Unlock Iphone 3g At Last...

Lucifer

Serious question - I've read in a couple of places if you unlock the iPhone, then get an apple update, that you run the risk of freezing the phone up. True? Not true? I'm going to the States next month and would love to bring one back with me if I can make it work here.

Just buy a SIM lock free iphone from the TRUE shop, then no need to unlock or worry about bricking your phone, as it's factory unlock.

Only jailbreak it for the free applications if needed.

Had that, and just upgraded to 3.0, now it's not jailbroken anymore, but it still works like a charm.

As soon as the jailbreak for 3.0 is available (today or so) i can do the process again

Jailbreak for 3.0 is out.

Mine went well (2G iPhone) except the backup was slow as hel_l afterwards. Seems to be a bug in 3.0. Was able to resolve following these instructions:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...9699203#9699203

BTW the 3.0 upgrade is less great for us 2G iPhone users because all the coolest stuff doesn't work on the 2G, like tethering... going to get a new 3GS once they can be bought in Thailand.

Edited by nikster

Ya jailbreak and unlock has been out for a few days, I upgraded my 2g phone as soon as it came out. It's really easy, you don't need to buy through True, its a simple process if you can read directions. Took me less than a minute after I downloaded the required files.

Ya jailbreak and unlock has been out for a few days, I upgraded my 2g phone as soon as it came out. It's really easy, you don't need to buy through True, its a simple process if you can read directions. Took me less than a minute after I downloaded the required files.

Unlocked my AT&T locked 3G a few months ago but had issues with dialer.app - something to do with the Thai character set. Could get inbound calls, but whenever I brought up the dialer to make an outbound call it would crash. Anyone else experience this?

Also, any tips on getting data if you are using prepaid sims? Just use the green free wifi?

Will I lose my data in my apps from jailbreaking and unlocking a virgin 3.0 phone? If it were my phone I wouldn't care but I am doing it for my friend and he actually does important things with his phone. Would hate to have to tell him I lost his data.

Will I lose my data in my apps from jailbreaking and unlocking a virgin 3.0 phone? If it were my phone I wouldn't care but I am doing it for my friend and he actually does important things with his phone. Would hate to have to tell him I lost his data.

no. When I did mine all of the apps stayed as they were. Was even able to add other apps from the iTunes app store after the jail break.

Just buy a SIM lock free iphone from the TRUE shop, then no need to unlock or worry about bricking your phone, as it's factory unlock.

How much?

25K for 8

27K for 16

something like that

check true website for the exact number

How much?

25K for 8

27K for 16

something like that

check true website for the exact number

Or wait until August, when they'll get a lot cheaper and the new 3GS will come out.... that's what I am doing, I want to upgrade because all the fun things in 3.0 don't work on the 2G, but I am not going to buy a overpriced 3G now.

Actually somebody posted in another forum a brand new 3G now costs $400 on ebay, factory unlocked from Hong Kong.

no. When I did mine all of the apps stayed as they were. Was even able to add other apps from the iTunes app store after the jail break.

Thanks for the info. It worked like a charm. I had to resync all of my apps but the data was indeed still there.

Edited by anotheruser

To keep all your data(contacts, Apps etc) open itunes, connect your iphone. When the iphone logo shows on the left side of itunes, right click on it. Click on ''back up''. Wait till itunes backs up all your data. Now you can update, jailbreak, and Unlock.

I upgraded my iphone 3G to 3.0 and then jaibroke it using redsnow. No problems (didnt need to unlock it as it is a HK unlocked phone). However I have found many of the cydia APPs simply dont work with 3.0. Aptbackup is a bummer because that restores all your cydia apps. Bossprefs is another.

Unfortunately I dont have wifi as my wifi chip has over heated (it will only work if I deepfreeze my iphone). So I have been SSHing the cydia apps over to my iphone. Anyone else having problems with cydia apps?

I upgraded my iphone 3G to 3.0 and then jaibroke it using redsnow. No problems (didnt need to unlock it as it is a HK unlocked phone). However I have found many of the cydia APPs simply dont work with 3.0. Aptbackup is a bummer because that restores all your cydia apps. Bossprefs is another.

Unfortunately I dont have wifi as my wifi chip has over heated (it will only work if I deepfreeze my iphone). So I have been SSHing the cydia apps over to my iphone. Anyone else having problems with cydia apps?

Yeah I think most of the app developers will just have to update their applications. They were all using unofficial APIs which means that it should not come as a surprise if some of them break.

If you use official APIs only, Apple will guarantee that they work, they will never change, and if they do there will be lots of advance warnings and transition periods. For unofficial APIs, Apple can change them on a whim, whenever they want, without giving anyone notice. You are not supposed to use them, so if you do its your own problem when your app breaks.

iBlacklist has lost my absolute favorite feature, hiding the "call forwarding" alert. I dislike that useless alert, and iBlacklist has an option to suppress it. The option is still there in 3.0, but not working. Once again, on every call I make, I get a "call forwarding..." popup. :)

Edit: Not sure if the 3.0 upgrade is worth it for iPhone 2G users - the coolest new features don't work (voice dialing, voice iPod controls, tethering)... which leaves search and the voice memo app. Search is amazing in a way, as it works the same way as on OS X, super fast and searches the entire phone. But it's not really a feature I missed before so its day to day usefulness is unclear. Copy/paste I wished I had maybe a handful of times over the last 2 years, so not crucially important either.

Edited by nikster

3.0 is still a massive upgrade for 2g owners. I'm loving it. Would love internet tethering and mms even more though.

Bossprefs is dead, the new thing to turn off edge/wifi and whatever else you want is SBSETTINGS. It works great, installed it just in time to stop my edge minutes going over my monthly limit by themselves.

3.0 is still a massive upgrade for 2g owners. I'm loving it. Would love internet tethering and mms even more though.

Bossprefs is dead, the new thing to turn off edge/wifi and whatever else you want is SBSETTINGS. It works great, installed it just in time to stop my edge minutes going over my monthly limit by themselves.

I hear and read great things about SB settings . How did you install it on your Iphone :) ? Mine is 3G / 8 Gb on V. 2.2.1 , from the US.

Phil

Hi again

I know about Cydia and it is on my Iphone. I am just a bit hesitant to upgrade to 3.0 as I would hate to loose everything I have installed so far...

After upgrading, will Itunes accept to restore my last sync ? Should I accept Itunes request to upgrade to 3.0 or do it another way ? Which way would you recommennd ?

Thanks.

Phil

Yes you can resync your phone after upgrading (first you need to upgrade itunes to the new 8.2 then you would upgrade the iphone) but you will lose all your cydia apps and have to resinstall them. But don't upgrade to 3.0 unless you know what you are doing. Modmyi.com has directions, do not update normally through Itunes, that means do not accept Itunes request.

But don't upgrade to 3.0 unless you know what you are doing.

That's exactly my concern... Although I am quite sure I will try it sooner or later...

I will have a look on that modmyi forum, thanks for the info.

Phil