Do Pizza Shops In Chiang Mai Offer Many Choices?

IanForbes

I've had pizza at many different places in Chiang Mai and most are okay, but nothing to write home about. Do the various places offer choices other than just toppings? There are thick crusts, thin crusts, crunchy ones and soft ones. Do you always get just what that particular place offers, or can you order a specialty? I've read about all the pro and cons about Dukes on this forum, but I can't say I've tried them.

Here in Canada I can go into the local super market and pick one of about 20 different styles to take home and just heat up in my oven. Or, I can go to one of the many places specializing in pizzas and buy one there. There's also home service. The price varies between $5 and $15 for a 14 inch pizza.

But, I normally make my own. It's quite simple if you have a few hours to spare and a good working space. I happen to like a thin, crunchy crust and normally pre-cook the pizza dough for 10 minutes to harden it up a bit before I add the toppings. I've never learned to toss dough like the professionals but a rolling pin or glass bottle seems to do the trick.

For a topping I start with a very thin coat of Louisiana hot sauce and cover that with a slightly thicker coat of crushed tomatoes. Over that I sprinkle a good coating of powdered parmesan cheese, followed by finely diced hot pepper and a big, sweet red pepper. I'll add a sliced up Polish sausage and finally a good coating of shredded mozzarella cheese. I'll complete the cooking in the oven at 400 degrees for a further 15 minutes... or until the dough around the edge of the pan turns brown.

Is there some place in Chiang Mai that would make such a specialty order? It would be kind of fun if we could design our own.

What are your personal choices of what makes a good pizza?

I've had pizza at many different places in Chiang Mai and most are okay, but nothing to write home about. Do the various places offer choices other than just toppings? There are thick crusts, thin crusts, crunchy ones and soft ones. Do you always get just what that particular place offers, or can you order a specialty? I've read about all the pro and cons about Dukes on this forum, but I can't say I've tried them.

Here in Canada I can go into the local super market and pick one of about 20 different styles to take home and just heat up in my oven. Or, I can go to one of the many places specializing in pizzas and buy one there. There's also home service. The price varies between $5 and $15 for a 14 inch pizza.

But, I normally make my own. It's quite simple if you have a few hours to spare and a good working space. I happen to like a thin, crunchy crust and normally pre-cook the pizza dough for 10 minutes to harden it up a bit before I add the toppings. I've never learned to toss dough like the professionals but a rolling pin or glass bottle seems to do the trick.

For a topping I start with a very thin coat of Louisiana hot sauce and cover that with a slightly thicker coat of crushed tomatoes. Over that I sprinkle a good coating of powdered parmesan cheese, followed by finely diced hot pepper and a big, sweet red pepper. I'll add a sliced up Polish sausage and finally a good coating of shredded mozzarella cheese. I'll complete the cooking in the oven at 400 degrees for a further 15 minutes... or until the dough around the edge of the pan turns brown.

Is there some place in Chiang Mai that would make such a specialty order? It would be kind of fun if we could design our own.

What are your personal choices of what makes a good pizza?

The Dukes might be up for 'made to order pizza' Ask they're pretty flexible.

I have a feeling that Koh Lanta Pizza is no longer there.

Their signs all vanished a while ago and I just tried their number at 6 PM on a weekday and no answer. I've tried to look back to where the shop used to be and it was dark.

I could be wrong, but, please try to call them before coming downtown for nothing.

There seems to be a pretty big variety of toppings; most of which I would never put on a pizza. Where Chiang Mai is lacking, is in variety of crusts. I personally love a good thick crust and there aren't too many options around.