Tsunami Victims Ready To Sue USA And Thailand

george

Tsunami Victims Ready to Sue US and Thailand

Victims of the earthquake and tsunami that destroyed much of the South Asian coastline last December are reportedly preparing a lawsuit in New York against the US Bureau of Meteorology and the Thai government for failing to warn them about the earthquake.

Lawyers for 15 Austrian and four German tsunami victims announced in the Austrian capital Vienna yesterday (February 15) that the case is not primarily concerned with compensation, but aims to reveal the negligence of those sued over the issue. The lawyers asserted that the Washington-based US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii did not warn the countries on the Indian Ocean in time despite records of the earthquake.

The case alleges that the NOAA and Thailand authorities recorded the epicenter and size of the earthquake within 15 minutes, but they did not inform the countries which border on the Indian Ocean.

--Anadolu News Agency 2005-02-16

Ok since When is it the united state problem on warning anybody of a tsunami we only have to warn our country of anything since it is our taxes that pay for this system not any other countrys if you want this to work for you then pay your fair share.This pathetic lawsuit will be thrown out of court so fast its not funny.once again this is to warn the united states of any problems not the world.I know bush sure seems to think we are the world police wich i think is a joke we have our own problems as it is.i sure wish the other countrys would pull there fair share for once.We always have been a country others look up for help with anything.and all we get in return is looked down on and criticised for trying to make this world a peacefull place to live for everybody.its not our fault the muslims can`t even get allong with there own kind let allone the world.

You seem to want to get involved in everything else, why start being selectve now? I mean you Invade countries for sneezing in the wrong direction but no it's all "we are'nt responsible, we can't be the worlds police force", stop acting like it and if you just want to look after America stop interfeering with everyone elses business. Don't blame Bush you put him there...twice!!

And what country might you be from? Is your gov all about the people and doing the right thing? Is your country lacking in the imperial dept? No abuse of others at all, no wrong moves on your part,eh? Out of all the contries reped here on this site I can't of one that has no bones hidden. ######, most of the countries here have bones out in the open. So, do us all a favor, point your finger at gov policy not the the people.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victims of the earthquake and tsunami that destroyed much of the South Asian coastline last December are reportedly preparing a lawsuit in New York against the US Bureau of Meteorology and the Thai government for failing to warn them about the earthquake.

Lawyers for 15 Austrian and four German tsunami victims announced in the Austrian capital Vienna yesterday (February 15) that the case is not primarily concerned with compensation, but aims to reveal the negligence of those sued over the issue. The lawyers asserted that the Washington-based US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii did not warn the countries on the Indian Ocean in time despite records of the earthquake.

The case alleges that the NOAA and Thailand authorities recorded the epicenter and size of the earthquake within 15 minutes, but they did not inform the countries which border on the Indian Ocean.

Ok since When is it the united state problem on warning anybody of a tsunami we only have to warn our country of anything since it is our taxes that pay for this system not any other countrys if you want this to work for you then pay your fair share.This pathetic lawsuit will be thrown out of court so fast its not funny.once again this is to warn the united states of any problems not the world.I know bush sure seems to think we are the world police wich i think is a joke we have our own problems as it is.i sure wish the other countrys would pull there fair share for once.We always have been a country others look up for help with anything.and all we get in return is looked down on and criticised for trying to make this world a peacefull place to live for everybody.its not our fault the muslims can`t even get allong with there own kind let allone the world.

You seem to want to get involved in everything else, why start being selectve now? I mean you Invade countries for sneezing in the wrong direction but no it's all "we are'nt responsible, we can't be the worlds police force", stop acting like it and if you just want to look after America stop interfeering with everyone elses business. Don't blame Bush you put him there...twice!!

And what country might you be from? Is your gov all about the people and doing the right thing? Is your country lacking in the imperial dept? No abuse of others at all, no wrong moves on your part,eh? Out of all the contries reped here on this site I can't of one that has no bones hidden. ######, most of the countries here have bones out in the open. So, do us all a favor, point your finger at gov policy not the the people.

and what is your country sunshine ?

Now I remember why I stopped following this topic I thought it was sent to the bear pit, since it appears to be about nothing but politics.

Even if they did get a warning,  Would they even have listened to it??  Also how far could they have gotten??   according to what  I have read this Tsunami was travelling 500 miles an hour??  Or am I wrong?...

I think you're getting mixed up here. The "shock wave" may travel at 500 mph, but didn't you see the pictures of the water hitting the beaches? That speed was only 10s of miles an hour - and it doesn't matter anyway how fast the water was coming, it's how much time people had to get to high ground that was important. Just five minutes would have saved thousands of lives.

The shockwave will be travelling in the miles per second range. The tsunami in deep water will travel up to and beyond 500mph depending on depth and will slow in shallow water. It was probably doing about 30-40mph when it hit most shores. There would have been adequate time to act. Someone mentioned that no-one is really qualified to make a decision and we don't really have enough knowledge of tsumanis...what hogwash! The physics of a tsunami is very basic and respective government departments are well clued up or had received enough info off of other goverments to act . <deleted> does it take to make a few phone calls to the right people, or any people, in the probable affected areas?

The sole resposibility lies with the air heads at the seismological department in Thailand and they should be sued together with the government and not without. If they at least gave the warning and the right people didn't act to get people off the beaches then they should be exonerated. Ultimately, it's got diddly squat to do with the US and not their problem. They detected and relayed the data and if the other end didn't act it's down to their government. As someone already mentioned, the probable reason the US is being targetted is that there's a better chance of it going to court and the payout will be substantial.

I guess we are not very good at recognizing rhetoric, and no my country is not sunshine. My country is in desparte need of reform, if only the people could see that. However, most people here are closed off in their own little worlds never taking the time to choose between right and wrong or what is good for the nation as a whole. Yet there are still some who try, so I say again, you can't point the finger at an entire nation of people and say you are all bad. Because there are others who go against what their people might want. By the way I come from a little place called The United States of America. :o

I guess we are not very good at recognizing rhetoric, and no my country is not sunshine. My country is in desparte need of reform, if only the people could see that. However, most people here are closed off in their own little worlds never taking the time to choose between right and wrong or what is good for the nation as a whole. Yet there are still some who try, so I say again, you can't point the finger at an entire nation of people and say you are all bad. Because there are others who go against what their people might want. By the way I come from a little place called The United States of America. :D

LOL Where's that Snapback ? :D With that nick was I married to you once ? :o