Pc And Electric Bill

angiud

I use my desktop computer 24/7, due to P2P software and I'm wondering how much can weight on my monthly bill.

Configuration: Intel core 2 duo 2.4Ghz, 2 hard discs (working), 2 printers in stand by, 80% of time 24" screen off.

I'm worry is some 2000 baht/month...

I use my desktop computer 24/7, due to P2P software and I'm wondering how much can weight on my monthly bill.

Configuration: Intel core 2 duo 2.4Ghz, 2 hard discs (working), 2 printers in stand by, 80% of time 24" screen off.

I've got an idea, why don't you check your meter at 9am tommorrow morning, record the number down and then check it again 24 hours later. That will give you an idea of how much electricity you are burning in a 24 hour period. Then multiply it by 30 for a rough monthly estimate. Work out roughly what you had on (electricity wise) & PRESTO. If you wanted to get real technical, repeat this process on a day WITHOUT the PC running and you should be able to get fairly close to working out the PC usage. Tis not rocket science.

I am betting your pc will definately NOT use 2000 baht of electricity per month, more like, I'll take a stab 128 baht & 46 satang.

Typical PC at a business:

Computer running 8 hours per day with 17″ CRT on for 8 hours per day = $56.94 per year.

Computer running 8 hours per day with 17″ LCD on for 8 hours per day = $39.86 per year.

*Computer running 24 hours per day with 17″ CRT on for 8 hours per day = $110.08 per year.

*Computer running 24 hours per day with 17″ LCD on for 8 hours per day = $93 per year.

*The computers above that run for 24 hours are set to not sleep when they are not in use.

Typical PC at home:

Computer running 4 hours per day with 17″ CRT on for 4 hours = $ 28.47 per year.

Computer running 4 hours per day with 17″ LCD on for 4 hours = $ 19.93 per year.

*Computer running 24 hours per day with 17″ CRT on for 4 hours per day = $ 94.90 per year.

*Computer running 24 hours per day with 17″ LCD on for 4 hours per day = $ 86.36 per year.

*The computers above that run for 24 hours are set to not sleep when they are not in use.

The figures shown above were calculated with a computer that uses 70 watts, CRT that uses 80 watts, a LCD that uses 35 watts, and an electric company that charges $.13 kWh which is as close as I can come to the national average. Check your bill to see what your being charged. A slight change in this number makes a big difference in the final numbers.

source Electricity use

Computer running 8 hours per day with 17″ CRT on for 8 hours per day = $56.94 per year.

Computer running 8 hours per day with 17″ LCD on for 8 hours per day = $39.86 per year.

*Computer running 24 hours per day with 17″ CRT on for 8 hours per day = $110.08 per year.

*Computer running 24 hours per day with 17″ LCD on for 8 hours per day = $93 per year.

Typical PC at home:

Computer running 4 hours per day with 17″ CRT on for 4 hours = $ 28.47 per year.

Computer running 4 hours per day with 17″ LCD on for 4 hours = $ 19.93 per year.

*Computer running 24 hours per day with 17″ CRT on for 4 hours per day = $ 94.90 per year.

*Computer running 24 hours per day with 17″ LCD on for 4 hours per day = $ 86.36 per year.

The figures shown above were calculated with a computer that uses 70 watts, CRT that uses 80 watts, a LCD that uses 35 watts, and an electric company that charges $.13 kWh which is as close as I can come to the national average. Check your bill to see what your being charged. A slight change in this number makes a big difference in the final numbers.

source Electricity use

How much do they charge per kW/h in the US?

Typical PC at home:

source Electricity use

How much do they charge per kW/h in the US?

COMPARISON Utility costs US/THAILAND Source BOI

If my pc use 83 wattsonly, why I have a 450 watts power unit?

Most power supplies are not rated as true RMS power but VA which means real power would be around 300 Watts. It also depends on how much you load your PC up. A high performance video card can easily exceed that 83 watts in itself when running full out. Plus, depends on how many hard drives you have in the computer, Mainboard/CPU speed, etc.. I have an APC UPS that lets me know how much power is being drawn and in my case it is ~200 Watts on normal operation.

Its not going to cost much to run with the screen off just downloading, its just passing a few bits around, but then you don't need much for that anyway.  I have a 6 year old laptop that provides its own power backup built in and it can torrent, download  and check email as well as any 30k baht PC does.   It runs 24/7 and uses little power at all.  I shut down all the big stuff at night.  3ghz 1333FSB 2core8400 8600GS .  We don't run any AC . (for wimps  :) )   Sat. modem and laptop are on 24/7.   1000 to 1200 Baht a month power bills.   Just the same as they were before we got an internet connection and started doing this.  I am betting the refer in the kitchen, and Fans around the house are 90% of our power bill.   

So do we have an answer to how much it costs ? I guess the nightime is just downloading and not processing.

Based on my PC power + LCD (200W, tariff of 3Baht/kWh)

24 hours X 200 watts = 4800

4800/1000 = 4.8kWh x3 Baht = 14.4Baht/day

x30 days = 432Baht/month.

tariff varies from place to place and stepped based on usage but a 2007 report shows ~ 3.0 Baht/kWh.

Worse case 6.0 Baht/kWh = 864 Baht/month (Again based on my computer with 3 hard drives, 8800GT video, E6600 CPU, DVD drive). Reduce if not having the LCD on all the time and lower video card, CPU.

I agree about 400 to 500 baht a month. For your setup I would sugset looking at Tom's hardware which if you look at the reviews will tell you aproximately how many watts each part is consuming they also have some good power supply calculators. Dont forget all the the other bits and pieces transformers etc. APC ups are very efficent but use a lot of power as well. Dont forget your router and its power supply. Some of the later graphics cards which are overclocked run at almost the same wattage at standby, and full speed. Then you are getting into big BAHT. To cut your costs turn of anything you are not using.

I doubt your PC and printers are consuming Bt2k a month. What is the rate in the electric bill? If you are paying direct to MEA, rate is less than Bt4 per unit. In typical condo, charge rate is at Bt5 per unit. Some rental apartments are charging as high as Bt8 per unit.

My PC is on 24/7 and 22" LCD screen is on half the time. Processing runs through the night. Air-con 20,000BTU unit on 14 hours a day, and 9000BTU unit on 9 hours a day. Electricity bill from MEA is around Bt2.8-3k a month.

so what, (if any) difference does one of them black boxes for sale at markets make to a monthly bill?

Absolutely zip mate :)

There are a couple of threads about regarding these beasties, all conclude they achieve no measurable saving in a domestic environment.

• 4 weeks later...