Raro Is Coming To Chiang Mai

raro

Hi there,

my first post in the CM forum I think, so please be gentle with me...

I'll be for a couple of days next week in CM and have some basic questions:

- where to stay? Should be close to the Meridien as the main function will be hosted there, but rather in the 1000 to 1500 Baht range including WiFi. I have been recommended the Hollanda guesthouse - is this anywhere in that area?

- How to get around? Still not sure whether I drive up there or take the plane. Want to do some sightseeing as well on that occasion

- Last not least: Anyone up for a drink on Saturday July 4th? Mrs. raro should be also around, so some place with food (any kind of), drinks and maybe later some rocknroll would be in order.

Pleased to hear!

raro

- Last not least: Anyone up for a drink on Saturday July 4th? Mrs. raro should be also around, so some place with food (any kind of), drinks and maybe later some rocknroll would be in order. raro

Theoretically, all the American expats, tourists, visitors, and hangers-on who frequent the Chiangmai forum will be at the 4th of July celebration at the stadium, drinking beer and eating hot dogs until the fireworks close the event.

The Royal Lanna is over the road from the Meridien in the Night Bazaar area. Current rates are 1,000 baht per night with two breakfasts. Free WiFi in the lobby but some of the rooms also pick up signal from unsecured WiFi points in the area.

assuming you want it to be cheaper than the meridien then the suriwongse is right across the road ifthey have standard rooms they are 1050, the royal lanna across the other road is 1100 and the Down town inn, which everone that has stayed there that I know have said a little tired but what nice staff. it is 900 per night and about 50 meters further on from the royal lanna which makes it closer to the guitar man bar that may be a venue for your music/beer etc.

more upmarket try the centara duantawan at 1800.

the problem for all may be if you need room based wifi, anyway all the prices came from www.jollythai.com where you can get details as well.

opps forgot, the suriwongse is having some rooms upgraded at the moment so availability could be limited

thanks a lot for the advise! Guitarman Bar sounds promising and the prospects of not meeting any yanks ...oooops...forgot I'm a mod now :):D

so who is in for some armbending on Saturday night?

thanks a lot for the advise! Guitarman Bar sounds promising and the prospects of not meeting any yanks ...oooops...forgot I'm a mod now :):D

will pop along tonight/tomorrow and see what is on at the guitarman and stick it on here

I have been recommended the Hollanda guesthouse - is this anywhere in that area?

It's a decent, well-run guest house located by the river, but if you're going to stay there you would be best off having your own wheels. It's not within comfortable walking distance from the center of town unless you're a really keen walker, and relying on taxi services all the time is a bit boring.

Not too far from Le Meridien, some options are Centara Duang Tawan, Royal Princess, Imperial Mae Ping, and as mentioned before, Suriwongse and Royal Lanna. They're all very 'hotelly' hotels and pretty impersonal. All of them are decent value though.

If you can get a reduced rate at the Royal Princess I think that's the one I would choose pick out of the bunch, personally.

Yes, please stick to the bars and do not come to the stadium where you just might meet some genuine people, you will be out of your element. :D

Yes, please stick to the bars and do not come to the stadium where you just might meet some genuine people, you will be out of your element. :D

So where will you be cmd?

Anywhere your not! :D

Anywhere your not! :D

But I'll be there!

great, what time we say? Do they have food? If yes, I'll be there 7-ish. If not....maybe 9-ish and we have dinner where?

His website says he has pizzas and BURGERS so we can turn this into a food thread

On a more serious note does anyone know if you can get a wheelchair into there. I think it is too much to ask that I could get my electric chair in as it hates steps.

Edited by harrry

It looks really flat when I walk by there, but I am not looking for obstructions. :)

I do not have to look for obstrutions. I find them anyway :D

we gonna lift you in the place, no worries! :D

Pizza and Burgers are fine with me, so 7-ish I'll be there. You will recognize me.

It looks really flat when I walk by there, but I am not looking for obstructions. :D

that's because you are looking at the bumps outside the Thirsty Beaver almost opposite the Guitarman.

If Nicky is still there then have a peperoni pizza - I think it is great but I am not an American so what would I know about these things :)

Have fun in CM raro - great town and a lot of nice people

CB

You are right about the bumps, but Melbourne pizza is reputed to be right up there with New York pizza. I think that you might know a thing or two! :)

Melbourne has a huge population of Italians and Greeks plus every other nationality you can name. They brought their food and culture to Australia and blessed us poor stock of Britain who thought good food was two lamb chops with three veg and potato. Yes they do make great pizza - mainly in the thicker Chicago style. Sydney seems to have more of the thinner crust New York styles. Maybe regional or may just be taste preference.

Is Nicky still at Guitarman? Last I spoke with him he was heading back overseas to take over a restaurant.

Thanks for the reply

CB

I gave the Guitar Man a test run last night and was duly impressed. Two resident Frang blokes were singing to acoustics and a NZ couple on holidays did a bunch of tunes. Didn't dare to play myself as I am prety much out of shape and those guys on stage were really good... :)

I might check in tonight again and tomorrow for sure.