as a tourist destination. I had plans to retire in Thailand some years ago, but opted instead to go to China. That was one of the smarter moves I made in my life. While no place is without it's faults, at least China is still a bargin where gangbangers and serious crime is not put up with. And not to mention that foriegners are very well liked and treated. While I still go to Thailand often, especially being so close now, I wouldn't spend a minute in Pattaya now. I am sorry for all you expats that are more or less stuck there. Now besides having a housemaid, you all need bodyguards to keep from being killed off. I don't know how you guys function knowing the Thais sees the foriegner as an invader and it's open season for them to rip you off or beat you to death for a few baht. Might as well retire in East LA for God's sake.

Anyway I do wish you guys good luck and may I suggest you figure out a way to organize the expat community and deal with all this BS as a group. The Thais should know if they mess with you, there will be payback. That is about the only thing they understand.

You make Pattaya sound terrible, its not as bad as you make out. I have lived here for 8 years now, and I do think it was better a few years back, but its ok, better than my home Country that's for sure.

Welcome to Thai Visa by the way !!!!

I don't even see any reality in what you are saying. If anything, Thailand is better than it was 20 years ago when I first settled here and I am almost never afraid of violence as I was in my own country.

I visit Bangkok and Pattaya often and have no problem there either.

One thing is, I guess that Thailand attracts a lot of wackos - or maybe it is the internet - because there certainly seem to be those that agree with you. :)

its not that bad, the thais in pattaya are overly obsessed with money but thats because they cant comprehend that you can make money from money so they spend it and farang are the only source for new supplies, they dont resort to violence much but for sure once your money has changed hands the deal is finished and if you dont get change or service from it you cant complain, but they dont want much, just enough for a couple of yaba pills usually

Well what can I say came to Pattaya 3 years ago from UK I have only been robbed eight times by topless go go dancers in Tesco's carpark it happened last week on friday again on saturday and three times on sunday I am going back again today to see if there still there.

If feel so bad about the place being so awful why bother to still visit & why keep reading Thai Visa forum. Why not try the China Visa Forum probably is'nt one. I tell you why because this is the best & so is Thailand you must have visited some real dodgy places. If dare visit again try the dark side we are nice folk over there.

I surprised you TV regulars are taking this guy seriously...and posting replies. When someone posts an initial posting like this and it's so far off the mark as to be comedic, my first instinct is that it's a troll and I don't want to feed them. Either that, or someone who wishes he was living here full-time but can't (working stiff) so likes to bash those who can/do.

I mean, there are certainly some pimples on Pattaya's face but it's nothing like the cancerous tumors this poster describes.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Pattaya and Thailand in general is heading downhill. I hope for the sake of everyone the government is somehow able to street things into the right direction rather than into the ground.

Over 10 years of being here, only the past two years have I seen so much violence and rude behavior from the Thais. I've recently known many guys who were jumped by Thai men, beaten with poles or sticks and one that was stabbed by a motobike driver over a money dispute. In the past, this sort of thing just didn't happen so much.

I've started eye balling Malaysia in the event I do decide to leave Thailand down the road if the situation continues to deteriorate. Though I would rather stay here if possible, but as things progress, the thought to raising children here and having them safe is becoming a pipe dream. I can't even imagine being elderly here in 10 or 20 years and have to deal with new crop of Thai thugs. It just doesn't make sense.

But for now, I'm still here and doing my best to keep moving forward. It probably won't be several years before I move on to someplace a little more laid back and less dangerous for a family.

I don't even see any reality in what you are saying. If anything, Thailand is better than it was 20 years ago when I first settled here and I am almost never afraid of violence as I was in my own country.

I visit Bangkok and Pattaya often and have no problem there either.

One thing is, I guess that Thailand attracts a lot of wackos - or maybe it is the internet - because there certainly seem to be those that agree with you. :)

Like it or not (and I like Pattaya), violence or the threat of violence has increased dramatically these past few years. To most Pattaya Thais we are merely farang to be milked for all we're worth. From the bar girl/boy (and where would Pattaya be without them?) to banks charging 150 baht to draw money and immigration cracking down on visa runs.

Yes, its far safer than my own country but take those rose tinted glasses off and look around.

Sorry you never realised jackh but the Pattaya police have been very, very busy lately, cleaning up beach road :D

After how many years? and countless promises, they still haven't stopped all the so called illegal parking on this road, so please - give them a chance :D

We will not mention the Baht buses :) !

I'm not a sex tourist, but admittedly enjoy the nightlife as part of my visits.

You're not a sex tourist, but you enjoy the nightlife?

What exactly is your problem?

my question is... if you're not a sex tourist but yet you've been coming to Pattaya since the 90s... umm... why do you routinely come to Pattaya? there are million other places on this entire planet you could be (and have been) experiencing. and now, you sound bitter that you have wasted almost 20 years. sad.

unless you're just a sex tourist, which is absolutely acceptable and nothing to be ashamed about. if the object of your post was to get some feedback and possible advice, i'm going to have to go with 'enjoy China, you have made a wise decision'.

Well what can I say came to Pattaya 3 years ago from UK I have only been robbed eight times by topless go go dancers in Tesco's carpark it happened last week on friday again on saturday and three times on sunday I am going back again today to see if there still there.

hahahaha, dead on John. well played.

Sorry to say that you might just be right on in your assessment of this fair city, seem as if not a day goes by without a body turning up somewhere, just read Pattaya One News, Holland guy 69 found dead in hotel room, sad RIP :D:) City and visitors biting the Dust.

Holland guy 69 found dead in hotel room...

Yes, it's really terrifying when 69 year old men tie in their sleep...I mean, this has never been know to happen before and is therefore mighty suspicious. Someone quickly notify the Dutch police, interpol, and that pointy-haired Thai forensic pathologist that a dastardly crime has likely been committed and needs to be throughly investigated.

I can only hope that I too am a victim of such a crime when my times up.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Just joined and hung up my lurking hat.

5 year Pattaya expat. I'm here for the weather, infrastructure, cost of living, and the supply of girls. I meet girls on internet dating sites (huge source) and then some around town. Come morning recently, I've been asked for payment from some of the girls. Given she works at Big C for example, I was surprised. Times are changing. I also speak beyond basic Thai which permits me to meet newbies who are still benevolent and the style of girl I always fantasized about prior to living full time in Asia. A year later, they've lost that beauty. It's not the people, it's the place IMO.

Pattaya and Thailand in general is heading downhill. I hope for the sake of everyone the government is somehow able to street things into the right direction rather than into the ground.

Over 10 years of being here, only the past two years have I seen so much violence and rude behavior from the Thais. I've recently known many guys who were jumped by Thai men, beaten with poles or sticks and one that was stabbed by a motobike driver over a money dispute. In the past, this sort of thing just didn't happen so much.

I've started eye balling Malaysia in the event I do decide to leave Thailand down the road if the situation continues to deteriorate. Though I would rather stay here if possible, but as things progress, the thought to raising children here and having them safe is becoming a pipe dream. I can't even imagine being elderly here in 10 or 20 years and have to deal with new crop of Thai thugs. It just doesn't make sense.

But for now, I'm still here and doing my best to keep moving forward. It probably won't be several years before I move on to someplace a little more laid back and less dangerous for a family.

I think Pattaya is a great place to live, but never in my wildest dreams would I consider it a place to bring up a family.

What were you thinking?

I would guess that most expats living here have already done the family thing in their home countries before they arrived. The odd few (pun intended) who want to start a second family in Thailand would probably choose to live in a quiet provincial setting.

It should be fairly obvious to most world travellers (I'm sure most members on here could be considered as such), that a predominantly sex-tourism orientated town will drag in a lot of undesirables and certain precautions must be taken.

If you're looking for an idyllic place to bring up a family there wouldn't be much worse than Pattaya.

5 year Pattaya expat. I'm here for the weather, infrastructure, cost of living, and the supply of girls. I meet girls on internet dating sites (huge source) and then some around town. Come morning recently, I've been asked for payment from some of the girls. Given she works at Big C for example, I was surprised. Times are changing. I also speak beyond basic Thai which permits me to meet newbies who are still benevolent and the style of girl I always fantasized about prior to living full time in Asia. A year later, they've lost that beauty. It's not the people, it's the place IMO.

So basically you troll internet dating sites to find Thai girls for free sex. To get the free sex you pretend to be a person looking for a permanent relationship.

You honed your skills by learning Thai so you can more easily hoodwink innocent newbies into free sex. The more innocent the better. This is your fantasy.

Then, after some time, when you've fully corrupted them you observe that "they've lost that beauty" and say "it's not the people, it's the place".

You were a bit surprised that some of the girls asked you for money in the morning after you had your way with them. They should have given it for free in the hope you would marry them, right?

It must have come as a bit of a shock that some of this "huge source" were trying to scam you just as you were scamming them.

I wish I could adequately describe what I think of individuals like you, but we have rules here.

Edited by tropo

I had plans to retire in Thailand some years ago, but opted instead to go to China. That was one of the smarter moves I made in my life. While no place is without it's faults, at least China is still a bargin where gangbangers and serious crime is not put up with. And not to mention that foriegners are very well liked and treated.

Retired to China where gangbangers are not put up with. :)

This is obviously a bullshit post by someone who thinks he's pretty funny.

So basically you troll internet dating sites to find Thai girls for free sex. To get the free sex you pretend to be a person looking for a permanent relationship.

You honed your skills by learning Thai so you can more easily hoodwink innocent newbies into free sex. The more innocent the better. This is your fantasy.

Then, after some time, when you've fully corrupted them you observe that "they've lost that beauty" and say "it's not the people, it's the place".

You were a bit surprised that some of the girls asked you for money in the morning after you had your way with them. They should have given it for free in the hope you would marry them, right?

It must have come as a bit of a shock that some of this "huge source" were trying to scam you just as you were scamming them.

I wish I could adequately describe what I think of individuals like you, but we have rules here.

Man is a hunter

So in fact you encourage paid sex.You must be a sex tourist then.

If dare visit again try the dark side we are nice folk over there.

Where exactly is the dark side, where do I meet the nice people ?

Is it a cheap housing project with no hotels and entertainment ?

Mostly Expats with TGF 's ?

No, I'm not a sex tourist as I'm in a monogamous relationship with a girl from a different country.

I would definitely encourage paying in preference to Craigslist's antics.

What about you Basjke? Do you prefer to deceive innocent young ladies?

Edited by tropo

hmmmm leave Pattaya to those who can handle it... china can have you mate!!!! :)

The OPs opinion is valid.......Pattaya has deteriorated, especially over the past ten years and it looks like the pace of deterioration is accelerating.

There are many reason for this, but that topic has been covered elsewhere.

Many tourists are finding alternative destinations to be good alternatives to Titanic-Thailand.

Beaches and warm weather are all over the place......P

attaya-Jomtien once offered beaches (never really good though), warm weather, a crazy and FUN nightlife and RELAXED atmosphere (no visa police giving you the eyeball), at an inexpensive price.

That situation has changed..........

China is a good place to live if you live in the right place.......no security problems at all.......more girls than you can count (why people think otherwise is a mystery to me.....why do you think there are so many Chinese?).....fantastic food, weather than changes......massive diversity in geography......but I do not like the govt. and control of the media (Thailand is, unfortunately, catching up to China in terms of media control).

There are lots of expats in Thailand who, if honest, would tell you they would have jumped ship a long time ago. The problem is finding an alternative that offers the same quality of life.....the same feeling of happiness.....at the right price.

+1 Agree completely Tropo

No, I'm not a sex tourist as I'm in a monogamous relationship with a girl from a different country.

I would definitely encourage paying in preference to Craigslist's antics.

What about you Basjke? Do you prefer to deceive innocent young ladies?

Innocent young ladies do not have sex with strangers