Gluten

jonboy29

Hi guys. Have just joined your forum and i have boring question! I have lived in Phang nga for over 5 years and have just been told by the docs to start a wheat free/ gluten free diet, yea i know its a boring topic but i have to give up beer and thats bad enough! does anyone know where i can buy gluten free bread and other foods in or around phuket??? gonna have to drink sang som from now on!

cheers

jon boy from khao lak

Hi guys. Have just joined your forum and i have boring question! I have lived in Phang nga for over 5 years and have just been told by the docs to start a wheat free/ gluten free diet, yea i know its a boring topic but i have to give up beer and thats bad enough! does anyone know where i can buy gluten free bread and other foods in or around phuket??? gonna have to drink sang som from now on!

cheers

jon boy from khao lak

Try posting in the food section of Thaivisa I've seen some products available but a limited range Tops, Villa etc

Try Villa market down in the Homepro Plaza in Chalong, they seem to have a lot of imported health and organic foods, you might be able to find what you need there.

and if you're ever in Singapore go to "Brown Rice Paradise" inside the Tanglin mall. Great natural foods and a ton of gluten free products

Hi, I was a nanny for a family in USA for two weeks. (Yes, two weeks.)

The family is gluten free so I have to learn to read labels and even bake breads and cakes without gluten.

If you liked, I can try give you some ideas on getting your own gluten free diet going.

And I am Singaporean. So I can drop by Singapore often enough to get those ready prepared bread and cake mix if you cannot find them here in Phuket. That should help tide you over for when you get your shipping of whatever items you need to continue that diet from whichever country you are familar with.

Asian diet is generally without wheat, but some of the sauces have wheat. So if in doubt. Dont use it.

• 1 month later...
Asian diet is generally without wheat, but some of the sauces have wheat. So if in doubt. Dont use it.

For me it's just an allergy thing, with no particularly serious consequences if I eat wheat things..... But others have medical conditions that make them much more sensitive, and can have serious medical consequences...

So... avoiding wheat isn't so simple... For example, soy sauce typically has wheat... So do breaded and many deep fried foods... And of course, hamburger buns and most other baked goods, including cakes and cookies, are out. Hash browns too typically are prepared with wheat... Most cereals have some wheat or wheat grain included... And on and on and on... Most pastas and crackers are made from wheat... So if you're serious about avoiding it, it really requires a lot of diet changes, and limits your eating choices, particularly if you're in a place where good gluten free options are not available.

For me it's just an allergy thing, with no particularly serious consequences if I eat wheat things..... But others have medical conditions that make them much more sensitive, and can have serious medical consequences...

So... avoiding wheat isn't so simple... For example, soy sauce typically has wheat... So do breaded and many deep fried foods... And of course, hamburger buns and most other baked goods, including cakes and cookies, are out. Hash browns too typically are prepared with wheat... Most cereals have some wheat or wheat grain included... And on and on and on... Most pastas and crackers are made from wheat... So if you're serious about avoiding it, it really requires a lot of diet changes, and limits your eating choices, particularly if you're in a place where good gluten free options are not available.

And some processing plants process wheat products in conjunction of producing whatever you are buying.

So yes, if you have allergies and medical conditions, and must eat bread, buy pre mix break and cake mix from online companies that caters to caelic diesease sufferers.

And get a personal cook/chef that should eliminate out the gluten and wheat from your diet.

And errmmm......some soy sauce dont have wheat in them.

Cereals, pastas, hashbrowns are ermmm.....not typical asian food.

Edited by viciouskitty74

My husband is allergic to gluten and one of the reasons we go to Thailand on holidays is because most of the food is glutenfree. All noodles part from egg noodles are gluten free. Rice is ofcourse gluten free. He can eat the normal bread and pastries in Thailand so we thought they were made of rice flour. Are we wrong?

Obviously, it would depend on the particular bread and pastries you are eating....

But, even in Thailand, go to any shop or bakery or restaurant and eat bread or Western-style pastries, and they are going to be made from some variety of wheat flour... i.e. all purpose flour, bread flour, cake flour, which all come from wheat.

It's very difficult (almost impossible) here in Thailand to find any commercially prepared breads (as opposed to ones you may bake at home) that are wheat-free.

I've never heard or seen of rice-flour prepared breads and pastries in Thailand.

Noodles are a different story. Yes, Thais use a lot of rice noodles in their cooking, which should be generally gluten-free. But regular non-Thai pastas you'll find here at Italian restaurants and such are also going to be using wheat-based ingredients.

Edited by jfchandler

My husband is allergic to gluten and one of the reasons we go to Thailand on holidays is because most of the food is glutenfree. All noodles part from egg noodles are gluten free. Rice is ofcourse gluten free. He can eat the normal bread and pastries in Thailand so we thought they were made of rice flour. Are we wrong?

I remember egg noodles are of wheat flour. So is normal bread and pastries.

Gluten free bread and cakes tend to be heavier or denser so I do not know if the normal bread and pastries Polemi encounted is really gluten free.

• 4 weeks later...

cheers

jon boy from khao lak

try Villa market in Chalong, they have imported good stuff there included various healthy items.