Living In Thailand

davet58

high all :D i am thinking of leaving the uk for the winter months but i need to live pretty frugally not sure of cash flow :D what would be the minimum sort of monthly outgings i could expect pay?say a few beers each evening, my only vice :o iam 58yrs young fairly fit :D im not materilistic quite capaple of living simply.i would love to hear the pros and cons of living in thailand maybe its possible to work? i am a former fitter a good handyman and earn money from photography. appreciate any advice thanks : :D

Edited by davet58

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30Kb a month, but I'm sure others would disagree :D

30K Baht wouldn't hack it in the Sukhumvit area or even the Prapadaeng section of Samut Prakan. Definitely not in Phuket or Cha Am/Hua Hin.

Know a little mooban out in Sisaket province it would be enough but that's living really "Ban Nook Maak"! :o

30K for a monastic existance will suffice.

ThaiFlyer is right about the girlfriend/wife factor.

Don't forget the extras like health insurance.

At our age that can be quite hefty, but becomes more reasonable if

you scale it down to local hospital levels and use a local company like Bupa Thailand.

30Kb a month, but I'm sure others would disagree :o

Would agree that a frugal living can be had on 30k, but that's r-e-a-l-l-y frugal.

If you look around you can find decent living quarters for from 5k to 6k a month.

They won't be deluxe, but liveable, furnished sparsely. That leaves you 24 thousand for food, drink, and utilities. You don't really NEED a phone line, a mobile phone is so cheap, and you can control it's use as you see fit. If a computer is going to be part of your living style, then a little more expense will be neccessary, but then that'll be up to you.

Thai food is rediculously cheap....."falang" food is not, so if you can learn to like native grub, with an occasional burger or two to change the pace, you'll do fine. Also if you intend to prepare most of your own meals, you'll save even more.

Take-out beer from the supermarkets, or 7 - 11, is about 22 to 25 baht per can, and draught, (draft) beer is about 35 baht in the beer bars, (bar-beers), with bottled beer about 35 to 40 baht, native beer, and there are some good ones once you get used to them. Not ALL bars of course, but you have to familiarize yourself with the bars, and there are hundreds of them, because most of the bars I hang out at are about that price.

I've told my lady that my income will be about 1100 bucks, US, (about 40k baht) and she thinks that's a fortune. It will be considerablly more than that but I was testing the water. She says we'll have money left over each month, and she can hardly wait for my move to BKK so we can live together.

I hope this gives you some insight.....your mileage may vary.....but it can be done and with so much joy and happiness available, who needs money.....Ernie

hi

i to am moving to thailand in several weeks before i make the final move i am going there on monday for 1 month. i am only taking 60000 for the month + other money for expenses ( setting up a company and getting visas )

the reason i am doing this is to see how comfortable i can live on 60000 per month.

i will let you know how i do. if i find it hard to live on that up north ( chiang mai ) then maybe it will be difficult to live on the 30000 per month quoted on here.

i do not drink much and also have a thai girlfriend who i give 10000 a month to, she sends some to parents and the rest is for SHOPPING :D

i have an appartment which costs me 4500 per month and i spend 1500 on average per month on my mobile.

the last few times i have been to thailand i have went nuts with the money but this time i do need to calm down and get a good perspective on living costs in LOS.

you also have to factor in costs for intenet and transport if you do not own a car or bike.

personally i think 30000 is not living compared to what you may be used to but then again it is more of a lifestyle change for a lot of people.

i would find it very very difficult to survive on 30000 per month but thats just my humble opinion.

please bear in mind as well that chiang mai is very cheap compared to places like Pattaya and Bangkok. last time i went to pattaya for 3 weeks i spent 180000 and that was without going nuts. i also never paid more than 1000 per night for a "companion" :o

i will let you know how i get on this time around

thanks for the info so far, really apreciate it , :D another problem has just surfaced, when i was 24 i shot a airgun :D on goverment land at a tin can and was arrested i now have a criminal record :o will this affect any visa applications,thanks again. :D this was 34 yrs ago :D

thanks for the info so far, really apreciate it , :D another problem has just surfaced, when i was 24 i shot a airgun :D  on goverment land at a tin can and was arrested i now have a criminal record :D  will this affect any visa applications,thanks again. :D this was 34 yrs ago  :D

:D:D:D ........... :o......Edit ....no it wont.

Edited by thaiflyer1

30K baht per month is doable in the sticks but you will struggle in the big cities and tourist areas.

" i was 24 i shot an airgun on goverment land at a tin can "

if the airgun was not really a bazooka, the gov. land not Fort Knox and the tin can not an army tank, then you should be OK

30kb a month not including rent cost and you will do just fine

??????...I only pay 1800bt for a nice studio in Muang Thong..30k would be a lovely monthly amount. not as frugal as most would have you belive. you would not get much travelling in for that tho. use local transport. eat at local food spots and you will do fine.

meal...20 bt

soft drink..20bt

big chang 36bt

bus ride 8bt

muang thong to victory monument 25bt

good luck, keep a big smile on your face and you will be well recived.

i dont want to live in a city, just somewhere to meditate and reflect on my drink fuelled womanising greedy western lifestyle :o what do thais eat? :D i like rice vegetables fish some meat hate burghers ! : :D i do like a nice beach or river setting :D

Edited by davet58

Have you got B30,000 a month!!??

Where in Thailand do you want to be?

You will have to 'go native' for that!...not too many B120 beers in western bars..and yes Thai food....but you will have much more fun, particularly if you speak some Thai!

if ican let my flat in uk i should have #600 per month . can you house share?

You will have to 'go native' for that!...not too many B120 beers in western bars..and yes Thai food....but you will have much more fun, particularly if you speak some Thai!

that is 42000bt a month, you don't need to house share. If you are serious about living outside cosmopolitan areas that will be more than enough. You have it covered. get the house in the rental agents window

that is 42000bt a month, you don't need to house share. If you are serious about living outside cosmopolitan areas that will be more than enough. You have it covered. get the house in the rental agents window

From my experience, 35,000 Baht per month in BKK is the equivalent of having a 40 grand per year salary in London in terms of lifestyle - enough to be uncomfortable but not enough to eat at top restaurants all the time and get a car. 40 grand in the rest of England would be much different, as would 35,000Baht in Chian Mai compared to BKK

thanks again looks like it could be upsticks and away  :D  does anyone know paddy from the piddle valley dorset uk? :o

No, but I know a Harry from Skegness.

Ah...good 'ol Skeggie... :D

btw, you can do OK on 30K Baht but it will be a pinch at first. Just don't try it in any Farang areas of BKK or other big cities.

Best of luck. :D

high all  :D  i am thinking of leaving the uk for the winter months but i need to live pretty frugally not sure of cash flow :D what would be the minimum sort of monthly outgings i could expect pay?say a few beers each evening, my only vice :o iam 58yrs young fairly fit :D im not materilistic quite capaple of living simply.i would love to hear the pros and cons of living in thailand maybe its possible to work? i am a former fitter a good handyman and earn money from photography. appreciate any advice thanks : :D

To add to my prevous post.....you can not work in Thailand without a work petmit. You can not get a work petmit without a visa. I suggest you read other posts on this forum which thoroughtly cover this subject.

For further info on housing costs may I suggest you bring up www.pattayamail.com

and click on classifieds, then on apts., condos, and houses for rent in the classified section drop down menu, for rentals in and around Pattaya. In my opinion, you cannot live very confortably on 30k a month in Bangkok unless you get very lucky and find a cheap place to live. On ther other hand, there are quite a few people living in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, and many other smaller, non tourist locations that live very nicely on that amount. Good luck, & keep us posted.

30kb a month not including rent cost and you will do just fine

??????...I only pay 1800bt for a nice studio in Muang Thong..30k would be a lovely monthly amount. not as frugal as most would have you belive. you would not get much travelling in for that tho. use local transport. eat at local food spots and you will do fine.

meal...20 bt

soft drink..20bt

big chang 36bt

bus ride 8bt

muang thong to victory monument 25bt

good luck, keep a big smile on your face and you will be well recived.

Just curious, how big are the rats and cockroaches that climb all over you in your 1800 baht place? You could save cash by spreading out a blankey on the sidewalk.

Live cheap in Thailand....?

1. go to the bank and deposit money

2. tell the bank you don't want to be allowed to withdraw more than Baht xxx a day with your card...

3. you probably will safe some money every day :o

simple

LaoPo