Visa And Extension

Hi,

I'm a 38 year old Brit and in November I'm looking to move to Thailand on a more permanent basis to join my wife

Before I kick the process off I would just like to see if I've understood the process correctly (probably not :-))

I'm going to start by applying for 12 month visa to visit family & friends - from what I understand this means I'll have to leave to country every 90 days to get the next 90 days activated

At some point before the 12 months is up (probably after 7 or 8 months have passed) I'll transferr 400K baht to a bank account in my name and then make deposits and withdrawals to this account on a regular basis (ensuring that I don't go beneath 400K baht)

30 days before the 12 months is up I will then need to go to immigration to apply for an extension based on supporting my wife

Hopefully this will be granted and I then need to report to the police station every 90 days to prove I am still resident at the correct address

Then on an annual basis I need to apply for further extension 30 days before the current extension expires

If I want to leave the country whilst I am on the extrension I need to apply for a re-entry permit (I'm not entirely sure of this process and at what point I need to do it) otherwise I have to start the whole process again from the beginning

Is this correct from a high level perspective?

Thanks in advance,

Narked

You don't have to wait until the end of the 12 months if you don't want to. You can do your extension during the last 30 days of any of your 90 days entries.

In fact you don't even need to get a multiple entry visa. Unless that is what you want to do.

You could get a single entry put the money in the bank and get your extension during the last 30 days of that entry.

If for some reason you did not have the money in the bank for 2 months you could get a 60 day extension to give you some more time.

You can get the re-entry permit on the day you get your extension stamp. It would be valid for the length of your extension or until you use it unless you get a multiple entry.

Three things.

If you wish you can stretch out the Non Imm O Visa to 15 months by doing a border run just before it expires.

Apply for the Visa at the Consulate in Hull.

You do the 90 day reports at an Immigration Office not a police station.

Thailand on planet Earth?

Has to be 50 years old to get a type O retirement visa

)Residence permit (have to live there first 2 months then take lease to immigration)

)doctors note

)800,000 in Thai Bank (need residence permit open bank)

)letter from home embassy in bangkok make more than $1600 month

There's more than that - I can't remember now.

Search on Ed visa or work visa. the list of a million hoops you have to

jump through isn't even fully understandable to me.

I've never tried to apply for any of them.

What one year visa are you talking about?

)Residence permit (have to live there first 2 months then take lease to immigration)

)doctors note

He is married to a Thai so he can get a visa and extension of stay without a problem.

Also within Europe there are several consulates that issue multiple entry non-o visas to visit friends.

The requrement you wrote about are for getting an extension of stay (medical not requred) or a non-oa visa. It is more like about $1900 now to meet the 65K baht income requirement.

)doctors note

jb5music - you need to read the question again :)

The poster never mentioned Retiring, actually he said he was married and coming to support his wife. As such he can get a family visit Visa, type O, multi-entry that lasts for 12 months.

As a married person [married to a Thai of course] he only needs to show 400K Baht, not 800,000; or simply 40,000 Baht each month of Income [about 1,100 of your planet earth dollars], for the previous 3 months.

Actually I think he has summed up the process perfectly, but of course as we all know it can change with very little notice.